Coopers Community

Going BAIB - Any advice appreciated

Scottie

2 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

👍👍👍

... or for me @Otto Von Blotto Kelsey happy if anywhere between 1060 and 1080 Ha Ha Ha !?!

(well usually not that far from 1060 meh)

😂

I'm not hung up on trying to get the highest efficiency possible. Consistency is more important because that's what makes recipe design easy. My efficiency is pretty consistent aside from high OG brews, but I make the allowance for it when I do them. Last one I did a reiterated mash which gave me I think 68/69% BH efficiency, with about 4 kg more grain than I normally use. I thought that was a pretty decent outcome. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I thought that was a pretty decent outcome. 

Absolutely... and a few more kilos of grain when yer buying 25kg bags of the stuff, does not break the bank!

4 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Last one I did a reiterated mash

Pray tell @Otto Von Blotto Kelsey WTF is a "reiterated mash"?! 

Goodness me there is so much to learn...

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Absolutely... and a few more kilos of grain when yer buying 25kg bags of the stuff, does not break the bank!

It was a one off for my big stout I had on tap last winter. 

A reiterated mash is basically splitting the grain weight up into two mashes instead of throwing the whole 9kg of whatever it was into the urn at once. I mashed 5kg of the base malt for the first mash, then emptied that out of the bag and mashed the rest in the wort from the first mash. From then it was just as normal, drain, squeeze, boil etc. It's easier to manage large grain bills although obviously takes more time. I think the brew day was about 8 hours. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Consistency is more important because that's what makes recipe design easy.

100% with you there. My 1st 30 or so brews were very consistent but when I introduced the HLT, HERMES coil and the mash it went all over the place. One brew came in 9 points over so a brew that was suppose to be in the low 4% was in the mid 5% ABV. Got that under control now though. Increased the BH efficiency % on the software about 4 brews ago and came in 1 point under yesterday.  So now have that sorted.  Coincidently my attenuation % has also increased and stabilized.  Obviously my mash temps must have been all over the place.  They are now stable and it appears to have made a difference to the sugar profile.  

3 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I mashed 5kg of the base malt for the first mash

I do something like that fairly often.... but just leave the first batch of grain in my basket....  and then add the last few kilos...  ; )

3 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

I do something like that fairly often.... but just leave the first batch of grain in my basket....  and then add the last few kilos...  ; )

Yeah I didn't have a pulley system at the time, didn't really want to be trying to lift 9kg of wet grains out of an urn by myself, which I would have if I didn't empty the bag before the second half of the grains went in 🤣

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

I assume that you make an allowance for the rinse water when you do your strike water volume?

Well usually the recipe gives the boil amount and if it doesn't specify a sparge quantity I just adjust accordingly. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ozlizard said:

Well usually the recipe gives the boil amount and if it doesn't specify a sparge quantity I just adjust accordingly. 

The boil volume should be the same every batch if you're brewing the same size batches and boiling for the same amount of time each brew. For example, mine is always around 31 litres pre boil. 

If I brew a recipe that's not my own I just scale volumes and ingredient weights to suit my batch size, rather than adjust volumes to suit the recipe.

Edited by Otto Von Blotto
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Yeah I didn't have a pulley system at the time,

Yes well I did an 8kg brew to start my AG career... and had a partner helping... and worked out real quick I needed to organise a pulley system like you had kindly posted Kelsey - that was of huge help (thank you @Otto Von Blotto Kelsey!) ... just one of these excellent learnings available on this site ; )    

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I find a coarse crush gives me better efficiency than a fine crush, but YMMV. Best to just figure that one out for your system. 

I completed the brew with same efficiency as I've been  getting with my Mash Tun, 62%. The interesting thing is with this BAIB mash I noticed inconsistency in the crush. The last few crushes I've done the Mill has stalled at low speeds and I need to pump up the revs, same today. So I might open up the gap a bit and slow the Mill down to increase the dwell time between the rollers.

Cheers

16 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

I have done that a few times for a massive RIS, mine was 11.5%.

It helps as you have residual enzymes from the previous mash which aid with the conversion of the next load of malt.

• Like 1