Coopers Community

Anybody here on CPAP therapy?

ImaginativeName

Just curious.

I have severe OSA, I gave up on CPAP therapy a while back, I realise now that this was a mistake.

I've just shaved the beard off so I can use my machine and mask again, and I used a bit of sodium percarbonate to clean it the reservoir in the machine, and I wondered if anybody else had done this.

Cheers

JP

as above no but probably should. always feel exhausted when i get up (although guilty of being a night owl and still required to get up at an acceptable hour... or get fired or something) and apparently snore so loud the gyprock threatens to fall from the ceiling (yet to see any evidence of this though)

I've just gone through the "sleep test". Goodness knows why they even bothered.

I snore....LOUD.

Just my results back this week and picking up the machine this Wednesday.

I'm kind of looking forward to it. I have a couple of friends who use them and

they reckon you can get by on 5 hours sleep a night and wake up feeling refreshed.

I had four beers last night and snored all night, allegedly.

So even after 7-8 hours sleep I'm tired now.

n ot me.. but my tour that departs Tuesday has one of my Pax on a machine.. we are going camping central Australia.. im being equipped with a 30m cord.. hopefully i can get kitchen power to his CPAP machine by his swag.

Just tap water in the humidifier.

Sleep apnoea, can really knock you around, it's important and well worth it to find pout if you have it, and to treat it if you do.

CPAP is the most successful way to treat it, but sometimes it's too uncomfortable for people.

I was feeling pretty good, so I stopped, which is kinda like when somebody with psychological issues, stops taking their prescribed medication.

I decided good mental and physical health was more important than a long flowing beard.

Anyway, I've used sodium percarbonate on the reservoir, as well as the hose, mask, and strap.

It comes up quite well, I just had concerns about how it might react with the latex or whatever it is, no problems so far, I don't let it soak for very long.

"CRAP Therapy" is kind of appropriate Kelsey, it can be really challenging to get used to, like having a facehugger from "Alien" attached to your face.

Cheers

JP

Yeah it is a lot more serious than many people think it is, the snoring is just a pain to everyone else, it's the apnoea that is the problem.

It was strange when I first was diagnosed, I thought that it would be a pain trying to get used to wearing a mask every night, strangely I took to it straight off without any problems...certainly makes a difference.

Hey Del, I went camping a couple of weeks ago and took a twelve volt battery, solar panel and an inverter, worked a treat, that is the first time I have used that method, I used to spend a lot of time camping for work in the territory when I lived there, but generally had power available, if I was somewhere without power I simply went without the CPAP for a night or two, I was generally alone so I didn't have to worry about upsetting people, never had any cattle or native wildlife near me in the morning though!

You wouldn't need a solar panel if you have power available, you could keep the battery charged with a normal battery charger.

What sort of tours are you doing and where?

SWMBO got worried about me when my snoring was only interrupted by me stopping breathing!

I underwent the sleep test & was fitted with a CPAP machine.

The first night I don't think the bride got any sleep, it was so quiet. I haven't snored now for 3 & a half years, except for the night our state was blacked out!

I never thought I would get used to having a mask over my nose while I slept, now I can't go to sleep without it.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes I have sleep apnea. Started 19 years ago after jaw surgery, snoring started then too. I got a CPAP from the old man (Dad gave up trying to use his) two years ago and only 2 months ago decided to give it a crack. Drives me nuts but I've noticed that drinking a few beers doesn't make things much worse so that's a bonus. Haven't used anything but water but might try the S.P. to clean the humidifier and tubes good and proper.

Archived