Coopers Community

Shamus O'Sean

Coopers Club Members
  • Last visited

• Days Won

Shamus O'Sean last won the day on April 29

Shamus O'Sean had the most liked content!

Recent Profile Visitors

6,122 profile views

Shamus O'Sean's Achievements

1. I like doing beers like this. It helps give you an idea of what to expect from specific hops.
  2. Hi G, In summary the Coopers Pacific Ale is: Australian Pale Ale 1kg Light Dry Malt 25g Galaxy Hops (half steeped and half dry addition) 25g Melba Hops (half steeped and half dry addition) Coopers Commercial Yeast Culture The full recipe is here: https://www.diybeer.com/au/recipe/coopers-pacific-pale-ale.html
  3. Put down some keg fillers today. I need to build up stock. Wheaty McWheatFace 1.7kg Coopers Preachers Hefe Wheat 1.5kg Coopers Wheat Liquid Extract 670g Coopers Wheat Malt Grains 500g Coopers Ale Malt Grains Wheaty McStoutFace 1.7kg Coopers Stout 1.5kg Coopers Wheat Liquid Extract 670g Coopers Wheat Malt Grains 500g Coopers Ale Malt Grains Method I did a 60 minute mash with the Wheat Malt and Ale Malt grains. Boiled the resultant wort for 5 minutes to sterilise it. Then I added the 2 cans of Coopers Wheat Liquid Extract. Stirred up the whole lot in a 20 litre pot. Cooled in a bath of water in the kitchen sink (plus I had 10 litres of water already in the fridge). Then split into 2 Coopers fermenters. Added the Hefe Wheat and Stout can to their respective fermenter. Topped up each FV to 27 litres. Original Gravity of 1.046 for the Stout and 1.044 for the Wheat. I must have mis-measured when splitting the base. For the Stout, I used 2 packets of yeast from Thomas Coopers Family Secret Amber Ale saved from a previous brewday. For the Wheat, I used a packet of Fermentis SafAle WB-06.
  4. Yeah. Just from what got sucked out through the 6.5mm ID beer line.
  5. I kegged my Margarita Lime Gose today using @iBooz2's closed transfer method. My fermenters had no pressure in them. My kegs had 15psi of free CO2 in them that I harvested from my previous fermentation. I just connected a gas to gas jumper from the empty keg to the fermenter so they initially equalised in pressure. Probably around 10psi. Then I removed the jumper and released the pressure in the keg, leaving the PRV open as per iBooz2's method. Going nicely. About 4 litres transferred quite quickly by this stage. Oops! This is something I did not account for. The siphoning force into the keg is stronger than the ability of the PET keg to keep its shape. At this stage, about 6.7 litres had transferred and I decided to close the PRV, so the PET did not distort too much more. The flow began to really slow down to a crawl around 7.3 litres transferred. Next I connected the gas to gas jumper and, lo and behold, the flow restarted around the normal flow rate for my usual closed transfer. The pressure initially equalised immediately, but the PET fermenter was still about the same distortion. By the time the transfer had finished, the PET keg had retained some of its shape, but was still a little distorted. By the way, the sample tasted amazing. Quite like a slightly tart lime cordial. I think this will be great once it is carbonated.
  6. Ah ha. I did not read your earlier post correctly. I have heard people say the flow control disconnects are a better option than flow control taps because they are controlling the flow at the keg rather than at the tap end of the beer line. But they still say correctly balancing the lines is better still. At the end of the day, it is about whatever works for you. By the way, your build looks fantastic.
  7. I saw this video is 30 minutes long, and I do not have time to watch it all at this stage. However, the guy in the video has some great simple ideas for doing other things. Therefore, whatever is in the video probably works.
  8. Sorry, I do not know. My taps do not have them. Supposedly, it is not best practice to try to manage foam with flow control taps. However, you see Kegland using them on taps connected straight onto the beer post of a keg. By "not best practice" I guess what they mean is: If you get the balance right between beer line length and pressure, you do not need flow control taps.
  9. Yep, several online beer line length calculators. Brewers Friend is one. Now my beer lines are 4mm ID and are around 2.5 metres long and seem to do the job well. That makes me think 2.5 metres of 5mm ID beer line might not have enough resistance to slow the flow and reduce frothing So, I say 4 metres Because of my experience, it is easier to cut short lengths off the tube until the flow is balanced
  10. Temperature is a matter of choice (and beer style). Try a temperature and see if you like it. I set my kegerator at 3°C and that's how I like it. I have not independently measured the temperature. But I am happy with it, so I have stayed with it. As @Back Brewing says, pressure is more about beer line length, and internal diameter. For most beers, mine is set to 12psi. I have about 2.5 metres of beer line with an ID of 4mm.
  11. Looks okay. What do you think the issue(s) is?
  12. I often use a 5 litre weed sprayer bottle with the wand removed and replaced with a carbonation cap to push cleaner, sanitiser, water, etc around. Sometimes it is filled with the liquid that gets pushed through beer lines etc. Sometimes I use the air pressure to move liquid out of another vessel.
  13. @Aussiekraut, not to rub it in, but to give some evidence. My latest keg after 24 hours at 40psi. Poured straight after purging the keg and setting it to serving pressure. You cannot see it in the photo, but it has good bubbling in the glass, albeit helped by a nucleated glass. I cannot explain why you do not have the same results doing it.
  14. Coopers Recipe Spreadsheet - April 2024 Hi Team Latest Coopers Recipe Spreadsheet is attached. April 2024 ROTM added: Coopers Botanic Ale & Lemondrop Lager. Click on the recipe name in red for pdf's of these recipes. Coopers Recipe Spreadsheet V3.04.24.xlsm Spreadsheet functionality: Links to Recipe artwork and pdf of most recipes at the far right. Handy if you want to make bottle or beer tap labels. You can click on the recipe name to jump to the recipe on the Coopers website (for those in au only) The little triangle icons beside each column title are auto-filters and can be used to sort the spreadsheet by the respective column. You can also use the drop boxes of the variables in each column to show those variables you want to see. For example, under Difficulty if you choose the Easy variable then only those recipes rated as Easy will be displayed. Or under Can 1, if you choose Real Ale only those recipes that have the Original Series Real Ale (as the main recipe can) will be displayed. Even better, in the Coopers Kits tab, you can see @Triple B Brewing's table "Recipes with multiple Extracts Used" to identify what Cooper's Kits are listed as Can 1, 2 and or 3 and in which recipes. Use this table if you have a can of, say English Bitter, and you want to know what recipes you can make with it. TBB also brought over the worksheets of “Cooper's Kits”, “Legend” and “Colour” from @Thirsty Jim’s workbook and also found Thirsty’s Recipe Scaler so TBB revved that up a tad and also added it to the workbook. Any queries? Post them to this thread.
  15. Coopers Botanic Ale - April 2024 Recipe of the Month in pdf format, for those outside of Australia to be able to see the recipe in perpetuity (below). Also click on the recipe name in red to see the recipe on the Coopers website (au only). Coopers Botanic Ale.pdf