Coopers Community

Brew Day!! Watcha' got, eh!? 2015

Canadian Eh!L

• Replies 888
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wednesday night brew night was done.

Attempt at a slightly hoppier version of a Northern English Brown Ale.

OS Coopers Dark Ale

1kg Light Dry Malt

500g Caramalt (cold steeped for 24hrs) then boiled for 30 mins

25g Fuggles @ 5 mins

25 Palisade @ Flameout

Safale S-04 Yeast rehydrated

23L

Should I dry hop this one too?

Wife's dad is coming up for a few weeks. He likes a beer but cannot last long drinking full strength so I though I'd make a low alcohol ale. Mashed high to hopefully maintain some body and not be fizzy piss.

I'l ferment it with US05.

Recipe: Lumpy's Blonde

Brewer: Grumpy

Style: Blonde Ale

Recipe Specifications

--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 l

Estimated OG: 1.040 SG

Estimated Color: 6.3 EBC

Estimated IBU: 28.1 IBUs

Ingredients:

------------

Amt Name Type # %/IBU

1.70 kg Pale Malt, Ale (Barrett Burston) (5.9 EB Grain 1 42.5 %

1.30 kg Pilsner (Weyermann) (3.3 EBC) Grain 2 32.5 %

0.50 kg Rye Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC) Grain 3 12.5 %

0.50 kg Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC) Grain 4 12.5 %

10.00 g Calypso [14.90 %] - First Wort 60.0 min Hop 5 18.1 IBUs

20.00 g Calypso [14.90 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20. Hop 6 10.0 IBUs

30.00 g Calypso [14.90 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days Hop 7 0.0 IBUs

Mash Schedule: BIAB, Full Body

Total Grain Weight: 4.00 kg

----------------------------

Name Description Step Temperat Step Time

Saccharification Add 32.45 l of water at 72.3 C 68.9 C 60 min

Mash Out Heat to 75.6 C over 7 min 75.6 C 10 min

It's OK, Ben. You have lots of brew buddies here to support you. So when you get the temptation to add another few kilos of grains and an extra 100 grams of hops, just shout out and one of your brew buddies will talk you out of it. However, we're all thrilled you've taken the first step in the program; at least you've now admitted you have a problem. rightful

G'day Ben.

Nice looking recipe for what you're aiming to produce. That Calypso hop, is that the one used in the DIY Mexican Cerveza kit recipe? Apple/pear-like notes? unsure

How do you find using larger quantities of both rye & wheat malt in the same grist. Any issues with stuck mashes? Also, do these beers end up with high head development once in the glass? unsure

Just curious.

Good luck with the brew,

Lusty.

OK, tomorrow I plan on sacrificing a fermenter to the wild side (sort of).

Penny Pale Ale

15 lt Fresh Wort Kit from All Inn Brewing Co.

Pale 81%

Wheat 15%

Crystal 4%

Magnum @ 90 min - 23 IBU

Cascade @ 10 min - 6 IBU

Brett(ish)

The Yeast Bay - Funktown Pale Ale Yeast.

Funktown Pale Ale is a blend of our Vermont Ale strain and a unique strain of Brettanomyces that is well suited for primary fermentation. The combination of the citrus/peach esters from the Vermont Ale strain and the very light funk and pineapple/mango esters from the Brettanomyces produces a unique flavor and aroma profile that is fruit-forward. Expect this blend to finish drier than the Vermont Ale.

BRETT & PENNY

- 15lt Fresh Wort Kit

- 300g Dry Wheat Malt

- 200g Dextrose

- 15g each of Summer, Galaxy & Citra (infusion)

- 30g Galaxy dry hop

- 30g Citra dry hop

- Funktown Pale Ale Yeast

- 19 lt brew

I will let you know how it turns out. I'm pretty excited about this one.

Cheers + beers,

Mark

at least you've now admitted you have a problem. rightful

I will have if I drink this one... :)devil

G'day Ben.

Just curious.

Lustman... it is indeed the same hop as suggested by PB2 for the Mex. I figure it should give some mild fruit which should work well.

As for the grist, no stuck mashes due to BIAB...

My all time favourite recipe contains around 15% rye and has always been great. I expect a little spice in the beer from that.

And the wheat, I have used 50% wheat in ales before and liked it a lot. Went really well with a Kolsch yeast and some judicious late hopping.

Last month I took advantage of the Coopers club free shipping and grabbed a couple of different kits and some liquid malt extracts.

So today I tore myself away from brewing the Coopers APA kit and bits and put down the Sparkling ale recipe.

My OG came out at 1059 with 21 litres at 21 degrees C surprised so I decided to pitch a 12 gram sachet of US-05 instead of the 7 gram kit yeast, fingers crossed.

Big jump buddy. Yet to try a sour' date=' I am sure I would love it though... All the best.

I'll throw down an easy drinking amber tomorrow...

Recipe: Fanta Pants III

Brewer: Grumpy

Recipe Specifications

--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 l

Estimated OG: 1.039 SG

Estimated Color: 30.5 EBC

Estimated IBU: 27.0 IBUs

Ingredients:

------------

Amt Name Type # %/IBU

3.30 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 mins Water Agent 1 -

1.50 g Calcium Chloride (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 2 -

1.50 g Epsom Salt (MgSO4) (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 3 -

2.50 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (5.9 EBC) Grain 4 64.9 %

1.00 kg Munich II (Weyermann) (16.7 EBC) Grain 5 26.0 %

0.30 kg Caraaroma (Weyermann) (350.7 EBC) Grain 6 7.8 %

0.05 kg Chocolate Malt (Thomas Fawcett) (1000.8 Grain 7 1.3 %

10.00 g Dana [13.90 %'] - First Wort 60.0 min Hop 8 17.0 IBUs

1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 9 -

20.00 g Calypso [14.90 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20. Hop 10 10.0 IBUs

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maybe Burton Union yeast so I can build it up for some re use in a few heavies....

Brew day! happy

Grapefruit Overload Pale Ale

Coopers Light Liquid Malt extract 1.5kgs

Light Dry Malt extract 500gms

Barret Burston Ale Malt grain 500gms

Munich Malt grain 500gms

Barret Burston Wheat Malt grain 250gms

Dark Crystal Malt grain 150gms

Riwaka (5.2%AA) 25gms @ FWH

Chinook (12.6%AA) 10gms @ 30mins

Chinook 15gms @ 10mins

Riwaka 20gms @ flameout

Chinook 25gms @ flameout

Riwaka 25gms dry hopped

Chinook 25gms dry hopped

Mangrove Jacks M44 WCA yeast

Brewed to 23 litres

Ferment @ 18-19°C

OG = approx. 1.047

FG = ?

EBC = 15.1

IBU = approx. 34.0

This should make for an interesting little experiment.

Good luck with those BRETT influenced beers Mark. Hopefully there are no lingering issues with it in your brewery beyond these two brews. unsure

Cheers,

Lusty.

Yummy yum yum! The riwaka is a great hop. And you coudn't pluck up enough courage to use kohatu in there as well? lol

I think it must be getting pretty close to time for another kiwi pale ale for me too!

PS. Looking at the malt and amounts (and depending on how you like to mash), I reckon you should be looking at an FG around 1.010 to 11.

Hi Antsi. smile

The Kohatu is certainly an interesting hop on paper, & will likely get a look in down the track at some point. Probably next of the NZ hops I'm most interested in using would be Pacifica (Hallertau offshoot), & the Rakau that I know you gave a glowing report on when you brewed with it. wink

I'm really at a point now with my brewing, that I should be re-brewing a lot more of the successful recipes I've brewed in the past, & backing off with the experimental stuff, that despite learning from each time, can be a little hit & miss at times to varying degrees.

To date, comparatively I've used an enormous variety of hops for a home brewer, have used a good variety of yeast strains now, & a good whack of different malted grains & combos etc.

Probably time to start pumping out some proven winners more often based on what I've learned over the last 4 or so years since joining this forum, than going through the prayer ritual after pitching the yeast into a new brew each weekend! lol

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

Does your software not predict the FG or something Lusty? Seems to be a lot of recipes you post with "FG = ?" Obviously the actual FG is unknown but an estimated FG should be available? unsure

I use IanH's spreadsheet. It's not setup for base malts' date=' although I do punch them into the specialty malt grain area of the spreadsheet using their true "potential".

With this brew, it estimates a FG of 1.012, but that is based around the grain bill being purely specialty malt, not base malt inclusive. Base malt has a higher fermentibilty than specialty malt grains. Add to that, I'm using a new yeast that I have no idea to what level it attenuates, & I am mashing lower than I normally would, so that is why I listed the "FG = ?".

Fair call don't your think? [img']wink[/img]

Cheers,

Lusty.

I guess so. tongue Although I suppose you could always use different software that does allow these additions to be all put in accurately. Purely your choice of course. Out of curiosity I just put the malt bill with extracts into Beersmith and it predicted an OG of 1041 in 23 litres, however that's based on an efficiency of 72.5% for the mash side of things (80% gives 1042). I don't know what you actually get with your partials though.

Anyway.. it doesn't really matter as long as it turns out well. devil

Hey Fellas,

Yesterday, bottled one, brewed one.

1.5 Kg DME

300g Carahell (Hot Steep)

25g Centennial @ 30 mins

25g Galaxy @ Flame out (30 min post boil steep)

25g Centennial (Dry)

US O5 (pitched 2 cups of slurry from the bottled brew) @ 20C

21L

OG 1030 FG (est) 1010.

Cheers,

Dave.

Big jump buddy. Yet to try a sour' date=' I am sure I would love it though... All the best.[/quote']

Cheers Ben. Typically the Brett strains introduce funk flavours (ie horse blanket or barnyard qualities) not sourness as they don't produce any acidity. You might enjoy some Brett influence in one of your saisons.

Good luck with those BRETT influenced beers Mark. Hopefully there are no lingering issues with it in your brewery beyond these two brews. unsure

Hey Lusty. I am using my original fermenter which doesn't see much action these days so I can keep this experiment separate from my normal brewing.

Cheers.

Good onya, Mark! Keep us posted as to how the BRETT goes.

I caught a wild yeast in the brewery a few months ago that has produced a handful of good beers. This has got me thinking about other "bugs" and how they might make some nice beers down the line.

Good luck with this one!

Just bottled a Coopers Sparkling Ale as per reciepie in here with added Crystal Malt and Pale Malt grains and a snazzie 60g Citra Hops.

Smelt just top shelf and tasted great from test tube.

Will be interesting as I have moved away from carbonation drops and bulked primed with dextrose. Bit nervous and excited for testing.

Hi Koo wee brew.

Hey Fellas' date='

Yesterday, bottled one, brewed one.

1.5 Kg DME

300g Carahell (Hot Steep)

25g Centennial @ 30 mins

25g Galaxy @ Flame out (30 min post boil steep)

25g Centennial (Dry)

US O5 (pitched 2 cups of slurry from the bottled brew) @ 20C

21L

OG 1030 FG (est) 1010. [/quote']

Your slight spin-off of PB2's Nelson's Light beer recipe should produce a lovely light to midstrength beer. wink

Let us know how the Galaxy/Centennial combo turns out.

Cheers,

Lusty.

Hi Lusty,

Hi Koo wee brew

Your slight spin-off of PB2's Nelson's Light beer recipe should produce a lovely light to midstrength beer. wink

Let us know how the Galaxy/Centennial combo turns out.

Cheers' date='

Lusty.[/size']

I have brewed the Nelson Light a few times. It's a great drop!

I have tried Galaxy/Cascade combo before with good success, so hopefully this will give a similar result.

Cheers,

Dave.

Well done, Mr L.

That's a nice hoppin'. Will be very interested to hear how it goes?

But now you'll have an empty FV. What's up next?

[/qu

dont if this was meant for me but ill answer anyways.

Was going to re do one of my earlier brews, still keeping it simple and bulk priming instead of drops to see difference.

Thought of putting down a Coopers P/A with 250g Crystal Malt 750g Pale Malt grains and hop it with 40g Amarillo, and then bulk prime with dextrose. I am actually drinking the drops version now, which is NICE so will be interesting and excited to taste the above.

Cheers

Sorry, Mr L. I imagine you're more used to be called Mr President, but I do have a habit of confusing everyone including myself. Way to go, BTW. When you get the hang of bulk priming it is one helluva lot easier than putting drops in each bottle, IMHO.

Cheers.

PS. I'm sure you're aware that when using pale malt grains they need to be mashed and not just steeped. Just thought I'd mention that.

Archived