Coopers Community

Big surprises & Australian International Beer Awards.

Scottie

surprised Stone and Wood "CHAMPION LARGE AUSTRALIAN BREWERY" at the 2017 Australian International Beer Awards.

Some other surprising results in the comprehensive listing:

Best Australian Lager;

Carlton Draught, Carlton Dry, Pure Blonde, Jimmy Boags premium lager and draught - Silver Medal

Aussie Pale Ale;

Wild Yak Pacific Ale - Silver

Lazy Yak - Bronze

Reduced Alcohol Ale;

XXXX Gold Australian Pale Ale - Bronze

Good Results

American Pale Ale;

Pirate Life Pale Ale (Draught) - Gold

Pirate Life Pale Ale (canned) - Silver

Results (IMHO)

Reduced Alcohol Ale;

Throwback IPA - Bronze

British IPA;

Sleeping Giant (Draught) - Silver

Sleeping Giant (Bottled) - Bronze

OK Results

Aussie Pale Ale;

Fat Yak (I wouldn't pick it as an Aussie Pale) - Bronze

Best Australian Lager;

Jimmy Boags premium lager (C'mon he is a Tasmanian albeit a Northerner)

Given some of the results, e.g. S & W champion, I 'd say the judges have a sweet tooth.

Cheers

Wow - I'll have to rush out and try me some of that Carlton Draught stuff love

Bit surprised by the Yak love, but looking through the full results it seems most beers I would have thought of as Australian Pale Ales got labelled as "New World" pales.

Fat Yak is good, Lazy Yak and Wild Yak are OK.

Jimmy Boags premium is OK.

Never had XXXX Gold APA.

What gets me is that Pirate Life are in the same boat as some of these.

Cheers

A number of prominent craft breweries that I know produce terrific beers absent among the style winners lists. Congrats to the winners, but having assessed beers & wines in large volumes it is hard to keep your palate "cleansed" a lot of the time, so I find the results of these large volume competitions can be a little wishy-washy sometimes.

Pirate Life Throwback IPA 3.5%ABV,... Bronze?? Laughable! Gimmee a break! lol

Trust your own palate I say. wink

Cheers,

Lusty.

Pirate Life Throwback IPA 3.5%ABV' date='... Bronze?? Laughable! Gimmee a break! [img']lol[/img]

Cheers,

Lusty.

Exactly, and Joe Public agrees, three weeks ago we were up North, only true Southerners will know what that means. Anyways the only Dan Murphy in Tassie is there so we called in, the Throwback IPA shelf was as bare as.

I can't even comprehend how a cloudy XXXX gold would be rated the same as the Throwback. Think I'm going to have to buy one can or stubby and have a taste.

A Pirate's Life Forever

Scottie

Valley Brew

I can't even comprehend how a cloudy XXXX gold would be rated the same as the Throwback. Think I'm going to have to buy one can or stubby and have a taste.

Scottie

Valley Brew

Don't bother wasting your money mate, you may as well drink lemonade as drink XXXX.

Good to see Gage Roads IPA get a mention.

Might be a bit biased being based in the West though.

Really like their Little Dove as well.

+1

It wasn't all bad. Perhaps the first few days the judges tried all the top stuff, and then as the age old saying goes, once they were drunk the waiters brought out the cheap stuff i.e. Carlton, XXXX, some Boags Draught form the corner pub.

Cheers

The megaswillers shouldn't have won anything outside of the category of Australian Lager in all honesty. Maybe stout as they can brew a good one when they want to, but these "pale ales" they come out with are nothing on the smaller brewers and don't even deserve a mention in my book. I've tried the XXXX one and the Carlton one and they were both rubbish, as was the now discontinued Tooheys one.

Eso si que es, ese.

People like what they like, and these sound like "Industry awards," which will of course be slanted towards the biggest selling beers. I personally like Carlton Draught (on tap) on occasion, or some of the other bulk sugar lagers mentioned, mostly in very hot conditions. I wouldn't go out and buy packaged versions of most of them (except maybe the Boag's,) but I'll even knock back a Peroni if offered. The only packaged beer I have in the house is some Cooper's Mild, and I must admit the last half dozen have been sitting there a while. When in China I knock back a few Tsing Tao, and enjoy the occasional Asahi dry.

By the same token, I am not personally fond of the hipster beers, nor even some of the more exotic European styles... I have just finished a keg of Pale Ale SMaSH at 4% ABV and enjoying an Irish Red Ale at the moment. A favourite of mine styled after Tetley's Bitter is cold crashing and I have an Irish Export Stout on tap as well. Just picked up yeast and Saaz to try my hand at a lager for the first time in years, too.

Having worked in the liquor industry for the last 17 years or so I've seen a lot of awarded products. I remember back about 10 years ago some wine stock arrived at the bottleshop I was working for at the time. One of the wines had gold medals donning the bottles with fairly small writing on it. On reading what the gold medal was for, it said "for production of over 6 million litres".

I was like w00tlol

The wine itself was an entry level wine with no real faults, but no real standout qualities either.

Awards & medals should be given for standards of excellence, not mediocrity, or anything else for that matter.

Cheers,

Lusty.

Having worked in the liquor industry for the last 17 years or so I've seen a lot of awarded products. I remember back about 10 years ago some wine stock arrived at the bottleshop I was working for at the time. One of the wines had gold medals donning the bottles with fairly small writing on it. On reading what the gold medal was for' date=' it said "for production of over 6 million litres".

I was like [img']w00t[/img] lol

The wine itself was an entry level wine with no real faults, but no real standout qualities either.

Awards & medals should be given for standards of excellence, not mediocrity, or anything else for that matter.

Cheers,

Lusty.

What no gold star for showing up (attendance)? surprisedtongue

Cheers.

Having worked in the liquor industry for the last 17 years or so I've seen a lot of awarded products. I remember back about 10 years ago some wine stock arrived at the bottleshop I was working for at the time. One of the wines had gold medals donning the bottles with fairly small writing on it. On reading what the gold medal was for' date=' it said "for production of over 6 million litres".

Cheers,

Lusty.

Cheers.

Back in the day when I had a regular, they had "awards" on their wall for their most regular customers. biggrin

Cheers,

Lusty.

Cheers.

Nope.

No gold star for you MM! tonguelol

biggrin

Cheers,

Lusty.

Awards & medals should be given for standards of excellence' date=' not mediocrity, or anything else for that matter.

[/quote']This, I agree with 110%, not just in beer/wine or whatever but anything in life as well. I think a lot of this generation's problem with laziness and over entitled attitudes/throwing tantrums when they don't get their way is in part due to this stupid bloody "everybody gets a prize just for turning up" mentality that's been fostered over recent years. All it does is subdue the desire to be the best you can and encourages mediocrity and laziness.

• 2 months later...

Archived