Coopers Community

Tom Selleck IPA

Hairy

1 minute ago, Ben 10 said:

Yep, it's quite good.

Oki doki.

Might try it in a German thing.

And rest assured I don't follow Palmer and his recipes religously - though I do enjoy the information - it is nice to put something together yerself.

The wurst and prosciutto  etc thing I will be following the books closely, certainly to begin with, hopefully when I get over this current kegging hump.

55 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Thanks Kelsey.  Yeah prefer no cat pee.

Yep me too re the Paley Aley brews - late is good and early addition - me too - minimal.

My micro mates down there at Rusty Penny put me onto that - obviously great brewers think alike ; )

The cat pee is sensory dependent, or something. Some people get it, some don't, but if you hear someone say it smells like cat pee...I will probably have a sniff because I know it is packed with hops like citra and/or simcoe...or it is just cat pee and now I am asking the person why they have a glass of cat pee.

Edited by Norris!
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Norris! said:

The cat pee is sensory dependent, or something. Some people get it, some don't, but if you hear someone say it smells like cat pee...I will probably have a sniff because I know it is packed with hops like citra and/or simcoe...or it is just cat pee and know I am asking the person why they have a glass of cat pee.

Cheers Mate.

Have used Citra and like it.  Not done Simcoe... might leave it on the back shelf for now 😝

Got so many others to try ; )

What is the deal with Nelson Sauvin... also seems to be a crowd divider...

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Cheers Mate.

Have used Citra and like it.  Not done Simcoe... might leave it on the back shelf for now 😝

Got so many others to try ; )

What is the deal with Nelson Sauvin... also seems to be a crowd divider...

I have used citra way more than galaxy and I always come back to it. It is an amazing hop which you should try.

Simcoe is in the same class as Amarillo and mosaic, but to me a little more piney but with a lot of citrusy tones. I wouldn't write it off until you try it. Read up on it, I think you will be surprised what people say about it, but at the end of the day it comes down to you. If It doesn't sound appealing, fair enough.

NS has a different taste than what you expect from hops. The rule I follow with it is, use it in SMALL proportions or it can dominate the beer. For example, I would go with 15-25g NS, 50g of citra and azacca for 5.5g/l batch. But again, that is just my experience. You have to try it yourself. Some people would laugh at my rule why making a NS SMASH. It is your brewery, find what you like and brew with it. It sucks a little that you have to try so many hops, but I will tell you BB, it is also a lot of fun. I remember the first time I used citra, simcoe, Amarillo, galaxy, and Vic secret, I was impressed to say the least.

Good brewing Mate

Norris

Edited by Norris!
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Norris! said:

I have used citra way more than galaxy and I always come back to it. It is an amazing hop which you should try.

Simcoe is in the same class as Amarillo and mosaic, but to me a little more piney but with a lot of citrusy tones. I wouldn't write it off until you try it. Read up on it, I think you will be surprised what people say about it, but at the end of the day it comes down to you. If It doesn't sound appealing, fair enough.

NS has a different taste than what you expect from hops. The rule I follow with it is, use it in SMALL proportions or it can dominate the beer. For example, I would go with 15-25g NS, 50g of citra and azacca for 5.5g/l batch. But again, that is just my experience. You have to try it yourself. Some people would laugh at my rule why making a NS SMASH. It is your brewery, find what you like and brew with it. It sucks a little that you have to try so many hops, but I will tell you BB, it is also a lot of fun. I remember the first time I used citra, simcoe, Amarillo, galaxy, and Vic secret, I was impressed to say the least.

Good brewing Mate

Norris

Cool Norris!  Good stuff.

Yeah it's a tough gig with all those wonderful opportunities out there just waiting !?!  Beautiful.

Mate I got onto Galaxy early - loved the aroma - did a Galaxy SMASH Pils cos I loved the hop - early - nice and bitter - late - the aroma - eased with Lagering - was a Gold Brew! 

Mosiac - I call Mozzie - like the Aussie Mozzie (mosquito) - for laughs - like it very much too... esp late hopping an IPA.... beaut.

Citra-Centennial-Cascade - gold for the Black IPAs and that Pale thing... beautiful.

But I would like to try Pride of Ringwood... and Vic Secret...  Used PoR but was so long ago - with a KnK augmentation... need to try it with the real thing.

Cheers Cobber!

BB

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Norris! said:

The cat pee is sensory dependent, or something. Some people get it, some don't, but if you hear someone say it smells like cat pee...I will probably have a sniff because I know it is packed with hops like citra and/or simcoe...or it is just cat pee and now I am asking the person why they have a glass of cat pee.

I never had the cat pee thing with Vic Secret until I single hopped a brew with it.

When I've used it in conjunction with other hops it has helped to produce some lovely flavours & aromas that I've not been able to create without it.

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

I never had the cat pee thing with Vic Secret until I single hopped a brew with it.

When I've used it in conjunction with other hops it has helped to produce some lovely flavours & aromas that I've not been able to create without it.

Cheers,

Lusty.

That means it was packed with some goodness. My barometer is when the wife says she smells it in a brew. I will rush to try it because I don't pick it up so much, so I just get the goodness, mostly.

I like Vic secret a lot, just did a brew with it and moutere, all late additions.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

what sort of flavours do you get from Secret Vic Norris?

I have brewed it but not drank this one yet. But I get passionfruit, citrus and some pine when I use Vic secret, depending on when I use it the boil or dry hop.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Norris! said:

I have brewed it but not drank this one yet. But I get passionfruit, citrus and some pine when I use Vic secret, depending on when I use it the boil or dry hop.

Cheers mate... was thinking of going late with it in an Aley type thing ; )

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bearded Burbler said:

what sort of flavours do you get from Secret Vic Norris?

I’m not Norris! However, I use Vic Secret a lot. The bunch I have is very fruit bowl, the later it goes in the more fruit you get, the longer in the boil, the more mint, pine, grass, cat pee. And in that order from least to disgusting. 
I now stick away from boiling it. Only steep. 

But fruit bowl tropical is what I get now. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, The Captain!! said:

I’m not Norris! However, I use Vic Secret a lot....

But fruit bowl tropical is what I get now. 

Sounds good thanks Kapitan!  I reckon I will definitely go late given that good advice.  Festive.  Thanks mate.  Cheers. BB

Edited by Bearded Burbler