Coopers Community

The Front Bar, General all topic every day chit chat thread.

Del

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

looks like it would go well with a dollop of ice cream/thickened cream,

ill leave the cake baking to the misses.. i do the brewing and all other cooking..

how many of you fellas are also the head chef of the house??

we did a bit of a round up with my mates one day.. and everyone of us with a partner, the men are all the main chefs/cooks for the home. not one of our women folk are the main kitchen bitch...

we did this while at a bbq around my pool last summer. we realised us guys had done all the work and the ladies where sitting around smashing wines and ciders by the pool..

we made them do the clean up!

• 3 weeks later...

Okay Scott, I'll play. [biggrin]

Going out tonight with SWMBO to the Kingsford in Gawler for some kind of dead animal.

I think the most interesting thing they have on tap is Guinness, but I might inquire about that.

Haven't had the greatest week, so it'll be nice to end it eating.

Shame you didn't go there last night, mad karaoke guy on their website. Yeah Guinness or Cooper's Pale are the picks. My Local, RSL has less choice than that. Hope next week improves. Enjoy your dead animals be it feathered, furred or finned.

Yep, it's the stone grill place. They've got a mad salad bar, so I always end up having to waddle out of the place. They just finished renovating the dining area too and it's lovely.

I got a chicken schnitzel with supreme pizza topping on it!

Golden Ale was amongst the taps so I had a pint (or schooner in the other states) just to see if it was as nice as I remembered it. Wow, very bland compared to what I brew at home. Still better than Super Dry, but I felt a little let down. [annoyed]

struggling to keep the temps down in my FV this coupe of days.. got it in a bath tub with ice blocks and its still sitting on 22/24 brewing a Thomas coopers Wheat beer. about to go buy 3 bags of ice and really chill the fkr down!

that shed of yours would be an oven phil!!! brewing this week at all?

Hey Del, have you tried freezing bottles of water?

(I use 125ml bottles that used to hold carbonated mineral water, just refilled with tap water)

Much cheaper than buying bags of ice, and if you freeze enough bottles you can rotate them so you have bottles freezing whilst others are in your tub; works a treat and much easier than lugging bags about. Just sayin...

yeah mate! got 6 techni ice, ice sheets in the freezer plus 3x2L water bottles. but they are defrosting pretty quick and not re freezing fast enought. and i dont have any more spare in the freezer..

on a side note.. 3bags of ice for 10$.. and a 7-10day ice box means... i have an esky full of ice cold beer!!! :D

Hi Del.

struggling to keep the temps down in my FV this coupe of days.. got it in a bath tub with ice blocks and its still sitting on 22/24 brewing a Thomas coopers Wheat beer. about to go buy 3 bags of ice and really chill the fkr down!

If a brew fridge is not an option for you right now, & the current method is not working to your satisfaction, perhaps try these...

Reuseable Dry Ice Packs

I ran a full day trial on them in hot conditions last year, & they work a treat. [cool]

Even though I have a brew fridge now, I still use them for the second week of my primary fermentation, so that I can free up the fridge for a new brew every week if I so choose.

I actually have one strapped to a current brew & it is holding the brew at a very nice & stable 20\xb0C. [joyful]

If you would like a link to the test I conducted, I can provide that if required.

Just another option for you.

Cheers,

Anthony.

i have about 50 of those packs.. mostly dehydrated. but i have 6 in the freezer hydrated and freezing. im thinking the water bath idea may not be the best idea out there. ill wait untill the next batch of sheets are frozen up then strap a few directly to the fermenter and wrap in a towel. see if that makes a difference. till then.. ice bath will be my only option.

a second fridge is not a viable option at this stage due to no space for it :(

living in a second story apartment with Massive Westerly windows and no proper airconditioning.. does have its draw backs.. think ill just have to take a couple of my finished TC IPA's down to the pool and cool off..

Hey guys just wanted to ask a quick question of my more experienced peers. I was trying to make just the basic coopers dark ale with the pack from the on-line store but they accidentally sent brew enhancer 2 instead of brew enhancer 1, I don't want to wait for a replacement because I want to ferment it ASAP. Any thoughts about whether going ahead using brew enhancer 2 is a good idea?

Cheers in advance,

Red.

Red, welcome to the forum. There is a wealth of information & experience on here (tho' not necessarily from me [crying] ).

The difference between BE1 & BE2 is BE2 contains Light Dry Malt which will give your brew a more malty flavour. I would use it in preference to BE1.

Go ahead with your brew & let us know how it goes.

p.s. No relation to the drummer from the Muppets? [cool]

hey Phil, you made mention earlier about the DAnstar Munich yeast being aggressive and a maaaaaaad Krausen.. well i found the opposite.

Pitched at 20-22deg, it took about 8 hrs before i got a bloop.. and the krausen was one of the mildest ive ever had! certainly nothing like the oatmeal stout we brewed ;)

i think we kept it between 20-24 at best since tuesday. currently sitting at a nice 20.

still got some mild bloops ( yes i do like my airlock.. it adds an aural pleasure to brewing :P ) but ill take a Grav reading tomorrow and see where its at! OG was 1.040

• 4 weeks later...

Okay, who the hell gets a rotten stinking cold in the middle of summer? Gobsmacked emoticon.

Me. And on the first day of my annual leave as well. Grumpy emoticon.

On the upside, I have even worse taste buds than normal. Time to use up some of the more boring/sub-par home brews that I've been ignoring. Black clouds and silver linings emoticon.

Archived