Coopers Community

Kveik ( mental Viking yeast)

Mark D Pirate

42 minutes ago, Ben 10 said:

I'll grab a satchel of the Imperial one. maybe.

if i can find it.

Will send you details for a local HBS here in Radelaide that stocks it. 

Won't post it public since think that breaches TOS. 

However I'm willing to mail you a dried culture since its almost indestructible by all accounts.... Bag of flakes of a dark,  resinous substance in a zip seal bag won't look suspect coming from Adelaide surely ? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Captain1525230099 said:

Will be indebted to you Mark if you could.

No problem,  building up my culture still. 

Will dry some out for postage since will likely explode in transit otherwise ( I chit you not,  this stuff is like Rambo on a bad day)  

People have been freely sharing these yeasts for hundreds of years,  it's very much in the spirit of the style. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beerlust said:

Sorry for the late question on this one, what is the "BIG" thing about this strain? Hard to get hold of? Rare? What are it's flavour properties etc.?

Just curious.

Cheers,

Lusty.

Can Ferment at very high temps and still produces beer with no off flavours, ferments very quickly and produces different fruity flavours according to strain.  If that makes sense.

1 minute ago, The Captain1525230099 said:

Can Ferment at very high temps and still produces beer with no off flavours, ferments very quickly and produces different fruity flavours according to strain.  If that makes sense.

Yup. Thanks.

Sounds like the Coopers Ale kit yeast??! 😜

😁

Cheers,

Lusty.

16 hours ago, Beerlust said:

Sorry for the late question on this one, what is the "BIG" thing about this strain? Hard to get hold of? Rare? What are it's flavour properties etc.?

Just curious.

Cheers,

Lusty.

As mentioned it happily ferments at very high/ variable temps without off flavours. 

Very fast starting,  this batch had less than an hour lag time and was at high krausen within 4 hours 

Extremely flocculant , turned off the stirplate and could literally watch it drop out 

78-83% apparent attenuation 

High alcohol tolerance 13-16%

Low ph tolerance 

Can be dried easily by home brewers 

Currently chatting with a doctoral student in Denmark about it and in his lab tests it's showing some kill factors as well  , Low mutation rates .

So it's very different to the other Sacc.  Strains,  not suited to every beer style of course but I have a few plans to push the limits with it 

• Like 3

Annnnd it's in the glass.... 

Clarity will improve since I only fast carbed it this morning (no finings used) so shook it like it owed me money 

Kviek plays really well with rye,  I was right about hops and esters melding well.

Citrus,  orange and tropical fruits,  low pine / dankness

spicy/ earthy malt with bready backbone and a smooth, clean bitterness .

Doesn't taste green at all , no off flavours at all 

Have a cube of my version of DSGA warming up and a vitality starter spinning away so going again!!   

6 bloody days pitch to package..... I love this stuff!!  

IMG20181229124924.jpg

• Like 11

This stuff really is mental.... Experienced users are encouraging me to pitch even lower than I have been. 

I'm talking using the equivalent of a single pack of dry yeast in a double batch of 1.060 mental... Mind being blown regularly. 

Good work @Wobbly74 , it's a bloody nice beer. What else did you try while there?  

Drive safe 

Just now, Mark D Pirate said:

This stuff really is mental.... Experienced users are encouraging me to pitch even lower than I have been. 

I'm talking using the equivalent of a single pack of dry yeast in a double batch of 1.060 mental... Mind being blown regularly. 

Good work @Wobbly74 , it's a bloody nice beer. What else did you try while there?  

Drive safe 

Err, basically everything 🙂 

Bitter, pale ale, Belgian pale, dubel, passionfruit sour, red kveik ale, 46&2, dunkel, saison...maybe one other?

Hahaha good man,  like Pokemon.... Gotta catch em all!!  

The head brewer/owner is a champ,  very supportive of our local brew club which isn't overly surprising since he was founding president .

Wealth of knowledge on farmhouse and non yeast ferments and a solid brewer too 

• 4 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, Ben 10 said:

where from?

Not sure of the supplier (I didn’t organise it) but it is coming from Maine.

It looks like we are getting Horindal, Voss, Laerdal and Mitbust strains.

I will let you know if I successfully manage to dry it and I can send you some.