Coopers Community

The Front Bar, General all topic every day chit chat thread.

Del

Nick.. my plans maybe changing very fast... lol i might be in queensland next week! awaiting a phone call in the next 24hrs.. an interesting job came up.. :D

as for the cricket.. i doubt anyone has layered their bat with anything any different than what they have always used.

Just a shame to have this sort of crap come out after such a disappointing series!

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bottling the IPA tomorrow.. could the stout do with some time in FV after fermentation??

it was still blooping today... but water levels have neutralised i the Airlock. ill check FG tomorrow.. what are we expecting as an FG for this stout?

Pretty damn high with that yeast as I recall, but we did mash low and use some sugar. This is just a guess, but anywhere from 1.014-1.018?

Leave it for a few days after the SG is stable. I often worry about leaving these 'messy' beers in the FV too long (sides of the FV usually look like the loo after vindaloo night [pinched]), but a week after FG should be cool.

a week... i fly out tuesday/wednesday.. i get back.. hrmmm... the 30th... then fly out again for another 2 weeks... ill check Gravity tonight and again sunday.. and i think ill have to bottle it monday.. or.. it will sit on the yeast cake for 3-4 weeks?

sitting pretty much in the 18-20 range at moment. with the belt off. the ferment temps skyrocketed early from the aggressive fermentation. but has settled now to the more steadier temps.

Eeek! 3-4 weeks on the cake with no fridge? [surprised

What do the rest of you guys reckon? Turn the heat up a bit to make sure it's done and bottle on Monday?

yeah i kinda planned to bottle this in about a week or so.. but.. i wasnt planning to fly to Cairns for a job next week! :D

Is the Mrs going with you? If not, she can either:

1. Bottle it for you, or

2. Make some room in the kitchen fridge and move it in there when it is finished.

Hairy, she is heading 800km away.. to our beach shack at coffin bay. ill be in Cairns she will be in Coffins.. then when i return from Cairns/Cape York ill fly down to Coffins for a week.

looks like an early bottle i think.. :( unexpected work commitments!

Hmm. If she can't bottle it for you, and you can't find a fridge to fit it in, I'd be aiming for bottling on Monday, but be DAMN sure it's finished, as that will only be day 8 yeah? Would be a shame to turn all that hard work into grenades.

Give it some more heat for a couple days (up to 22c or a bit more) and really finish it off. Not the best, but you've gotta be sure it's done before it goes into those bottles mate.

Good luck, and let us know what your readings are.

tested on the hydrometer and its sitting around 118/120 at moment. and very tastey for flat beer! ill apply the belt again and bring it back up a bit.. its been very hard to get the temp right on this brew..

my STC1000 arrived! but i also dont have a brew fridge available.. or the room for it.. but i might be able to make some room... wonder if i can fit a FV in a bar fridge...

Test again tomorrow man, but don't freak if it doesn't go much lower. That yeast I gave you is actually rebadged Windsor. It's notorious for going ape s*it early on and finishing high. Take your readings though to be sure it's not still dropping.

Will have LOTS of body though. You'll need to chew this one. [love]

bit of experimentation with the brew.. i can fit the 20L jerry we transported it from yours to mine, INTO THE FRIDGE! well if i remove shlves etc from the door..

so.. can leave it in the FV till monday.. then Rack it to the Jerry then fridge it for a couple weeks will i get home again to bottle it? will 3-4 weeks in the fridge be a problem chilled to .. what ever temp the fridge is set at ?

Anyone else care to comment?

Sure.

If it is ready to bottle on Monday then bottle it. If it isn't ready then there isn't much point racking it and putting it in the fridge because it hasn't finished fermenting.

My advice is if it hasn't finished then find the coolest part of the house and leave it there until you return. Even if you sit it in your shower.

If you have been sanitary then leaving it for another few weeks in primary will be fine. And you shouldn't be hitting 40 degrees in the house in winter.

I love how this general all topic thread has turned into another brewing thread. [lol]

Anyway, on the topic of beers, I'm going to check out Archive beer bar tonight, one of my friends is having a party/get together thingo there. Apparently they have over 400 craft beers so I don't think I'll be able to sample all of them but I'll certainly be trying a few I haven't sampled yet! Looking forward to it and I might report back tomorrow but I probably won't really remember much. [innocent] [lol]

I went to dinner tonight with the family at Panthers Leagues Club and had a couple of beers at the James Squire Terrace Bar.

They have the usual JS beers on tap, the Kosciusko pale ale and whatever the limited release is. Currently that is the James Squire Hop Thief. This was the first time I had tried one of these releases and it is isn't bad. It uses centennial and Citra hops and has a nice medium body. Seems to have a fair bit of crystal in it so a couple was enough for me.

This bar may not seem that great but it is like an oasis in the craft beer desert that is Penrith.

I just finished my second beer since last Sunday. [cool]

Had a n ESB before (with quite a vegetal taste might I add [crying]) and finished with an oatmeal stout. Nearly 6 days dry. Just wanted to see how I'd go.

The verdict? Not bad at all, and really savoured the beers. Might make it a regular thing. [unsure]

Today's plan:

Go for a walk while SWMBO is at the markets.

Return a bunch of bottles to the recycling depot.

Several loads of laundry.

Take the dog to the dog park.

Bottle an APA.

Working out what to drink tonight. I'm thinking APA, Belgian, Porter in that order.

More than I like to fit into a Sunday, but there you go.

Hope everyone has a good one!

Archived