Coopers Community

thoughts suv's

ozdevil

Gday All

well its time for a new vechile  my requirements must be SUV only,  must be as new as new  as possible
with a small budget of $35000 or less

I am hoping for a 7 seater X-trail, i possibly will not be able to pick this up in the st-l model 2021  as i cant push the budget that far

also looking at the outlander from mitsubishi  

a mazda cx 5 if i can  get one around that price

other suggestions would be good  even if 2019 low ks

cheers
Mick

7 hours ago, ozdevil said:

well its time for a new vechile  my requirements must be SUV only, 

Don't close your mind to the latest release of Chinese SUVs.  You might be suprised.  You can get a brand new one for around or under $35000. It can also give you a bench mark to work from. 

I don't envy you having to navigate the used car market. It can be overwhelming.

thanks for those that replied i spent a busy weekend test driving   every Suv on the market even an Austin martin  they didnt even let me in the door, they thought i was  a hobo  floating around the lane ways of melbourne 😂

1 car that didnt impress  me was the havel h2  , was hoping they would have had a h6  in Stock  but there is no stock at the moment as they are awaiting for the 2021 model which is due in oz next month or the 1 after..   but  from the h2 point of view   getting in and out of the vechile  was not great specially if yur a tall person i kept hitting my head on the roof ,  once in the car i was fine howver the wife started to pi$$ herself laughing and said wecant purchase this model your heads is only mm from the roof  you would have to drive with the roof open (it was a luxury model)
wouldnt be fun on a melbournes cold frosty  mornings.  price was fair  this model but is built for the chinese me thinks    at the end of the day.

the handling was that much better once on the road,  steering felt a tad unresponsive and heavy and the slightest round about it felt as that it was going to roll  as it tried to get around.
it was rather noisy for a 2020 model vehicle   

most cars  we drove was quite good  to drive  and there is always fors and what nots for everything you purchase 

i have some serious thinking to do  but the wife is having most of the say

she has narrowed her thoughts down to these SUV's   in no particular order of Preference

nissan qashqai
mitsubishi Eclipse
Morris Garage  ZST Essence
Morris Garage HS Vibe

Before looking  she had her heart set on the Havel H6  until she  drove and sat in the H2  

my vechiles of choice  in no particular order

CX-5  mazda (had to rule this out  was way to much dollars even 2nd hand )
Mitsubishi outlander   (would have liked this for the 7 seats)  but was just a fraction out of budget)
Nissan  X-trail  7 seater  ST  or the ST-l  like the looks of both  

from my choice i have gone the Nissan X-trail ST 7 seater  its pushing my budget with the on road costs

I think  Mrs Ozdevil has her heart   on the Morris Garage HS Vibe

To be honest when we test drove this and being  a car from  China i pretty shocked for a midsized vechile in how it drove and responded

while it is owned and operated by the chinese group SAIC    

She also like the ZST  which is a smaller suv  but for me to get  into this  it was like getting in the H2 havel
The dash display was pretty trippy and fully digital display looking like ya in some spaceship control centre

anyway    I am pretty certain the boss will over power me in some form  as we will be making a decision through the week

Cheers
Mick

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ozdevil said:

thanks for those that replied i spent a busy weekend test driving   every Suv on the market even an Austin martin  they didnt even let me in the door, they thought i was  a hobo  floating around the lane ways of melbourne

😄 Maybe because you couldn't spell Aston Martin? 😄 

Did you bget to try any Hyundai models? I like the brand for reliability, economy and bang for buck in what I've had (2001 Accent and 2012 Elantra) but with knee and back issues I'm going to be looking at a taller car. I currently go head first into the Elantra.

So I was planning (when the time comes) to look at the Hyundai SUV range. You could get a brand new Tucson for less than your budget or step up the models for 2nd hand. I'm just curious as to how they drive if you got into one.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Journeyman said:

😄 Maybe because you couldn't spell Aston Martin? 😄 

Did you bget to try any Hyundai models? I like the brand for reliability, economy and bang for buck in what I've had (2001 Accent and 2012 Elantra) but with knee and back issues I'm going to be looking at a taller car. I currently go head first into the Elantra.

So I was planning (when the time comes) to look at the Hyundai SUV range. You could get a brand new Tucson for less than your budget or step up the models for 2nd hand. I'm just curious as to how they drive if you got into one.

Mate the Tuscon drove nice mate, i did like it to be honest ,   our  current car is a Hyundai Elentra we brought brand new in 2014 been a good car but way to small for us, only reason why we are updating  like yourself we have knee and back  issues(me more so )  trying to get in the back seat when i have had a few when my folks are over (my father will not sit in the back of anyones car and flatly refuses to go anywhere if he is not sitting in the front)

The swmbo  wanted something different to a Hyundai this time round  and her taste in Hyundai suv's is for the Santa fe (never going to happen on our budget 2nd hand or new)  didnt even bother  asking for run in santa fe   

yes we still can get a tuscon the desicion is final till swmbo says what she wants.. (i very rarely drive the car, as i drive for a living dont want to drive  in my spare time).

Mind you i can get a good grand knocked of before even talking to a saleperson

I think Hyundai range of vechiles are reliable and the economy is good and are nice tidy car

well desicion will be made soon enough as i really do not want to go back test driving again..

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ozdevil said:

and her taste in Hyundai suv's is for the Santa fe (never going to happen on our budget 2nd hand or new)

Don't be too sure. Quick Google for Adelaide found a 2107 Santa Fe ActiveX for ~$35K and a 2016 FE Elite Crdi (4X4) DM SER II for just under that. 😄

Edited by Journeyman
  • Like 1

We bought a new 2019 Nissan XTrail for $31K but it's the base model ST, 2.5 litre, only 5 seats, 2 WD.
I like it for it's roominess. I'm 185cm and 120kg. Even in the back seats there's plenty of room.
We usually drive in "economy" mode and so sometimes it can seem a little whimpy when you put your foot down. 
I can recommend it as a good car for the price but I'm sure there's better cars on the market.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Journeyman said:

Don't be too sure. Quick Google for Adelaide found a 2107 Santa Fe ActiveX for ~$35K and a 2016 FE Elite Crdi (4X4) DM SER II for just under that. 😄

I just mentioned that search to swmbo and she said nope  lowest i will go is 2018...  but i said you will be getting creature comforts that we both will enjoy, she said well its staying there

i said  but sweatheart she just said shut ya mouth

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

We bought a new 2019 Nissan XTrail for $31K but it's the base model ST, 2.5 litre, only 5 seats, 2 WD.
I like it for it's roominess. I'm 185cm and 120kg. Even in the back seats there's plenty of room.
We usually drive in "economy" mode and so sometimes it can seem a little whimpy when you put your foot down. 
I can recommend it as a good car for the price but I'm sure there's better cars on the market.

x trail 5 seat had a smaller  boot space  for our needs   

if your finding your vechile whimpy  when ya put ya foot down , you can get a  ultimate 9 (IDrive)  that is a throttle controller and will have  several settings such as Auto mode   economy mode to 9 settings   and ultimate mode 9 settings as well    great for when ya need that bit of grunt of the lights or towing or overtaking

there easy to install   and dont interfere with manufacturers warrenty either   its basicly plug and play, alot of people swear by them.

we did have our heart set on the x trail as i got to drive one about 2 months ago as a friend of mine owns an x trail and loved it  and still i prefer the x trail to be honest but she gets the final say

• Like 2

@ozdevil For us the whimpiness isn't a deal breaker. We don't have a tow bar and we tend to drive like old people. 😄  If we are smart enough to remember to press the button we can always switch it over to "power" mode if more grunt is required. We wouldn't bother with a modification.
I was merely pointing out a deficiency that might be relevant to you.
In relation to the XTrail's boot space, were you aware the rear seats slide forward a fair way?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MUZZY said:

@ozdevil For us the whimpiness isn't a deal breaker. We don't have a tow bar and we tend to drive like old people. 😄  If we are smart enough to remember to press the button we can always switch it over to "power" mode if more grunt is required. We wouldn't bother with a modification.
In relation to the XTrail's boot space, were you aware the rear seats slide forward a fair way?

yes was full aware of it mate     but  you have to then forgo alot of legroom  if the front passengers like the seats all the way back 

i believe  legroom on the rear seats  is a must with seats  from the front right back    , ok if just touching the front seat  

i actually looked at the 7 seater  with the seats up   and thought hmmm to give room for those in the rear a chance of sitting in some comfort , i pull the middle seats forward halfy way and front drivers seat right back   this wouldnt be good.

having said that  for my normal day to day with me and the wife  we could have the rear seats forward not a problem

Friday and Saturdays we usually have a carefull   so thats where we lose on the boot space

x trail is still an option  as a 5 seater

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

Apart from power to tow Caravans etc & of course genuine rugged Outback driving where all of this is a must, some seem to forget the speed limits are 100-110 max.

I like power & all of the rest but I don't find it such a big deal if you are driving in the city/suburbs as most do apart from the dinky di adventurers who go off road.

Maybe as @MUZZY  says ... We don't have a tow bar and we tend to drive like old people    there would be less accidents & the road toll not so high.

In closing I am aware of it's like to get stuck behind someone on the highway travelling 30-40 km's under the speed limit.  🥵

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, ozdevil said:

x trail is still an option  as a 5 seater

We were looking at an Outlander as well before choosing the Nissan but the decision was probably based more on the finance deal than the cars. Nissan had a 1% interest rate at the time. Borrowed $28K and only have to pay back about $28.5K over 3 years. That's pretty cheap money.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CLASSIC said:

Apart from power to tow Caravans etc & of course genuine rugged Outback driving where all of this is a must, some seem to forget the speed limits are 100-110 max.

I like power & all of the rest but I don't find it such a big deal if you are driving in the city/suburbs as most do apart from the dinky di adventurers who go off road.

Maybe as @MUZZY  says ... We don't have a tow bar and we tend to drive like old people    there would be less accidents & the road toll not so high.

In closing I am aware of it's like to get stuck behind someone on the highway travelling 30-40 km's under the speed limit.  🥵

I am not a need for speed type of a guy  as i want my vehicles to last and not be thrashed to the shizen housen 

The throttle controller is a more of a responsive thing then being able to  get somewhere quicker,  of course you get that idiot  that becuase he has more get up and go wants to speed.

To the comment i underlined

i think your not far off the money but  is not the biggest offender in my opinion of how accidents are happening... Driving like old people these can be the biggest hinderence of accidents
becuase they hesitate, they are not confident on the hwys and freeways but they are only a percentage of the cause of Accidents

Modern day cars and there tech over those that  have very little tech to nothing

While safety is getting better this is not happening in older cars where an older car is not going re-act like a moden technoly  with brake assist  adaptive cruise and lane assist etc
some of these modern cars just set adaptive cruise control and set a distance to how far back from the car in front a nd that car in front maybe  has no assist except for his own control 
and the new car with all the safety is sitting far to close  and car front slams breaks on,   and bang rearend

Speed is killer as there is always 1 muppet that needs to think he is in the Monarco grand prix becuase he woke up at 7am and has to be at work 10 minutes later weaving in and out of the traffic and next minute bang  his dead or has killed some  bugga

I have been Professionally driving  majority of life,  i would hate to think how many kms i have done in my time.....  i just think the road toll is just not speed.   its a combanation of lot of things such as new tech to old

people wanting to eat breakfast with the car in front tailgating   mobile phones

i am with you and muzzy   though and i only suggested  a throttle controller to the muzz man as he said his x trail is a bit  whimpy  and may have wanted a better response from the throttle

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ozdevil said:

I just mentioned that search to swmbo and she said nope  lowest i will go is 2018...  but i said you will be getting creature comforts that we both will enjoy, she said well its staying there

i said  but sweatheart she just said shut ya mouth

If your prepared to go older The Toyota Landcruiser 100 Series is now a very good buy. If you can get a Sarah Diesel, one produced in the later years of the series they are worth a look at.

Most of them haven't been modified yet, body lifts, re mapping of engine chips etc.

A lot of them are one owners many now being sold by our seniors ready to down size.

The prices of used Landcruiser's are also rising at present due to delivery issues creating a backlog of orders.

With Landcruiser's you either like them or you don't as many find them far to big for city use.

2 minutes ago, Pickles Jones said:

If your prepared to go older The Toyota Landcruiser 100 Series is now a very good buy. If you can get a Sarah Diesel, one produced in the later years of the series they are worth a look at.

Most of them haven't been modified yet, body lifts, re mapping of engine chips etc.

A lot of them are one owners many now being sold by our seniors ready to down size.

The prices of used Landcruiser's are also rising at present due to delivery issues creating a backlog of orders.

With Landcruiser's you either like them or you don't as many find them far to big for city use.

We are not in the market for a land cruiser mate,  would love another and so would the good wife  and its just a waste of a vehicle for what we do  as we dont go to far off road  or tow anything big these days as the boat  we had is no longer with us   ..

if i was in the market i would look at the 100 series  and ya right  you either love or hate them  like the nissan patrols

• Like 1

My needs are a bit different. I want something tall enough I can get into it normally, a tep up rather than a sit down seat. Doesn't have to be a full step up, but most sedans etc. I have to stick my head in there then with hand on console, swing my butt in, then the legs.

On top of that I can see a time coming soon where we're going to want to tow a van or camping trailer set up - I'd like something with the torque to pull some weight and stay at highway speeds. In comfort. 😄 I also want the acceleration - the ability to plant the foot and get a response will save you more times than brakes will.

I'm not a fan of all the computer assist stuff, but what can you do - they all have it now. I think in part it CAUSES some of the accidents - many younger people can't drive and never learned how - they learned how to get a licence. Then they get a car that foes most of the driving for them and in an emergency they have bugger all reactions to save them. 

Judgement is also a major issue. People will sit behind a slow driver when there are clear opportunities to pass easily and safely but they sit so close, anyone behind them has to take 3 or 4 cars at once instead of being able to leapfrog the line. Watch people in car parks - they have no idea at all how long their car is and wil do a 3 or 4 point turn getting out of a space that should have been a "back out and go' move. Watch them at corners - many of them need like a kilometre of clear road before they will move out. Watch them try to merge onto a highway - they edge out into 110 km/h traffic doing maybe 80 km/h. That's DANGEROUS!

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Journeyman said:

My needs are a bit different. I want something tall enough I can get into it normally, a tep up rather than a sit down seat. Doesn't have to be a full step up, but most sedans etc. I have to stick my head in there then with hand on console, swing my butt in, then the legs.

On top of that I can see a time coming soon where we're going to want to tow a van or camping trailer set up - I'd like something with the torque to pull some weight and stay at highway speeds. In comfort. 😄 I also want the acceleration - the ability to plant the foot and get a response will save you more times than brakes will.

I'm not a fan of all the computer assist stuff, but what can you do - they all have it now. I think in part it CAUSES some of the accidents - many younger people can't drive and never learned how - they learned how to get a licence. Then they get a car that foes most of the driving for them and in an emergency they have bugger all reactions to save them. 

Judgement is also a major issue. People will sit behind a slow driver when there are clear opportunities to pass easily and safely but they sit so close, anyone behind them has to take 3 or 4 cars at once instead of being able to leapfrog the line. Watch people in car parks - they have no idea at all how long their car is and wil do a 3 or 4 point turn getting out of a space that should have been a "back out and go' move. Watch them at corners - many of them need like a kilometre of clear road before they will move out. Watch them try to merge onto a highway - they edge out into 110 km/h traffic doing maybe 80 km/h. That's DANGEROUS!

I totally agree with everything you say, I am 6ft 2" & even the Ford Escape & can get in with headspace to clear, seats mold into your back, drive on log trips with leg room & arrive in comfort.

I have a towbar but only tow a small trailer occasionally so my needs are relatively simple. I stick to the speed limits & even then as you would now on the freeway encounter all of the tailgaters, panic speedsters & those crawling along blocking the lane right & left.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

I am 6ft 2" & even the Ford Escape & can get in with headspace to clear

My issue isn't height, it's bad back hip and knees. Sitting my bum on the seat and swinging in or bending sideways with one leg inside can put back/hip out or twinge the knees so they ache for hours.

4 minutes ago, Journeyman said:

My issue isn't height, it's bad back hip and knees. Sitting my bum on the seat and swinging in or bending sideways with one leg inside can put back/hip out or twinge the knees so they ache for hours.

Well that wouldn't be fun, I guess I am lucky in that area. In retrospect I should be thankful for the many years of travelling OZ driving for 10-12 hours at a time stopping only for fuel or food. Even know at my age I still jump in & arrive refreshed - must be all of the good home brew ( & free of injuries )

Cheers.

Gday All

well i have just arrived hoe from a trip to s.A and the bride says i sent you something in ya email  , i have decided on the car and colour but i am only telling you the colour
of the new car   

So i look and was hoping to see the car she chose   but nope i get this picture  just showing me the colour she wants

1072467361_newcarpaint.jpg.7fedab7fbc5016d560563d4432edb288.jpg

I said i like the colour , come on ya have to tell me the car ya want so we can order it

She said nope not telling you the car    

i said with out me how ya putting the order in 

She has gone and ordered it behind my back  and i have no clue as whats going to turn up in my drive way

I am just wondering if its a  red ferrari   ,  i hope not 1 iwont fit in it nor will she it wont do our knees any good and we cant afford that price tag lol

cheers
Mick

• Haha 2