Coopers Community

All Grain for Newbies

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tomorrow I will put down my first ever All Grain. I'll be using Dirty-Great-Big-Pot and BIAB to steep 5kg grain in 16 litres of water. No sparge. 60m boil.  1/4 whilfloc at 10m.  I don't have any idea how to describe my beer but here is the recipe;

•    3.5kg Maris Otter
•    1kg Vienna
•    300g Munich
•    200g Carapils
•    40g Chinook @ 60m boil (bittering)
•    40g Chinook @ 12m
•    40g Cascade 15m Tea
•    2 x 7g Coopers Kit(int) yeast rehydrated

OG will be work in progress. I’m hoping for 1.050 and will adjust final wort litres to get close with multiple SG readings.
Any comments? What sort of beer will it be? The malt bill is just guesswork. I’m looking for a low EBC.
Cheers

Closest to an American pale ale. The malt bill is a bit different but it should turn out well. I'm not sure about that much Chinook for bittering though. In a 35 litre boil I only use about 10-15g of high alpha hops at 60 minutes. Do you have any software to figure out things with?

10g of chinook af 60 minutes will go a long way. To be honest you need to get some brewing software. On my set up, 10l boils, 10g of chinook at 60min comes in at around 24ibus but it should be higher since your doing a full boil. Just keep that in mind if you try to just do it on the fly.

Experimental Variety 06277, AKA Denali™, is a new hop bursting with flavor.  Called Nuggetzilla by some, this hop is rich in pineapple, citrus, and pine flavors, though it can often come off as spicy as well.  It can be used for bittering, flavor, or aroma, and is sure to make an impact!  These have rich characteristics that make for an unmistakeable beer.  Try it in your next pale ale or IPA, sit back, and enjoy the results.

your beer looks great

Please view this ad:

Wheat & cracked wheat,
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/whyalla/pet-products/wheat-cracked-wheat/1188611862?utm_source=com.google.android.apps.docs&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=socialbuttonsVIP&utm_content=app_android

Price: $15

Download the application from the Google Play Store.
http://goo.gl/7NzhP

Would the grain work in addition to making a wheat beer in all grain home brew? heading to whyalla on friday and saw this and made me ponder a bit

It's probably not malted wheat. $13 for 30kg isn't gonna be brewing grade anyway. 

Hoppy, you should be fine then. Rice hulls are usually only used when brewing with grains that are more likely to cause a stuck mash/sparge like rye. You won't need them with that grain bill.

39 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

It's probably not malted wheat. $13 for 30kg isn't gonna be brewing grade anyway. 

Hoppy, you should be fine then. Rice hulls are usually only used when brewing with grains that are more likely to cause a stuck mash/sparge like rye. You won't need them with that grain bill.

I'll drop the rice hulls then. Cheers Otto

Archived