Coopers Community

86 Days Pilsner or Golden Crown Lager

Kairi

11 hours ago, Liambeer said:

Just reviving an old post. 

I’m pretty boring, I like the os coopers lager but went to the lhbs and saw the Thomas coopers lager and grabbed it. 

anyone done a comparison between the two? Or did I just pay more for the same goop?

I've done both, just as K&K brews. No hops additions. I've done OS Lager with the kit yeast (ale), which was OK. I've also done it and subbed out the ale yeast and used a spare Euro Lager yeast. I preferred it with lager yeast but it wasn't as nice as the TCGC Lager with it's included yeast.
I'm no good at describing flavours I just know what I like and what I don't like.
I've found the TC range over all probably worth the extra couple of bucks because I don't think they need hops additions but everyone's tastes are different.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

And another two years later - I have two Coopers extracts in the cupboard; An 86 Days Pilsner, and a Gold Crown Lager. When I googled '86 Day Pilsner' I found this old thread, which is very informative. I'm wondering if  these cans have real lager yeasts, or ale type yeasts, as it is becoming harder to keep the brewery/laundry below 15deg all day. Also wondering if I should add hops to the 86 Days. I have 25g pkts of Citra, Mosaic, Galaxy and Cascade sitting in the freezer.

• Like 3

I thought there was a post by someone from Coopers with all the yeast codes.

Just with a quick look I found this. But it's a bit old.

Maybe someone could tell you if these codes are still current.

If they are look on the  yeast packet and it'll tell you if they're lager yeasts.

But I would guess that they aren't. From what I remember Coopers stopped putting lager yeast in the European lager kits.

So I would have thought they had stopped putting it in all kits.

https://www.google.com/search?q=coopers+homebrew+yeast+codes&client=firefox-b-d&sca_esv=562027865&sxsrf=AB5stBj-B_RJsZPmOF4rnlET_A0Lm8cPEQ%3A1693606768764&ei=cGPyZKyqLrHkseMPks2e0A0&ved=0ahUKEwisot3uuIqBAxUxcmwGHZKmB9oQ4dUDCBA&uact=5&oq=coopers+homebrew+yeast+codes&gs_lp=Egxnd3Mtd2l6LXNlcnAiHGNvb3BlcnMgaG9tZWJyZXcgeWVhc3QgY29kZXMyBRAhGKABMgUQIRigAUjcKFCEFFiaJnAEeAGQAQGYAZoDoAGqDqoBCTAuNy4xLjAuMbgBA8gBAPgBAcICChAAGEcY1gQYsAPCAgYQABgWGB7CAgQQIRgVwgIIECEYFhgeGB3iAwQYACBBiAYBkAYI&sclient=gws-wiz-serp

• C – R007 = Coopers ale yeast. Our own strain, which was developed in-house, but it is not the same strain as the yeast in our commercial ales.

• C+L – R3426 = A blend of our Coopers ale yeast and a lager strain.

• A – R3554/R3555/R3557/R3559 = various ale yeasts*

• L – R3422/R3556 = various lager yeasts*

• W – R3558 = wheat yeast*
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, jennyss said:

And another two years later - I have two Coopers extracts in the cupboard; An 86 Days Pilsner, and a Gold Crown Lager. When I googled '86 Day Pilsner' I found this old thread, which is very informative. I'm wondering if  these cans have real lager yeasts, or ale type yeasts, as it is becoming harder to keep the brewery/laundry below 15deg all day. Also wondering if I should add hops to the 86 Days. I have 25g pkts of Citra, Mosaic, Galaxy and Cascade sitting in the freezer.

Saaz hops would give it a true European flavour however Citra or Galaxy would also be fine, I would make it a late addition for maximum flavour, use at least 25gms or even 50gm.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jennyss said:

May I recommend using Mangrove Jack's M54 Californian Lager yeast? I use it a fair bit and usually ferment at 18C. While the result isn't a true lager, it has all the lager properties you want. If you cannot ferment cold, this is a good alternative. You could also use NovaLager, which is also a hybrid yeast. Many rate it higher than M54 for making lagers but it is a little dearer. You can also ferment at 18C without any dramas, even 20 is possible but that's pushing things a little. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, jennyss said:

I am pretty sure the 86 Days Pilsner and the Gold Crown Lager both still come with lager yeast.  Check the codes as per @Graculus's post.  The European Lager was changed from a lager yeast to a hybrid yeast (the same as what is in the APA and the Mexican Cerveza).

As for hops, it depends what you are after.  If you're looking for something fruity, like a New Zealand Pilsner, do a hop steep with the Citra, Mosaic or Galaxy.  A combo of any two of them would also be great.  The Cascade is a bit more subtle, so use it in a hop steep if you want more gentle fruity notes.

I reckon @Aussiekraut is on the money.  Give the Mangrove Jack's M54 Californian Lager yeast a go with one of those cans and see if you like it.  I am sure you will.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

https://community.diybeer.com/topic/17012-im-disappointed/

Here's the thread I was thinking about when the Coopers team explained why the yeast in the European Lager was changed.

They say as not every homebrewer has temperature control. I would have thought therefore the Pilsner & 86 day don't have lager yeast, but I'm interested to know.

Surely if they're taking the lager yeast out of one kit for that reason, they'd take it out of all of them??????

@jennyss if you do buy a lager yeast you could harvest the yeast at the end of ferment & use it for the next lager too.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Graculus said:

Here's the thread I was thinking about when the Coopers team explained why the yeast in the European Lager was changed.

They say as not every homebrewer has temperature control. I would have thought therefore the Pilsner & 86 day don't have lager yeast, but I'm interested to know.

Surely if they're taking the lager yeast out of one kit for that reason, they'd take it out of all of them??????

@jennyss if you do buy a lager yeast you could harvest the yeast at the end of ferment & use it for the next lager too.

If the Pilsner & 86 Days are in the premium range they may still have lager yeasts. If someone buys a can they can confirm/deny.

• Like 1

The yeast sachet under the lid of my can of 86 Days Pilsner has the number R3556. According to @Graculus's list of yeast codes; this will be a lager yeast. The yeast sachet under the lid of my can of Gold Crown Lager is R3424. Not so sure what this yeast is. I ordered these extracts because they sounded yummy. They will be our next brews while the weather is still cool.

Several of you have given me very good tips and advice about setting up a beer fermenting frig with an inkbird. This will happen one day, but not just yet! It is a matter of space, specially now we are running two fv's at the same time; and lifting is something to be avoided too.

Thanks and best wishes to all in the Coopers Community

• Like 7

13 hours ago, jennyss said:

The yeast sachet under the lid of my can of 86 Days Pilsner has the number R3556. According to @Graculus's list of yeast codes; this will be a lager yeast. The yeast sachet under the lid of my can of Gold Crown Lager is R3424. Not so sure what this yeast is. I ordered these extracts because they sounded yummy. They will be our next brews while the weather is still cool.

Several of you have given me very good tips and advice about setting up a beer fermenting frig with an inkbird. This will happen one day, but not just yet! It is a matter of space, specially now we are running two fv's at the same time; and lifting is something to be avoided too.

Thanks and best wishes to all in the Coopers Community

The Golden Crown Lager number you quoted is still a proper Lager yeast as far as I can remember before the list disappeared. 

20 hours ago, Graculus said:

Exactly the explanation given was smoke and mirrors and nothing more than a cost saving measure for the mid range kit. 

• Like 3

On 9/4/2023 at 7:04 AM, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

The Golden Crown Lager number you quoted is still a proper Lager yeast as far as I can remember before the list disappeared. 

Exactly the explanation given was smoke and mirrors and nothing more than a cost saving measure for the mid range kit. 

Found it. But then again maybe not. Is this a really old list?

What yeast do you have with your kits @jennyss? Does it match the list below?

Obviously the European Lager is wrong. But maybe the rest are accurate.

Original Series:- Ac (26807)

International Series:-
Australian Pale Ale - Ac+L (26807 Int)
Mexican Cerveza - Ac+L (26807 Int)
European Lager - L (26807 P) Not Lager Yeast.
Canadian Blonde - Ac (26807)
English Bitter - Ac (26807)

Thomas Coopers Selection:-
Wheat - A (26807 W)
IPA - Ac (26807 IPA)
Irish Stout - A (26807 IS)
Pilsener - L (26807 P)
Australian Bitter - Ac+L (26807 PS)
Heritage Lager - Ac+L (26807 PS)
Sparkling Ale - Ac+L (26807 PS)
Traditional Draught - Ac+L (26807 PS)

Note:
Ac = Coopers ale yeast (our own strain, not the same as the yeast in our commercial ales, developed in-house and propagated under contract).

A = ale yeast and L = lager yeast (these strains are commercially available dry yeast and their details are held in confidence).

Edited by Graculus
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Graculus said:

Found it. But then again maybe not. Is this a really old list?

What yeast do you have with your kits @jennyss? Does it match the list below?

Obviously the European Lager is wrong. But maybe the rest are accurate.

Original Series:- Ac (26807)

International Series:-
Australian Pale Ale - Ac+L (26807 Int)
Mexican Cerveza - Ac+L (26807 Int)
European Lager - L (26807 P) Not Lager Yeast.
Canadian Blonde - Ac (26807)
English Bitter - Ac (26807)

Thomas Coopers Selection:-
Wheat - A (26807 W)
IPA - Ac (26807 IPA)
Irish Stout - A (26807 IS)
Pilsener - L (26807 P)
Australian Bitter - Ac+L (26807 PS)
Heritage Lager - Ac+L (26807 PS)
Sparkling Ale - Ac+L (26807 PS)
Traditional Draught - Ac+L (26807 PS)

Note:
Ac = Coopers ale yeast (our own strain, not the same as the yeast in our commercial ales, developed in-house and propagated under contract).

A = ale yeast and L = lager yeast (these strains are commercially available dry yeast and their details are held in confidence).

I think that's an old list. These are the codes on the packets I've had this year and the Coopers cans they came with:

R3426 - Australian Pale Ale, European Lager, Mexican Cerveza

R007 - Real Ale, English Bitter

R3557 - TC Devil's Half Ruby Porter

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/2/2023 at 10:35 PM, Shamus O'Sean said:

I am pretty sure the 86 Days Pilsner and the Gold Crown Lager both still come with lager yeast.  Check the codes as per @Graculus's post.  The European Lager was changed from a lager yeast to a hybrid yeast (the same as what is in the APA and the Mexican Cerveza).

As for hops, it depends what you are after.  If you're looking for something fruity, like a New Zealand Pilsner, do a hop steep with the Citra, Mosaic or Galaxy.  A combo of any two of them would also be great.  The Cascade is a bit more subtle, so use it in a hop steep if you want more gentle fruity notes.

I reckon @Aussiekraut is on the money.  Give the Mangrove Jack's M54 Californian Lager yeast a go with one of those cans and see if you like it.  I am sure you will.

I emailed Coopers about this. The reply was that....

The yeasts are blends, although not necessarily the same strains.

It would appear that none of the Coopers kits come with lager yeast these days.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Graculus said:

I emailed Coopers about this. The reply was that....

The yeasts are blends, although not necessarily the same strains.

It would appear that none of the Coopers kits come with lager yeast these days.

Gee, I do not mind if they are a blend of lager yeasts.  However, if they are now an ale/lager blend, why would you buy them?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Gee, I do not mind if they are a blend of lager yeasts.  However, if they are now an ale/lager blend, why would you buy them?

I agree, quiet disappointing if all the kit cans come with an ale/lager blend yeast.

• Like 3