Coopers Community

2Ltr Brewing Pan

LaurieJay

Please forgive my ignorance' date=' but what is a 2 litre "brewing pan" used for precisely?[/quote']

I think it is a reference to a saucepan.

Those shops are fine. Big W sells SS pots too.

OK, Laurie. You coulld get a 2 litre, but you'll find it extremely limiting with the amount of wort you could comfortably get in - perhaps only 1.5 litres or so. This will certainly be OK if you stick to steeping small amounts of grains and hop teas etc, but little else.

I believe Big W still have 19 or 20 litres ones for $20 (bought one a few weeks ago for my mum's place to use for stocks and soups would you believe). They also had 12 litre ones for $15???.

I really think you'll find either of those to be more useful and flexible.

I concur with the advice offered by my fellow forum members. A 2 litre pot is hardly worth the expense. A saucepan you already most likely own will hold a volume that size or close to it.

As you progress through your brewing, you'll find a pot that will hold a minimum of 5 litres to be far more useful & versatile.

Cheers & good luck with your future brewing,

Lusty.

I've got one of those cheap pots from kmart and big w. Thin bottom so you have to keep stirring!!! I bought a more expensive thicker bottom one from costco, actually a lot more expensive at $60 plus but I can relax a lot more with it.

Yes you are right Phil' date=' I was inspecting the thin bottom as well today. Did you find that it caused much of a problem in reality though?[/quote']

Not brewing related but I used mine to make soy milk on one of those cheap portable induction cookers. I was lazy and didn't stir the pot religiously, as in all the time. The bottom was badly burnt and so was the soy milk. Heavy bottom, sure still gets a brown stain on the bottom but its a lot more forgiving. When I was in Thailand at a Tesco I was looking at the induction cookers, came with a free saucepan. I asked for demo, but they didn't put any water in the pan. Only took a second to put a big dent, may have even been a hole, in the bottom with an accompanying loud noise. The (I think) $63 was well worth it, and I think also provides a more even heat.

I've got the 19L and 8L Big W stock pots and I find it very handy to have both. I've also got a 2L pot which I use for preparing bulk priming sugar - also very useful.

What sort of brewing are you doing Laurie? Maybe 2L is all you need for now, but if you're interested in advancing your brewing technique it won't be long before you want something bigger.

I'm going to spam another one of my videos that might apply to you - "

"

Cheers for the info guys, Big W it is then.

Yeah I've done a few simple beers using extract.

Now I'm hungry or should I say 'Thirsty' to get stuck into the hops and grains.

Any simple recipes you masters know of for someone stepping up to using hops/grains for the first time??

All grain isn't much of a step up from partial mash to be honest. You're basically doing exactly the same process, just with more grains and no extract. That's why I skipped the partial stage and just went straight from kits & bits/extract to AG.

Ruddy's suggestion for a kits and bits brew would be a good introduction to using hops and grains though so I'd probably go with that first up. I did brew a few batches like this before I went full AG and it was helpful to get an idea of processes.

Archived