Coopers Community

Sourdough

ben 10

14 minutes ago, beach_life said:

Hmmmm... looks like hooch to me.. How was the smell?

Smell is fine, neutral, nothing sad about that.  Does not smell sour or off or bready.

I am familiar with the characteristics of hooch and usually just stir it in when next feeding. 

Maybe I will taste it to see if it is alcoholic-ish.

Tossing up if I can save it and not lose a months mothering work.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

Smell is fine, neutral, nothing sad about that.  Does not smell sour or off or bready.

I am familiar with the characteristics of hooch and usually just stir it in when next feeding. 

Maybe I will taste it to see if it is alcoholic-ish.

Tossing up if I can save it and not lose a months mothering work.

@beach_life Beachcomber will know much more @iBooz2 Boozer, but my gut feel is to keep it and maybe try to maybe increase the content of the Rye in the mix and back off the white a bit and see if that brings things to an even keel... might make the yeast work a bit harder...  and maybe reduce the total amount of moisture a little mate?  I have done a tiny bit of this stuff... but hey - I might be completely wrong.

That is just what sorta came into mind... 

And the only other thought - maybe organic flours might help?  

But hey - yeah - there are loads of far more expert folk on this thread... just my very basic thoughts mate... 

And especially as I feel for yer re losing the month's work mate 👍

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On 9/22/2022 at 9:19 PM, Pezzza said:

@beach_life Beachcomber will know much more @iBooz2 Boozer, but my gut feel is to keep it and maybe try to maybe increase the content of the Rye in the mix and back off the white a bit and see if that brings things to an even keel... might make the yeast work a bit harder...  and maybe reduce the total amount of moisture a little mate?  I have done a tiny bit of this stuff... but hey - I might be completely wrong.

That is just what sorta came into mind... 

And the only other thought - maybe organic flours might help?  

But hey - yeah - there are loads of far more expert folk on this thread... just my very basic thoughts mate... 

And especially as I feel for yer re losing the month's work mate 👍

@Pezzza and @beach_life  Thank you both as I managed to save my starter.  It was not moldy as first thought but I scraped the darkened crust off the top and put most of the good stuff underneath it into a fresh clean jar. 

Yes I always use 2 x tablespoons of rye and 2 x tablespoons of whole wheat flour and similar quantity of chlorine free water when I feed it.  Goes nuts with this combo at 22 C and has to be fed twice a day or it will rip your arms off. 

After a few more days of refreshing and feeding it was back to normal and I made a couple of french style baguettes out of the discard.

Its now back in a fresh jar in the fridge after a good feed, just to slow it down till next use.

On 9/23/2022 at 7:16 AM, beach_life said:

I think it looks okay, I'd still go with the dump and top up regime.

Thanks again guys.  👍

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 9/22/2022 at 12:18 PM, iBooz2 said:

The jars I use have a SS lid and silicone lip to seal and make air tight

Only just saw this @iBooz2 Boozer.

Personally I dont seal it, my jars just have a glass lid on and any gas produced escapes. Dunno if this would have an impact on it going off mind. I’ll post a pic after

Edited by stquinto
  • Like 1

The starter after a month in the fridge without feeding, and after splitting it in two and feeding. One will go back in the fridge and the other I’ll make a loaf or two.

The glass lids just sit on top. These Weck jars are great

A963378F-44ED-4F57-9FEF-A4E76424E0EC.jpeg

92FFD7A8-45B5-4B68-B444-45D1052C8F5E.jpeg

0B65A48B-AC8E-435E-B410-24720D3D9B15.jpeg

Edited by stquinto
Typo
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, stquinto said:

The starter after a month in the fridge without feeding, and after splitting it in two and feeding. One will go back in the fridge and the other I’ll make a loaf or two.

that's little. Mine is half a 750mL container. I use 3 or 4 tablespoons when making  pizza dough

• Like 4

3 hours ago, beach_life said:

that's little. Mine is half a 750mL container. I use 3 or 4 tablespoons when making  pizza dough

I just fed it : 50gm starter, 100g flour and 100g water. Once it puffs up I'll be able to make a cuppla loaves, using 50g of starter for a 500g loaf.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, stquinto said:

Only just saw this @iBooz2 Boozer.

Personally I dont seal it, my jars just have a glass lid on and any gas produced escapes. Dunno if this would have an impact on it going off mind. I’ll post a pic after

@stquinto , Mine did not go 'off', it just needed a good feed again.  I only firmly press on the tops when they are in the fridge to stop other fridge bugs & things (you know what I mean) from getting access and spoiling it.  Similar to the jar setup you use, weight of lids and all would do the same thing IMO.

The sourdough starter would ferment very slow in the cold and any gasses would push past the seal anyway so all good there.  When I have the starter in my temperature controlled environment I just sit the lids on loosely so it can breathe as it goes nuts at 22 C and needs to be fed and vented a lot more.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 2/5/2023 at 4:43 AM, stquinto said:

I reckon this is good enough to bake with

3F2EA5DC-2CCC-47C8-A584-1BBDD2411B92.jpeg

Yep mine is too.  Two heaped tablespoons of rye flour and same of whole wheat flour and just enough water to get the consistency right and its ripe and ready to go.  Been making pizza bases with discards.

Sourdough starter is nice and healthy.png

• Like 2

• 3 months later...