Coopers Community

Kegging equipment?

On 5/20/2024 at 8:34 PM, Back Brewing said:

From first hand experience when your drinking pints and a mate is too and having a brew while doing other things a keg doesn't take long to blow

Tell me about it 😂

• Haha 3

@glivo you are probably better off taking the FG sample especially when using bottles.  It could just be the trube got stirred up a bit much though.

If you don't cold crash properly before kegging expect alot of keg sediment. 

As long as it tastes ok though that's all that matters.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

@glivo you are probably better off taking the FG sample especially when using bottles.  It could just be the trube got stirred up a bit much though.

If you don't cold crash properly before kegging expect alot of keg sediment. 

As long as it tastes ok though that's all that matters.

Nothing got stirred up, I can assure you and proper cold crashing is probably not an option for me in summer without building a cool room.  40 and 42'C days are pretty common in Australia where I live.

After nearly 40 years of home brewing, I find the need to do gravity testing a bit mundane and wasteful.  It has it's uses but really is over-rated when you do repetitive and predictable brewing.  Of course this comes with down sides, and changing over to kegs will present new considerations.

I'm not doing this in a temperature-controlled environment.  I have one but it doesn't fit my 60 litre FV or 5 or 6 30 X litre FVs at a time.  I am working in a tin shed and taking advantage of cold weather over the mid-year months to do stuff that likes cold fermentation or using the cold ambient to achieve exposure to cold when needed.  Ale yeast, keep warm and then allow to cool, and visa versa for Lager yeast.  In summer this is not an option but I'm lucky enough to live in a temperate region.  I know it isn't ideal, but it usually works when you keep an eye on it and know what you can expect.

• Like 1

@glivo no worries was only asking and trying to provide feedback about the extra keg and bottle sediment.

Do whatever works for you but sometimes even predictable brews can stall or something else goes wrong creating bottle bombs. I'm sure after 40 years you are aware of this and take the risk anyway.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

@glivo no worries was only asking and trying to provide feedback about the extra keg and bottle sediment.

Do whatever works for you but sometimes even predictable brews can stall or something else goes wrong creating bottle bombs. I'm sure after 40 years you are aware of this and take the risk anyway.

All good.  I do sometimes perform a gravity check immediately prior to bottling and taste it as well.  I also visually monitor the activity of brews, usually daily, so I notice if something doesn't look right.  In this instance I didn't and just assumed it was done.  It was a triple batch of Cooper's Lager, BE2 and supplied yeast double pitched so I had no reason to think it wasn't done after 10 - 11 days.  It was close if not finished, and having it in kegs early isn't risky, although I didn't expect it.  The 3 bottles are PET so again, not a safety issue.  I have checked my current ferment (ROTM Dark Mode Schwarzbier) gravity twice already, as I usually do with types I haven't brewed before until I get to know what to expect.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, scratching my head here.

This just came out of my Kolsch Beer Tap, at first glance it looked like an o-ring as I didn’t have my glasses on,  but they are round in appearance whereas this has a square edge. 
a) The beer poured fine. 🤷‍♂️

b) Checked the keg, everything intact. 🤷‍♂️

c) Checked the liquid & gas posts, all good. 🤷‍♂️

My only thought is an internal seal on the liquid post, but they are round in appearance,  also I have replaced all o-rings on my kegs earlier this year. 
Hmmm 🤨🤨🤨🤨

‘Once I drain the keg I will investigate further. 

IMG_5163.jpeg

• Confused 3
  • Sad 2

4 hours ago, Red devil 44 said:

This just came out of my Kolsch Beer Tap, at first glance it looked like an o-ring as I didn’t have my glasses on,  but they are round in appearance whereas this has a square edge. 

My only thought is an internal seal on the liquid post, but they are round in appearance,  also I have replaced all o-rings on my kegs earlier this year. 
Hmmm 🤨🤨🤨🤨

IMG_5163.jpeg

My guess is a seal from inside the tap.  Keep an eye on the tap.  Anything from inside the keg (eg dip tube seal or post seal) would have a hard time getting past the disconnect and post poppets.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

My guess is a seal from inside the tap.  Keep an eye on the tap.  Anything from inside the keg (eg dip tube seal or post seal) would have a hard time getting past the disconnect and post poppets.

@Shamus O'Sean, yeah I was thinking along the same lines mate, I might change the tap over as I have a spare.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Red devil 44 said:

Hmmm 🤨🤨🤨🤨

IMG_5163.jpeg

That size would have to come from here I reckon

20240604_111331.thumb.jpg.6c11dacd9d6e672babe9caefbc29449e.jpg

• Like 1

On 5/13/2024 at 1:42 PM, glivo said:

Does anybody know if, or where, the plastic 0.25" OD gas dip tube for Firestone kegs are available?  Is the only solution in Australia to buy an OD 5/16" tube and drill the spigot hole out from 1/4" to suite 5/16"?

A really late reply - however check these guys out:

https://www.easykegging.com.au/product-category/mytton-rodd-keg-parts/

I used them to overhaul my mytton rodd kegs a little while ago

3 hours ago, Red devil 44 said:

Possibly @Back Brewing, I’m just finishing trimming some palm trees then I will take the tap apart and have a look. 

Well I pulled the tap apart, no damage to any seals or o-rings.

Swapped it over for a reconditioned tap and will soak this and put new seals etc in it for a spare. 
‘Still scratching my head where it came from but normal festivities in the brew house have resumed. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, Red devil 44 said:

Well I pulled the tap apart, no damage to any seals or o-rings.

Swapped it over for a reconditioned tap and will soak this and put new seals etc in it for a spare. 
‘Still scratching my head where it came from but normal festivities in the brew house have resumed. 

Good to see you got it sorted RD.

• Like 1