Coopers Community

To Keg Or Not To Keg - that is the question

Worthog

11 hours ago, The Captain1525230099 said:

Ha ha ha ha 

i guess if I kegged I wouldn’t give away so much to friends/family 

Captain

My brother in laws don’t really drink but my father in law does but hates my homebrew. He does his kit and kilo homebrew and just ferments it on the garage floor. His beer tastes ummmmm interesting so all the beer I make is for me, me and me so kegging is perfect!!

BB

3 hours ago, Beer Baron said:

My brother in laws don’t really drink but my father in law does but hates my homebrew. He does his kit and kilo homebrew and just ferments it on the garage floor. His beer tastes ummmmm interesting so all the beer I make is for me, me and me so kegging is perfect!!

BB

Ha ha ha I really don’t think I have any mates don’t drink........

I like bottling and have no desire at all for a kegging system. I do sometimes use my 6l Tap-a-draft setup if I think a particular beer would be good to have on tap in the fridge or if all my glass bottles are full. In fact I think I've got 3 Tap-a-draft bottles full and waiting in the cupboard at the moment (American Brown, Nelson Sauvin Amber lager and a Mosaic Rye lager). I bottle condition these as well. 

Cheers,

John

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, porschemad911 said:

I like bottling and have no desire at all for a kegging system.................................snipped 

Cheers,

John

Well Done John for summing up a hobby perfectly. If you like doing something then there is no need for anyone else to tell you to do it differently, (The same applies to Lusty and his brewing methods, as much as we like to tale the piss).

I used to like bottling, then one day I didn't. Some days when I'm looking at a brew that's been in the fermenter for 4 weeks I look at it and say to myself "Damn I'll have to get a keg ready and keg that, I wish there was an easier way".

You see I love brewing but I hate packaging.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew not Valley Packaging

I always hated bottling. I don't mind doing a couple of 6 packs from surplus after kegging (although I haven't for a while because I have no bottle capper currently) but a whole batch of 65+ bottles is just a PITA. As is the cleaning of the things. It takes me about 15-20 minutes if that to clean a keg, the equivalent amount of bottles would take over 2 hours. I've just got better things to do with my time than stand around filling and rinsing out bottles endlessly. I guess I just find it hard to understand how anyone could actually enjoy doing that shit, but if you do then more power to you. I used to use stubbies because they were more convenient come drinking time, unfortunately less convenient at bottling and cleaning time. ?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I've just got better things to do with my time than stand around filling and rinsing out bottles endlessly. I guess I just find it hard to understand how anyone could actually enjoy doing that shit, but if you do then more power to you. I used to use stubbies because they were more convenient come drinking time, unfortunately less convenient at bottling and cleaning time. ?

To me it's just part of the process that ends up with a sparkling clean lineup of freshly filled bottles that you can be proud of and savour. 

Of course if you see packaging as just a means of getting beer into your glass, then I can understand why it would just feel like tedious work.

Sharing beer is great... Here is a text I got from my mum this morning about a 4 pack of imperial milk Stout I gave her last year which she had just tried:

Hello John!

How are you?
I have just been drinking a bottle of you VERY DELICIOUS beer that you were kind enough to give me.

Very rounded flavour, mellow, lije a very toastted granular bread, with some mild grapefruir and creamy macadamia flavours. That's how it tasted to me!

A very very special elegant beer. Thank you very very much indeed!!!

Hope your day has veen a pleasant one.

Lots of love 
Mum?

• Like 4

I did like the look of all the bottles sitting in the cupboard, but not enough to keep doing it once I was able to make the switch. I did find it tedious. I used to bottle the surplus from every batch and I'd get about a dozen stubbies from it. Then I got the small keg and only did that with lagers, and now I have no bottle capper ? so I've reduced lagers to 21L so there's no wastage.

I like to share beer too, usually I do this when mates come around. It's good to catch up and have a few brews at the same time.

56 minutes ago, porschemad911 said:

To me it's just part of the process that ends up with a sparkling clean lineup of freshly filled bottles that you can be proud of and savour. 

Of course if you see packaging as just a means of getting beer into your glass, then I can understand why it would just feel like tedious work.

Sharing beer is great... Here is a text I got from my mum this morning about a 4 pack of imperial milk Stout I gave her last year which she had just tried:

Hello John!

How are you?
I have just been drinking a bottle of you VERY DELICIOUS beer that you were kind enough to give me.

Very rounded flavour, mellow, lije a very toastted granular bread, with some mild grapefruir and creamy macadamia flavours. That's how it tasted to me!

A very very special elegant beer. Thank you very very much indeed!!!

Hope your day has veen a pleasant one.

Lots of love 
Mum?

Gday John, 

Thays a great review of your hard work and recipe design. Got to be nice coming from ya Mum too. 

My normal reviews are:

“Hey mate, ya beer was good.” Or “Hey mate, your beer was cr@p”. Thankfully never really cr@p and some other feedback I get is “smashable, but needs more hops” ha ha ha

Sometimes I wish my mates were BJCP beer judges so I can get some criticism on my beers to improve. 

Captain

• Like 2

Nice note John!

By the way, your mum has the same name as mine.

I get 4-6 bottles from each batch after kegging and I tend to share some of these. I don't have enough friends to bottle a full batch null

14 hours ago, porschemad911 said:

I like bottling

Seems that there are two kinds of brewers in the world.  1 - Those who don't mind bottling.  2 - Those that absolutely hate/detest it and can't wait to go to kegs!

I'm with you John, I don't mind it, it has always been part of the process of brewing beer for me.  I am a patient person and don't mind the repetitive tasks.  Only once have I felt like bottling was a chore.  On the occasion I had to pack my car, cook some meals for the weekend, put the kids to bed.  I started bottling at 10.30pm and didn't finish until after midnight.  I just bit off more than I could chew for one night (and yes it HAD to be bottled at that time).  All the other times I look forward to the quiet time late at night on my own.  I find it relaxing and satisfying and I reward myself with a beer or two at the end of the process (I don't drink when bottling!)

My brewing buddy, the one that got me into this hobby, was brewing sporadically last year.  He would put a kits and bits brew down, or a fresh wort kit and I would keep pestering him "have you bottled yet?  when can we do a beer swap?  Still not bottled? etc".  He once left a brew for 6 weeks in the FV (That one tasted like Vegemite) because he just kept putting off the bottling.  Just his personality I guess.

He recently built a keezer, bought some kegs, CO2 cyclinder etc and he is brewing like a mad man.  Constantly brewing and drinking and his dad and uncle are into it and demand is outstripping supply.  He just loves the convenience of washing out one keg and transferring (5mins) and then job done.  It works well for him.  His attention to detail was lacking when it came to washing and rinsing bottles, so I received quite a few gushers and a couple of bottle bombs for him.  Now I go to his place and get to fill 4 of my clean swingtop bottles to take home.

Whatever works for your personality, your consumption habits, your space, budget, etc.

• Like 4

Just now, Norris! said:

Um call me slow but I didn't get Hairy's reference?!? It is killing me, how did he figure out the name? Is this some Aussie humor? ?

"Mum" will get you close, Norry, my son.?

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Norris! said:

Um call me slow but I didn't get Hairy's reference?!? It is killing me, how did he figure out the name? Is this some Aussie humor? ?

Sorry Norris but that is piss funny. Even better than Hairy’s comment. 

My mum has the same name too. 

• Haha 1

Hey Norris, trying not to sound like I’m taking the piss, but how do you go with Aussie humour? Do you find it strange and a little hard to understand?

Ive found most Americans don’t really get it.  Well the ones I’ve dealt with at work anyways. 

Really not trying to sound condescending,

Captain

• Haha 1

It has taken some getting used to, it is dry and a lot of play on words. I am pretty open for a joke so I think my coworkers and Aussie friends coach me along until I get it. Last resort is my wife, she will get a dig or two in while she explains, ah the love of my life.

It was a fair question Mate! No harm I always assume the best about a post or question anyway, if you don't ask you won't know. Anyways having a laugh is always fun, even if I might be the butt of the joke! I never heard laughter hurting anyone and I love a good laugh. My wife was cracking up when I showed her the post hahahaha it was good fun.

2 hours ago, Norris! said:

Wow! I just did a Google search for Hairy Mum....oh my god, don't search for it....EVER. If I die in the next few minutes someone PLEASE erase my history.

That was the funniest post I have read for a while. I’m too scared to type Hairy Mum into google in case my mum actually pops up.

Norris, I am guessing your mum’s name is Mom.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, porschemad911 said:

My goodness you're right! Maybe you are my long lost brother!

Unless you have as much body hair as the cat in your avatar, it's highly unlikely you & Hairy are related. ?

Probably a good thing too on a number of levels if that is the case John. ?

Cheers,

Lusty.

Edited by Beerlust
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Google did not fail, the words alone were so offensive I instantly blurted out a bible verse, I have never been to church, so imagine my surprise.

I will toss this in the book next to bugger. I found out, after the meeting, that bugger is not appropriate board room talk. I just thought it meant forget this...well it kind of does, but I dont have to explain that to y'all. There was quite a few chuckles throughout my presentation, I simply thought everyone found my presentation entertaining! I can be pretty witty. Live and learn Mates, live and learn.

Edited by Norris!
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3