Coopers Community

Is it ... diacetyl?

I am actually turning the house upside down right now looking for a little fan I've got, but I can't put my hands on it. Would have been worth a try at least since it'll be a while before I place another order from the LHBS.

So I guess heat mats are a thing. What other sources of heat could be used if I don't go the belt option?

Light globe under a terracotta pot is one. My method is filling an Erlenmeyer flask with water and boiling it then putting that in the fridge. Covered with foil to prevent as much steam as I can from escaping. In lieu of that, a hot water bottle could be used.

Edited by Otto Von Blotto

I’ve used a light globe before actually, aaaages ago, but it kinda baked the krausen onto the fermenter so probably won’t do that again. As for the other two I’d rather something a bit more controlled.

Still can’t find that darned fan unfortunately   Maybe it’s I the shed ...

@King Ruddager I also have a large FV fridge and been contemplating two FV's at once. 

Go and buy a 12 v DC plug pack (good quality with electrical approval sticker) with 2.5 mm DC plug on the end and also buy 4 x 100 mm 12 V computer fans (get the ones with ceramic bearings) and mount two each side of your FV shelf.  One pair blowing up and the other pair blowing down so as to create a circular eddy of air.  Buy a 2.5 mm DC socket to accept the plug pack power, a variable resistor, volume control type, to adjust the fans speed and wire all four fans in parallel on the 12 volt line coming out of the variable resistor.

You would need a hole-saw to cut the required sized holes in your shelf.  The fans are easily mounted just by some self tapping screws. Mount the heat pad or belt in the lower section.

I had thought with mine, (not suggesting you go down this path) getting two replacement temp probes by themselves and wiring them up to a simple comparator circuit like a 741 op-amp chip which is easily configured that way and feeding the output of that that into a single controller.  That way the controller would only see the one temp (call it ambient of the two) and operate on or off from that signal.

Cheers - AL

Edited by iBooz2

19 hours ago, Titan said:

You have to be wary with light bulbs unless low voltage. Fermenting in a fridge causes condensation. Not good for anything thats not IP rated.

Yup.  Something like this might be OK though - 60W max, 12V designed for garage/outdoor use - but not sure if LED bulbs will generate enough heat?   The existing plug will probably have to be cut off so you can pass the cable through whatever hole is already have been drilled in the fridge, and then replace it with another.     

view?key=8ac4ab2efe065fcef52368501e9709f3&b=productimages&w=632&h=632

Edited by BlackSands

Well, I think it's fading from the first two batches. A third batch which was bottled before I became aware of this problem (again, I've been power-brewing in quick succession for a while) is showing the same signs early on. I think I re-used the same S04 in this one as I used in the pale? Possibly also for my "golden stout" which is currently fermenting. Would have to go to the video ref to know for sure.

On 6/6/2020 at 1:07 PM, King Ruddager said:

I am actually turning the house upside down right now looking for a little fan I've got, but I can't put my hands on it. Would have been worth a try at least since it'll be a while before I place another order from the LHBS.

So I guess heat mats are a thing. What other sources of heat could be used if I don't go the belt option?

I had this same problem this week, I had one fermenter on top with the probe on sitting at 19c with a heat belt sitting loosely around the base on the shelf and not touching the FV at all, then I brewed a pale with US05 on Saturday and put it on the bottom shelf, I checked on Monday morning and the lower beer had dropped to 16 and was very sluggish, not wanting peach esters in my US05 beer I filled a 5L glass carboy with hot water and put it next to the fermenter and within 6 hours it was back to 19c and bubbling hard! I put it in again last night but just with 26c water and this morning the bottom fermenter was now 20c and bubbling like crazy, so a hot water source in the fridge works really well as an ambient heat source that lasts for several hours 

Edited by Tempestlight