Coopers Community

All Grain for Newbies

7 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

It's not a necessary step, because the boil will denature the enzymes anyway, but I still do it mainly out of habit but also because the wort does appear to drain more easily when it's heated above standard mash temperature.

Do you think this makes for better efficiency?

Captain

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have only done one batch without a mash out that I can remember and I'm pretty sure the efficiency did drop a bit. Hardly compelling evidence but it's something to think about I guess.  I suppose it is reasonable that if the wort drains more easily then you'll extract more of it and the sugar from the grains.

Thanks guys for answering Worthogs question while I was at work. Spot on there Kelsey.

I run propane set up and scorched the grain the first all-grain brew I ever did. So I life grains out when applying heat.

I find mash out and sparge works well for me for consistent and higher efficiency.

I use a Grainfather Connect - so step mashing and stuff is all part of it! I BeerSmith and the Grainfather app. I also have Palmers books (the science stuff)

i actually like the creating and craft of it all!

• 2 weeks later...

Well planning the next brew a Neipa  style have been busy setting up a  brew fridge  with a upright freezer I brought all done tested etc calibrated .Made a stand for the robobrew and a pulley setup to pull out the malt pipe just to make things easy. Was going to do the brew fridge out of a glass display fridge I have but  that can stay for stock cheers

? I’m caught in a mash (boom, boom, boom, boom)
 I can mash out.. 
Because, I love you too much baby-y-y

Why can’t you see (boom, boom, boom, boom)
Why you boil for me..
Coz I need those hop additions play-i-i-ing

We can’t brew on forever
With extract-ious mi-inds..
We can brew All-Grain together
All of the ti-i-i-ime……..
?
   Apologies to Elvis the Pelvis.

Batch52c2.thumb.jpg.d8d0882e9ec579b97a5918d2037490f8.jpg

First mash batch. Tastes great! ?

Truthfully I'll still produce Kits+Partial Mash for the forsee able future, because;

A) my current equipment struggles to mash more than 3.5kg of grain, and

B) given I can't model AG recipes, there are great kit bases to start all the particular beer styles I like.

I have noticed a fresher beer, even with partial mashes on top of the pre-bittered kits.

Cheers

55 minutes ago, Worthog said:

Truthfully I'll still produce Kits+Partial Mash for the forsee able future, because;

A) my current equipment struggles to mash more than 3.5kg of grain, and

B) given I can't model AG recipes, there are great kit bases to start all the particular beer styles I like.

I have noticed a fresher beer, even with partial mashes on top of the pre-bittered kits.

Cheers

I made partial mash beers for a while, generally using Coopers kits. I found this easy to do on the stove with minimal equipment. I made some great beers with this method.

@Worthog how big is your pot? I bought one second hand that I thought was 40L. Turns out it is 33L! I have worked out a system to get 22.9L cubes out of my small pot.

Mash in about 21-22L water. Sparge the grain bag (BIAB) and top kettle to 30L. Yep, that's only 1.2cm headroom! Still works out fine and had only one boil over.

Works well for me so I put a ball valve in it and it's my system now!

21 hours ago, joolbag said:

@Worthog how big is your pot? I bought one second hand that I thought was 40L. Turns out it is 33L! I have worked out a system to get 22.9L cubes out of my small pot...

Hi Jools,

My pot is 30L.  When I mash 5kg grain I initially fill it to 20L. After final boil, etc, I end up with 12L of wort, top up FV to 22L for an OG of 1.046.

When I do a PM of 3.5kg grain I have filled it to 17L to end up with 12L of wort, add a Coopers Kit 1.7kg, top FV to 23L for an OG of 1.048.

I have boil over problems with the 5kg mash, my pot is just too full. There are ways around this but a 5kg mash is too much frigging around. Currently I don't sparge, but I think I will start sparging the BIAB into a second pot, boil a bit, then and add later to my main boil to get my final volume of wort up and hence my final OG. I will then have cooling problems, though, until I get an immersion coil. 

As I said earlier though, I am currently happy exploring PM+Kit as there are a lot of wonderful beer types out there to try while I am still learning. Eventually, I'll probably buy a Crown Urn; I have begun building my urn slush fund, already ?.

Cheers 

Sounds like you have it dialled in worthog. I did some partial mash beers before I got my big pot and was very happy with the result. That all grain freshness really came through, more so than a kits and steep.

I was doing partial mash, boiling and topping up with DME. I realized that my brew days were as long as an all grain brew! And the DME was pretty expensive too. Big pot and bulk sacks  of grain and I'm brewing better and cheaper than ever

Worthog, can I suggest making smaller batch sizes? There's no rule that you have to make 23 litres of a given beer! Just figure out how much grain and strike water you would need to hit the right pre-boil SG at a volume that will lead to your desired OG at the end of the boil. If you're interested I have a spreadsheet that will take care of all that. 

I have a 21 litre kettle and target a pre-boil volume of 16.5 litres in my recipes. After boil-off and leaving trub behind I target around 11 litres in my fermenter. I do have a 38 litre mash tun so can push the gravity fairly comfortably.

Cheers, 

John

Hi guys as I am new to all grain has anyone got any idea's of grain types for a recipe similar to this.

It is a  coopers one that I have used many times and varied the hops  and loved it .

I would love to try a all grain similar base but wouldn't have a clue to quanity/%  of each obvious wheat will be one but  what would I use to produce the other . The recipe is this Trappist Coaster Belgian IPA any help would be greatly appreciated thanks Brian

On 8/4/2018 at 11:15 PM, porschemad911 said:

Worthog, can I suggest making smaller batch sizes? There's no rule that you have to make 23 litres of a given beer! Just figure out how much grain and strike water you would need to hit the right pre-boil SG at a volume that will lead to your desired OG at the end of the boil. If you're interested I have a spreadsheet that will take care of all that. 

I have a 21 litre kettle and target a pre-boil volume of 16.5 litres in my recipes. After boil-off and leaving trub behind I target around 11 litres in my fermenter. I do have a 38 litre mash tun so can push the gravity fairly comfortably.

Cheers, 

John

Hi Porschemad911, 

My main reason for 23L is to maintain the production volume I need to maintain my stocks, and continue to drink 6 week old beer. If I want to make a very high OG beer then I would reduce the wort volume; and my personal consumption.  Currently I am getting away with my process with an after boil 12L. I think I can sparge a bit extra wort pre-boil if necessary or cheat it up with LDM. I haven't done either of those things to date. 

You have previously sent me a copy of your spreadsheet, "brew_calc_biab", but some of the input requirements are things I don't know at this point.

You are right though, I can change my end volume for a specific OG. If I want a specific OG, I can adjust the final FV fill by taking a series of SG checks on the way up. My beer brewing doesn't need to too be overly specified right now though. Thanks for your help and advice.

Cheers ?

17 hours ago, therealthing691 said:

Hi guys as I am new to all grain has anyone got any idea's of grain types for a recipe similar to this.

It is a  coopers one that I have used many times and varied the hops  and loved it .

I would love to try a all grain similar base but wouldn't have a clue to quanity/%  of each obvious wheat will be one but  what would I use to produce the other . The recipe is this Trappist Coaster Belgian IPA any help would be greatly appreciated thanks Brian

If the guys on here can't advise you of AG bill, here is a kit recipe Trappist Coaster Belgian IPA for ideas.

27 minutes ago, Worthog said:

If the guys on here can't advise you of AG bill, here is a kit recipe Trappist Coaster Belgian IPA for ideas.

Thanks Worthog butI have done that recipe I think 4 times twice coopers recipe and 2 more times different hops and loved all of them  as I am on the last week of 2 weeks off I have been lookin at a few grains and recipes today  to try do a all grain similar but who Knows this is what  I came up with I just  want a few layers of taste

.1 x Weyermann - Carared

.1 x Briess - Midnight Wheat

1.5 x Best Malz - Wheat Malt

.1 x Best Malz - Melanoidin

.2 x Joe White - Cara Malt

1 x Joe White - Export Pilsner

2.5 x Golden Promise

.2 x golden naked oats

hops will be simcoe for bittering and citra and mosaic for aroma and taste

Grain wise any input good or bad would be appreciated  cheers  Brian

Archived