Coopers Community

Tom Selleck IPA

Hairy

On 2/27/2019 at 8:44 AM, Hairy said:

Anyway, if your argument against using Magnum as a bittering hop is that it is too smooth and you prefer more 'bite' then fair enough. If your argument is that it has no flavour then I don't believe that is the case.

Given most of my pale ales are significantly late hopped this would probably overpower the flavour produced from a 60 minute addition from any hop.

So @Hairy the conclusion is that Magnum IS a useful bittering hop then @60 ?

2 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

So @Hairy the conclusion is that Magnum IS a useful bittering hop then @60 ?

It provides a good, clean, smooth bitterness and it has a decent AA% so you don’t have to use much. 

I can confirm that it is a much better for bittering than for flavour or aroma 😜

I haven’t used it in a while. Lately I have been using Centennial to bitter my pales ales and Target for for ESB. I really haven’t noticed much any difference in my Pale ales.

• Thanks 1

Thanks @Hairy mate.

Yeah ok - I would like to give it a go as a bittering hop probably more so in a German Helles/Lager/Pils type scenario.

I actually like the bitterness Galaxy delivers on a long boil - packs some punch!

Any thoughts on that one?

18 minutes ago, Hairy said:

It provides a good, clean, smooth bitterness and it has a decent AA% so you don’t have to use much. 

I can confirm that it is a much better for bittering than for flavour or aroma 😜

I haven’t used it in a while. Lately I have been using Centennial to bitter my pales ales and Target for for ESB. I really haven’t noticed much any difference in my Pale ales.

It's taken me a long while to wear anyone down on the Magnum front. Hairy has at least put the hop to the test individually & given other hops a chance in spaces he might have previously used Magnum for. He obviously still needs help with Pale Ales though. 😜

There are residual aspects left by hop varieties when long boiled that differ in various areas from hop to hop. These often subtle tones create nice complexities & undertones in differing styles of beer that make the beer more enjoyable (IMHO). I'm sorry, but I've never understood why a person would ever use a hop that creates consistent blandness on any level.

Lusty.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hairy said:

...I haven’t used it in a while. Lately I have been using Centennial to bitter my pales ales and Target for for ESB. I really haven’t noticed much any difference in my Pale ales.

33 minutes ago, Hairy said:

What’s wrong with Centennial?

Nothing. I'm with you that it is a terrific hop to bitter Pale Ales with. If you can't tell the difference between Magnum bittered pales you make & Centennial bittered pales you make then you're doing something wrong. Magnum has no obvious aromatic properties so it doesn't matter how long you boil this boring hop for. Centennial on the other hand does, so why kill all of that off via a long boil?

If you want to long boil a citrusy hop to throw some interesting bittering tones, then I would use Cascade or Willamette (from those I've tried).

If you're long boiling Centennial as your bittering addition for 60-90mins, then stop that. Either start it as your bittering addition @ 30mins or FWH it as a steep before your usual long boil (60-90mins). You'll get better carry-over flavour from the hop by doing either method.

Your Pales will never taste the same again (I promise you).

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

• Haha 1

So what opinion have you great Brewers got on POR? 

Pride of Ringwood.

Is an Aussie hop - is it not - and am wondering - early days when XXXX tasted better and was around 4.8 or 4.9% my memory tells me the brew had a crisp bitterness and the hops nearly gave it a nice nutty aroma... ?

Anyone got an opinion on the old POR?

12 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Nice.  Sounds like a good idea to try.

Though have been pretty happy with my Ales re hops... but sadly not used any of the great Magnum in any of those... yet ; )

That's why they taste so good.

Stick with your current hop philosophy IMHO.

Lusty.

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Yes the Ale thing is fine... tell me though @Beerlust do you have an opinion on the old Pride of Ringwood?

I like it. I'd be more inclined to play around with this hop than Magnum in the same scenarios & has a few sneaky late boil/dry hop edges over Magnum (IMHO).

21 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

...And also - Vic Secret?

Isolated in a single hop brew with certain malt bills & yeast choices it can throw an unliked "cat pee" aroma & flavour as has been mentioned by numerous home brewers.

As part of a late hop boil & dry hop mix it can help to create wonderful mango-like flavours & aromas from some of my previous brewing experiments with it.

One such brew I would rate in my top 10 Pale Ale brews I have ever brewed.

Just my 20 cents,

Lusty.

On 1/28/2020 at 8:02 PM, Hairy said:

Sorry to pick on Hairy's post in particular here, but it is ripe for the picking IMHO about the Magnum hop & it being anything but special.

There is a plethora of hops that are available with similar smooth capabilities, high AA%, but have numerous residual carryover flavours & mouth feels better than Magnum.

The truth... https://www.brewersfriend.com/2010/02/27/hops-alpha-acid-table-2009/ (And that table is old!!)

...I can confirm that it is a much better for bittering than for flavour or aroma 😜

If it's only attribute & purpose is to bitter a beer & on the most boring of levels, seriously what is it's appeal???

I wouldn't even pick it up off the shelf if that's all it's good for!!

WTFU & smell the roses.

Lusty.

Edited by Beerlust

Hey @Bearded Burbler

Home brewing is about trying things for yourself. 100g of hops doesn’t cost a lot so get some Magnum, POR or any other hop you want to try and give it a go.

You can then determine whether you like it or not. Everyone has different taste so don’t let others tell you what you should or shouldn’t like. You can even use Nelson Sauvin if you like 😜

Try things, have fun. It’s only beer in the end.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Ben 10 said:

Aussie Pale, classic Cooper Pale taste. ANY Aussie beer actually.

Vic sSecret is great late in a beer requiring flavoursome late hops.

And mate - what about poor old much maligned Magnum in German Lagers/Pils for bittering?

Never had cat pee from Vic secret. Simcoe was the one I've heard that more about. 

I've used German magnum for bittering in lagers and it works well. I've used it in my pilsner when I haven't had enough Saaz without any detrimental effect as well. 

I don't use it a lot in pale ales anymore, not because I was disappointed with them but because I get so many IBUs from the late additions now, the early addition is very small so I usually just go with one of the late hops for it instead of something stupid like 3/4g of magnum. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ben 10 said:

EVERYTHING has it's place. Including @Beerlust

Lusty deffo has his place of that there is no question.

But I do like some German beers and am wondering whether Magnum might be useful for bittering - guess no harm in trying - prolly the only way to find out really?

Mr Palmer seems to have it in some of his suggestions....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Never had cat pee from Vic secret. Simcoe was the one I've heard that more about. 

I've used German magnum for bittering in lagers and it works well. I've used it in my pilsner when I haven't had enough Saaz without any detrimental effect as well. 

I don't use it a lot in pale ales anymore, not because I was disappointed with them but because I get so many IBUs from the late additions now, the early addition is very small so I usually just go with one of the late hops for it instead of something stupid like 3/4g of magnum. 

Thanks Kelsey.  Yeah prefer no cat pee.

Yep me too re the Paley Aley brews - late is good and early addition - me too - minimal.

My micro mates down there at Rusty Penny put me onto that - obviously great brewers think alike ; )