Coopers Community

The Front Bar, General all topic every day chit chat thread.

Del

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

got a couple of cheap CLIPSAL 500 tickets available if anyone is keen.

Thursday GA retail 42... $25

Saturday and sunday GA both retail 97.. $60 each or 100 for both.

gimme a buzz on 0415152415 if anyone is keen. im available for most days till next thursday then ill be at the track working start finish line area!

got a couple of cheap CLIPSAL 500 tickets available if anyone is keen.

Thursday GA retail 42... $25

Saturday and sunday GA both retail 97.. $60 each or 100 for both.

gimme a buzz on 0415152415 if anyone is keen. im available for most days till next thursday then ill be at the track working start finish line area!

Yeah' date=' good move. I wouldn't bother going to the motor racing either [img']innocent[/img]

Yeah' date=' good move. I wouldn't bother going to the motor racing either [img']innocent[/img]

hahah yeah.. Ill be working at start finish line.. hehhehe 4 days of grid girls ;)

Ah, you have got me on that one. The one redeeming feature of motor sports biggrin

• 1 month later...

Been putting off brewing, and posting for a while due to other distractions.

I got to the point where I needed a distraction from my other distractions, so kicked off a Coopers APA on Tuesday, and popped in some hops pellets (wrapped in an old stocking) this morning.

Now I have it up and running and looking good my other distractions are coming front and centre to me.

That's why although I suggested catching up, I didn't try to catch up with Otto when he was in Sydney, so have to say, sorry Otto (AKA Kelsey), maybe some other time.

Not meaning to sound like a whinger, but I've had some serious health problems of my own, as well as a recent (but not unexpected) diagnosis of my mother in law's dementia; which of course she alternates between believing in and then thinking everyone is conspiring to put her in a nursing home - brain scans showing lesions and diagnosis from geriatricians don't lie.

Add to that my daughter had half her leg amputated yesterday due to a rare form of cancer, and some other issues, and you can understand why my posts and comments have been few and far between.

I seem to alternate between not being able to feel or express any emotion, and then suddenly becoming overwhelmed; if I didn't have my home brew, my dog, and my wife I probably wouldn't still be here.

Enough of my rant though; just wanted to vent and for anyone doing it tough out there, I know how you're feeling, and even though I don't know you, I can certainly empathize with you.

Cheers.

Hey Beebs,

Sorry to hear about your recent woescrying. Here's hoping things take a turn for the better. Here's hoping for a speedy recovery and a long and happy life to your daughter and a graceful way out for your Mother-in law. I'm hoisting a mug of ale to you and yours.

Keep on keeping on!cool

Well, I am pretty chuffed with myself I must say.

2 weeks into a self imposed alcohol free month. Going to the pub after work for a soda lime & bitters, then heading home.

I've gotta say, I feel great, and I reckon I will do this from time to time just to break the cycle (and maybe lose a few kgs).

Winning.

coolrightful

Hey Phil,

Good for you, Mate! I'm on a little dry out period myself. I'm nowhere near as strong as you with your alcohol- free regime. I'm down to two pints a day instead of my usual eight or so. I also have recently taken up cycling after a 20 year hiatus. I've got a hundred Km's under my wheels already and I'm looking for a lot more than that. I recently retired from lumberjacking and the bush so I need something to stay physical to keep my shapely figure.biggrin

I recently retired from lumberjacking and the bush

surprised

What are you up to now?

Beeblebrox, I hope things start to pick up for you and your family. It sounds like you are doing it petty tough so make sure you look after yourself.

Hi Beeblebrox.

I'm really sorry to hear about your recent family issues. I have an uncle who also recently fell victim to Dementia. It is very sad to watch an intelligent person who in every other area is a fit & healthy man, gradually fall victim to this form of brain deterioration. sad

Add to that, what has happened to your daughter, & man that is tough.

Stay strong, & don't let your daughter get too down on herself.

I wish you well, in what are probably going to be some very trying months/years ahead.

Anthony.

Hey Beeblebrox

Sometimes life deals you lemons. Sometimes it's total utter crap.

I'd like to say I know how you're feeling. But I don't. I'd like to tell you how to fix it. I can't. I'd like to say I've been through the same experiences. That one I can put my hand up for - or at least for similar types of experiences. I can also say that, now, I can read between the lines.

In my extremely humble opinion, from what you have written, you are rapidly heading towards the crossroads. You can take the route I did and continue your ride down the water slide. While the consequences vary considerably, at least (in hindsight) I'm in the lucky majority to still be here.

Alternatively, consider reading something like this. I know you haven't been in a major disaster, you've been in a series of smaller incremental disasters. Yeah, I also know real men don't talk about these things 'cos we can handle it ourselves. But sometimes that ain't quite true. Yeah, I know it's embarrassing - cripes, I couldn't even tell my own parents for more than 10 years.

You don't have to believe me alone. Ask you partner or your best mate this question: "Even with all the sh!t that's gone on over the last few weeks/months, do you think I'm behaving differently or out-of-character?"

Please, Beeblebrox, read it and talk to someone. Maybe even consider giving me the benefit of the doubt because I'm a survivor. (Antiphile dismounts his soap box.)

Power to you, mate

Phil

I recently retired from lumberjacking and the bush

surprised

What are you up to now?

Hey Hairy' date='

There is not a lot of work for a Lumberjack such as myself around here anymore even though the there is still trees as far as the eyes can see. There are as many or more loaded logging trucks coming out of the bush, headed for the mills. It's only the harvesting type Lumberjack that is still busy. I have barely worked more than 10 days in the last 4 months. It's tough to provide for your family when on half pay.

The choice to move on should have been a simple one, but I really had to do some soul searching to decide if I was ready to give up on my career/life in the bush.

I am now two days into my new career as a warehouse/shop man and odd jobs guys for a busy heating and plumbing business in town. I'm loving it![img']happy[/img] There is so much to do. I find myself very busy and happy! I can ride my bike to work along the river and it only takes five minute as opposed to a two hour commute for my old job.smile

whistlingI'm not a Lumberjack and it's Okay...whistling

Thanks all.

Rest assured I am doing my best to take care of myself; and although I have mentioned my current scenario, this is just the recent stuff, (with a lot else going on besides) my life for at least the past two decades (admittedly with occasional good times), has been the sort of thing the Biblical Job would have baulked at!

Thanks to my wonderful dog I am required to go for at least two walks every day.

If I don't take him or make him wait he barks at me to let me know to get off my backside!

Thanks to my self discipline (with a bit of a nag from the mrs from time to time), I have a pretty good exercise routine (physical and mental), that if it doesn't make me fitter, at least helps me avoid getting too much worse.

Naturally also I have sought professional help; the human body and mind can take only so much stress, and it is a strong and self aware man that acknowledges and acts when he see's that he doesn't have the resources to deal with it all on his own, and I am aware that there is no easy way out.

So far as what I'm doing, well I've restricted myself to what I can handle for now, which inevitably still includes being my wife's carer (she has CP, uses a wheelchair and walker for mobility, but is employed full time in a public service role).

I'm her sole carer, and she's pretty much mine, but together we make a pretty formidable team.

It would be an unwise or very brave individual to take us on together, and if they were to do so they would see that our combined physical and mental strength is something to behold!

As for my daughter, she inherited my determination, stubbornness, and ability to disregard other people's wishes if it conflicts with her needs, (and a good dose of the same from her mother) so I think she'll be okay; just she's a teenager, and teenage girls with divorced parent's tend not to confide too closely with their father's when they live with their mother, or so I've come to believe.

So indeed I'm hanging in there, and shouldn't be needing to call lifeline or beyond blue any time soon, but do have contingency plans if it all gets too much (I can access other resources online, over the phone, or via my wife's Employee Assistance Program as a family member).

So again thanks for the support, and I'm man enough to admit your good wishes and responses brought a tear and pained smile to my face.

Cheers.

Hi Beebles

Oh to have your insight, intelligence and self-awareness. From what you said you certainly have got things pretty well under control, including an understanding family and support network.

Yet if at any stage you need a hollow vessel to talk to, or would like any other assistance, don't hesitate to drop me a note. Being a public forum, I'll just give you an email address I've created to contact me (rather than announcing phone numbers etc here). I'm sure you'll understand.

Email: zaphod at phile dot com dot au

Cheers, Phil

Beeb, there are more than just a few on this forum who have been or who still are doing some hard yards. I would even guess that some have turned to making their own beer and joining this forum as form of therapy and to provide a distraction and diversion. As those before me have said, hang in there mate and remember, you are not alone.

Nick

Hi Beebles

Oh to have your insight' date=' intelligence and self-awareness. From what you said you certainly have got things pretty well under control, including an understanding family and support network.

Yet if at any stage you need a hollow vessel to talk to, or would like any other assistance, don't hesitate to drop me a note. Being a public forum, I'll just give you an email address I've created to contact me (rather than announcing phone numbers etc here). I'm sure you'll understand.

Email: zaphod at phile dot com dot au

Cheers, Phil

[/quote']

Thanks Phil,

Yes, insight, intelligence and self-awareness; all of which I guess can fall under the banner of wisdom.

Most unfortunately the price of wisdom is trauma, pain, and unpleasant experiences

There is something to be said for blissful ignorance, and often I wish I was just a little stupider, or less of a thinker, so that like so many others I could just put it all out of my head, whistle and just get on with life like nothing ever happened!

Thanks for the kind offer, and certainly I will consider using the email account you set up if things don't look like they're on the improve after the weekend.

At least I'll have the Mrs around pretty much 24/7 (unless I get too much for her), over the next couple of days, so hopefully we can pool our resources and come out better after a nice weekend, and no doubt some relaxing home brew; which reminds me - she hates my usual beer, but loves my ginger beer and Blushing Blonde!

Go figure, but I may convert her yet; the Blushing Blonde is pretty much her beer, I much prefer a good APA, Canadian Blonde or what have you, but have been reduced to drinking "her stash", and have to say it certainly is drinkable, just not my usual first choice.

Cheers mate, and cheers everyone.

I'll be offline over the weekend (or most likely will be, as my wife hates looking at the back of my head), but the mrs will be home in about half an hour or so, and all will be at least semi normal from there on; at least if I have anything to say about it!

• 1 month later...

Hey lads!

I'm in Lismore NSW (and have been since Sunday) for work, and thought I'd share something which is new to me, but may not be a surprise to you.

Last night I got bored and schnitzely, so I went in search of a pub. Found my way to a nice bar called Mary G's, and made friends with some of the locals. When it was my round, I asked what everyone was drinking, and they all said Coopers! Apparently the whole only-Australian-owned-big-brewery thing carries a fair bit of weight, even interstate! Most of them said they preferred Coopers because 'it just tastes more like real beer.'

I laughed and wept, and thought to myself, what a wonderful place we live in.

Way to conquer the world, Coopers!coolcoolcool

Mate, as you've no doubt figured by now, Lismore NSW is a real alternative/hippy/treechange town.

They're are a lot of people fed up with city life there, so finding they prefer a real Aussie beer made with pure ingredients is no surprise.

Of course you're only a short drive in Lismore from Nimbin, which is where people went for a stoner holiday in the 1970's and never returned.

It's an interesting town for a visit to see what happened to the Hippy dream when the drugs got harder, but not a good place to live or stay.

I think a trip to Nimbin is in order so you can see why alcohol is the preferred legal drug of choice for many.

That said, there is a nice pub there in Nimbin, and some nice cafe's and the like, and as anyone from or who's visited that neck of the woods will tell you, the best thing about (insert northern river's town's name), is that it isn't Byron Bay.

Byron of course is an example of what happens when the guys with the big bucks (like Gerry Harvey), buy up big and turn a sea change town into a resort town; you end up with a place with an identity crisis and a lot of unhappy feral residents, and too many stoned and drunk tourists; and high prices for local beers, but at least you get some good gigs up there, and many international artists stop by Byron on their tours, presumably to get a break from the grind of touring cities.

Archived