Coopers Community

Airlocks: Clearing the C02 Air!

Hi guys.

There is a clear difference with home brewers who are for the use of airlocks, & for those who are against the use of airlocks when primary fermenting beer.

I've tried to ignore much of the rhetoric stated on the forum about the negative reasons for using an airlock type setup for primary fermenting beer, but after recent comments, I feel the following needs to be stated.

FACT 1: Home brew kits come with airlocks & screw top lid fermenters because when in ferment, they are the BEST GUIDE to where your brew is at during primary fermentation, & the best way of keeping your brew contamination free. If this wasn't the case, your home brew kit would contain a roll of glad wrap & a rubber band!

FACT 2: The percentage of actual contaminated brews experienced by home brewers is noticeably higher with those that adopt the glad wrap method, as opposed to those that use the airlock method. (Yes, look into it!)

FACT 3: The replacement cost of the fermenter lid rim seal & the airlock rim seal over time is considerably lower than the cost of purchasing glad-wrap & rubber bands over the same period of time.

FACT 4: If you personally are unable to secure the lid on a Vegemite jar, then the glad wrap method is probably best for you. [innocent]

Whatever method you use for sealing your fermenter, the fact remains that you will need a stable Specific Gravity of your brew that is very close to the expected Final Gravity for that brew, before you can safely bottle it anyway.

How you approach that same end point of primary fermentation is completely up to you.

To those that doubt the effectiveness of an airlock, don't be BS'd about the realities. [rightful]

Long Live The Airlock!! [wink]

Anthony.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ha ha, you are a trouble maker Lusty [lol]

Two points:

1. Personally, I couldn't care less whether people used an airlock or not. Whatever works for them is fine.

2. Can you post some links or your research to support Fact 2? You threw the point out there so rather than asking us to look into it, present your evidence here.

I use 2 of the new DIY Fv's and 1 of the old style FV's with the airlock. I never bottle unless the hydrometer tells me to and both types make good beer.

Personally i find cleaning the airlock and the grommet seal a PITA compared to the ease of cleaning the lid on the new DIY jobs.

Now i use a brew fridge which is limited for height i just cover the airlock hole on the old FV with a sterilised bottle cap and will probably do that all the time.

As you said Lusty, its all about the destination, not the journey.

Ha ha' date=' you are a trouble maker Lusty [lol']

Yep, and he knows it, but hearing the pros and cons from both sides, does make us more informed and in a better position to make choices.

Trouble is, Lusty has already made his mind up[innocent]

[lol] I was wondering when a topic would be started on this subject.

Heinrich if you have one of the new style fermenters, they don't have an airlock. I'm guessing they did away with them because too many new brewers get confused and panic when the things don't bubble, which is why they are not a guide at all as to where the brew is at during fermentation. Most of the time the seals aren't airtight and the CO2 finds alternate ways to escape the FV. I would guess the grommet itself because they never seem to fit absolutely snugly into the hole in the lid. Yes you can muck around trying to get the seal airtight but why bother? It's still sealed well enough to prevent things getting in. Your hydrometer is the best guide to where the brew is at, unless you get a stuck fermentation for some reason, but that's a whole different story and irrelevant to the subject.

I couldn't care less whether people use airlocks or not either. I use the lid and airlock purely as a seal from the outside air. It never bubbles. If I relied on that to judge where fermentation was at, I'd still be waiting to bottle my first brew from LAST January. I just prefer it to the gladwrap method. The one brew I did try the gladwrap method on tasted like garbage, so I don't know if it got infected but it was nothing like what it should have tasted like. But it's pretty poor advice to new brewers to rely on the airlock as a means of monitoring where fermentation is at, or even if it's started. How many times do you see the question, "My airlock isn't bubbling, is the brew fermenting, have I done something wrong???" etc. etc. [pinched] [bandit]

I'd probably leave it for a few days just to be sure it's finished. You're only at day 5. Give it 10 days and check the gravity at day 9 and 10 to make sure it's stable. Normally most of us leave ale brews in the FV for two weeks before bottling but since it's your first one you're probably super eager to bottle it and taste it so I'd say 10 days, make sure it's finished fermenting and then bottle it.

FACT 1: Home brew kits come with airlocks & screw top lid fermenters because when in ferment' date=' they are the [u']BEST GUIDE[/u] to where your brew is at during primary fermentation

A big fat BOLLOX to that.. if that was the case you wouldnt need a Hydrometer so... NOT a FACT... inFACT an airlock can continue to bubble for some time after a brew has finished, all be it slower FACT

FACT 2: The percentage of actual contaminated brews experienced by home brewers is noticeably higher with those that adopt the glad wrap method, as opposed to those that use the airlock method.

Numbers Please... where have you gleaned this invaluable piece of dribble?

FACT 3: The replacement cost of the fermenter lid rim seal & the airlock rim seal over time is considerably lower than the cost of purchasing glad-wrap & rubber bands over the same period of time.

What period of time is that? Im still using the same one(s) I got years ago

How you approach that same end point of primary fermentation is completely up to you.

I will agree with this.

Im certain that you deliberately troll sometimes just because you have run out of useful things to contribute. [annoyed]

I would like to see some of these FACTS backed up with links, numbers, evidence..

[pinched] You've outdone yourself again Lusty. What a complete load of crap.

It is this drivel that you continue to roll out that really makes me not want to visit this once fine forum....I used to leave the forum with new knowledge and/or a smile on my face but you have singlehandedly made it a somewhat unpleasant place. I usually try to just ignore your posts but you always manage to push all the right buttons to get me pissed off.

I managed for so many years not to get pissed off at the internet but your trolling really gets my goat [pinched]....I guess it may make me a better person in the long run but for now my BS filters just can't handle the load.

Serenity now, serenity now..................

Lusty, do you need a breathalyser on your PC? [lol]

Seeing as your post was a little biased towards airlocks I will argue for the lack of airlocks...

FACT - I have 2 DIT kits and never had an infected batch of beer

FACT - I have never had a bottle explode

FACT - the hydrometer tells me where my brew is at in terms of fermentation. If I wanted to not "waste" beer I could by a refractometer which only uses a drop. ALSO, as the FV is see-through I can clearly see the krausen rising up, and when it's dropped down too - of course that's no indication of anything really, but it's pretty cool to see

I have made some really nice beers (and maybe 1 or 3 not-so nice) beers and haven't at any time thought "I wish I had an airlock"

Lusty, mate, I could understand you voicing your opinion if someone had started a thread asking for the pros and cons of both. But you have opened your own thread and intentionally started a topic which you are well aware will cause a s**tstorm.

Some people like airlocks, some like glad wrap. It has never even entered my mind to begin a debate on the topic, because I don't think there is much to be gained, as most people (such as yourself) already have their mind made up.

I remember reading that your NY resolution was to stop causing so much trouble. [unsure]

Please try and live up to that mate.

Peace.

EDIT: I try my best to be the least confrontational bloke out there, only jumping in when I have something positive to say. I hope this post doesn't reflect to poorly on my character. [crying]

Thanks for replies so far about the topic at hand guys. After all, that's why I started the thread, to invoke discussion on the subject. [innocent]

...but hearing the pros and cons from both sides' date=' does make us more informed and in a better position to make choices.[/quote']

Most people understand that, but some still prefer to attack the person, not the subject. I am now only interested in discussing brewing, & having a giggle on the forum. Anything outside of that, I'm no longer going to be engaging in.

I thought the Vegemite jar lid comment was in the spirit of "Lightening up".

Again, some choose to see it, some don't. [innocent]

Cheers,

Anthony.

Whoah, I think we all need to relax and have a home brew[rightful] , Muddy please don't leave us in frustration like some others have, we need your valuable input.

I have 2 coopers homebrew fermenters with the airlock and I use it only because its there, whether I need to or not. It seems as though Lusty is stirring the pot since he hasn't posted since his original stirry post. Relax and have a homebrew if you don't want to use an airlock DON'T if you find a sense of security in the airlock use it, what's the difference?

Whoah' date=' I think we all need to relax and have a home brew[rightful']

I'll let SWMBO know that Mark said it is OK to have a beer at 9:30 in the morning!!! [innocent] [cool]

go Wal...man of my own heart...swmbo is already onto hairy for suggesting vodka chasers lol Mark may as well be on the troublemakers list lol

Beerlust, you've probably brewed more beer than me. You certainly have more to say than me (more than 5 posts per day). Almost all of your posts do more harm than good. By posing as an expert (when you are very clearly not), my concern is that new brewers will see your comments as credible due to your large number of posts.

Please read How to Brew by John Palmer from cover to cover before offering any more advice.

I would stick to asking for, rather than giving advice until you have done so.

Thanks.

-Dylan

PS, not the best way to bring up my 100th post. Oh well, I've had enough.

Beerlust, you've probably brewed more beer than me. You certainly have more to say than me (more than 5 posts per day). Almost all of your posts do more harm than good.

By posing as an expert (when you are very clearly not), my concern is that new brewers will see your comments as credible due to your large number of posts.

Please read How to Brew by John Palmer from cover to cover before offering any more advice.

Thanks.

-Dylan

Iam in full support of your comments DylanI

Beerlust, you've probably brewed more beer than me. You certainly have more to say than me (more than 5 posts per day). Almost all of your posts do more harm than good. By posing as an expert (when you are very clearly not), my concern is that new brewers will see your comments as credible due to your large number of posts.

Thanks.

-Dylan

PS, not the best way to bring up my 100th post. Oh well, I've had enough.

Nice one, Dyl![cool]

Hey guys,

Lusty is just trying to activate some dialogue on this subject. He has an odd way of going about it[annoyed] . He is a Shite disturber. Just don't take him too seriously. I think it's rather funny myself.

In my brewery I have one FV with gladwrap, two with a lid and no airlock and five carboys all with airlocks. I doesn't make a lick of difference if you ask me. Check this episode of Brewing TV out if you think it's a real big deal on how one covers one's FV. Open Fermentation. I've not tried it but someday I will.

Lusty, STOP TRYING TO PICK FIGHTS ![roll] The difference between this PUB and most others is that someone is likely to take you outside to continue "discussing the matter" over a few knuckle sandwiches at the others. This one none of us can get a hand on you.[pouty]

Relax and have a homebrew if you don't want to use an airlock DON'T if you find a sense of security in the airlock use it' date=' what's the difference?[/quote']

There's nothing wrong with that. But to come out and say an airlock is the best guide to where fermentation is at is utter drivel. It's also bad advice to new brewers. It's all well and good to have a discussion on a subject but don't make stupid statements like this and try to pretend it's fact because the fact is, it isn't.

As I said, I like the security of the lid and airlock and it's the only reason I use one, nothing to do with monitoring fermentation progress. [bandit]

This is actually my first fv with an airlock...my other fv is a double batch plastic drum with srew on lid..so for years i just screwed it up, let it off and that was it....i enjoy using the airlock on the new one out of a sense of novelty and abit of fun with swmbo to tell her it may blow up lol. my first brew since being on here i posted a "what have i done wrong"......i see even coopers faq deals with the same question....i gather thats why the new fv doesnt have an airlock.....as Lord said it would...im warming to the sound of the airlock but im itching to get the new coopers fv soon. The airlock has a soothing sound to me now lol

Archived