Coopers Community

Tom Selleck IPA

Hairy

33 minutes ago, Smashed Crabs said:

I opened the canister 2nite to get a whiff .. aroma isn't bad but interesting to see how it pans out as a flavoring and aroma hop. Worse case scenario I use it for bittering.

Most of us who do use it use it just for bittering. I'm interested to see how this beer of Hairy's turns out and got one planned next year as well.

14 hours ago, The Captain1525230099 said:

Just for sh!ts and giggles I’ve added what BeerSmith says about magnum hop.

Aroma: Good aroma and stable spicy flavour.

FF9D7013-02D1-4B03-9D45-6F9B6466F98A.png

Yes Germany, widely renowned for it's hoppy, aromatic beer styles........NOT!

Thanks for the giggle Capt. 🤣

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Haha 3

hmmm, not as german as i thought but oh well...

Recipe: German IPA

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 L   
Estimated OG: 1.060 SG
Estimated Color: 27.6 EBC
Estimated IBU: 71.2 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        

3.13 g           Calcium Chloride (Mash)                          Water Agent   2          -             -             
2.71 g           Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash)                  Water Agent   3          -             -             
2.35 g           Epsom Salt (MgSO4) (Mash)                        Water Agent   4          -             -             
4.00 kg          Pale Malt, Ale (Barrett Burston) (5.9 EBC)       Grain         5          66.7 %        2.61 L        
1.00 kg          Brown Malt (128.1 EBC)                           Grain         6          16.7 %        0.65 L        
0.50 kg          Munich II (Weyermann) (16.7 EBC)                 Grain         7          8.3 %         0.33 L        
0.50 kg          Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC)           Grain         8          8.3 %         0.33 L        
40.00 g          Northern Brewer [7.70 %] - First Wort 60.0 min   Hop           9          32.0 IBUs     -             
50.00 g          Aramis [5.60 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min      Hop           10         8.0 IBUs      -             
50.00 g          Enigma [15.90 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min     Hop           11         22.7 IBUs     -             
50.00 g          Hallertauer Hersbrucker [6.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpo Hop           12         8.6 IBUs      -             
1.0 pkg          German Ale (Wyeast Labs #1007) [124.21 ml]       Yeast         13         -             -             

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This was made today. LHBS was out of Caramunich I so I subbed in light crystal.

I also had 60g Magnum left so upped the additions to:

25g @ flame out

35g Dry hop

OMG, the smell of the flame out hop addition was amazing. Mrs Hairy said:

”Mr Hairy, what is that wonderful smell? It smells like a handsome, moustachioed private investigator in the Hawaiian sun”.

I said “Damn straight it does. That is 100% fresh, Tom Selleck inspired Magnum hops”.

• Haha 9

Awww shucks, if I'm going to be completely objective here about this beer, I'd have to mention the following against my better judgement & personal beliefs...

Our Ol' mate Philbo_Baggins who recently re-appeared, then disappeared again 🤔 mentioned a Magnum forward beer he had sampled over at BrewBoys (here in SA) a few years ago. I can't remember the complete configuration or style (maybe a Pale Ale or IPA?), but he was quite impressed with it.

That said, I never had the opportunity of sampling it, & Philbo has a liking for English styled ales.

I don't see it on their current drinks list either.  I wonder why? 😜

Honesty is the best policy. 😉

Cheers,

Lusty.

• 2 weeks later...

The Tom Selleck IPA is in the keg.

The sample I took when dry hopping tasted a bit musty and woody and I was a bit unsure of the final result. But the taste at kegging was surprisingly pleasant. It is quite florally now with a slight fruitiness but I think that may be from the residual sweetness of the extract.

It is never going to be the go-to hop for flavour and aroma but so far the experiment has been worthwhile.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Hairy said:

...It is never going to be the go-to hop for flavour and aroma but so far the experiment has been worthwhile.

Someone other than me please remember that statement. 

All shite aside, I'm glad it appears to have turned out OK Hairy.

Philbo would be proud. 👍

Cheers,

Lusty.

• 2 months later...

Another update on this beer as it is almost gone now. Hoping not to start the usual Magnum shite fight, just being objective.

The verdict: it is OK.

As mentioned earlier, it isn't the most exciting beer you will drink but it does have flavour, a little bit woody. My biggest complaint about the beer is not the hop but the extract. It has been a long time since I made an all extract beer for myself and I find it a little too sweet.

Anyway, if your argument against using Magnum as a bittering hop is that it is too smooth and you prefer more 'bite' then fair enough. If your argument is that it has no flavour then I don't believe that is the case.

Given most of my pale ales are significantly late hopped this would probably overpower the flavour produced from a 60 minute addition from any hop.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I'm ordering more Magnum with my next hop order. A Tom Selleck pale ale is on the cards, probably just using my usual pale ale grist. I've been wanting to do this for a while to see for myself what it's like. 

Mate, I already took one for the team.

You will just devalue the sacrifice I made.

• Haha 6