Coopers Community

Hop combo's

Sounds like a powerful, fruity combo. Nectaron seems to be a bit of a super hop on its own, not that galaxy or amarillo are nothing to sniff at 🥁

I'm a big fan of Nelson Sauvin. I recently made a beer with that and Motueka together which paired nicely. I also have some Moutere in the freezer, which I'd like to combine with the other two someday soon. I reckon it might add a bit of dankness to the mix.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, ChairmanDrew said:

Sounds like a powerful, fruity combo. Nectaron seems to be a bit of a super hop on its own, not that galaxy or amarillo are nothing to sniff at 🥁

I'm a big fan of Nelson Sauvin. I recently made a beer with that and Motueka together which paired nicely. I also have some Moutere in the freezer, which I'd like to combine with the other two someday soon. I reckon it might add a bit of dankness to the mix.

I asked you what ratio you used and after I asked you, I found the beer I made in my Brewfather so disregard my question if it still comes up for you as quoted???🤣 It was a nice beer!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I'm just putting a brew on using my can of Mexican Cerveza that's been in the cupboard for a while. Gonna use what hops I have, so Wakatu 30 mins in the boil, and later will dry hop with Moutere/Green Bullet. Have no idea how this will come out, having never used these hops or the Cerveza before 🤞

• Like 3

16 hours ago, ChairmanDrew said:

I'm just putting a brew on using my can of Mexican Cerveza that's been in the cupboard for a while. Gonna use what hops I have, so Wakatu 30 mins in the boil, and later will dry hop with Moutere/Green Bullet. Have no idea how this will come out, having never used these hops or the Cerveza before 🤞

It's all about the experiment. You never know, you may find your perfect beer 🙂 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
On 5/26/2024 at 2:45 PM, Aussiekraut said:

It's all about the experiment. You never know, you may find your perfect beer 🙂 

I just had a taster from the fermenter while checking the gravity (fermentation is done). While I know it's not the greatest judge of how the finished product will taste, it gives a bit of a indication. Gotta say, I've never yet had a decent result adding extra boiled hops to pre-hopped can recipes. I suspect this won't be any different . Although I'm still yet to add the dry hop, which pretty much only ever improves things of this style.

On another note, just tried my latest variation on Nelson's Light (which itself is based off my own slight variation on the official recipe). This most recent one I substituted Moutere hops for Nelson Sauvin in the steep phase. While not bad, it is considerably more bitter and less fruity than the previous brew, more of a grapefruit quality than tropical fruits. Interesting to see how different hops work together.

Edited by ChairmanDrew
  • Like 5

19 hours ago, ChairmanDrew said:

I just had a taster from the fermenter while checking the gravity (fermentation is done). While I know it's not the greatest judge of how the finished product will taste, it gives a bit of a indication. Gotta say, I've never yet had a decent result adding extra boiled hops to pre-hopped can recipes. I suspect this won't be any different . Although I'm still yet to add the dry hop, which pretty much only ever improves things of this style.

On another note, just tried my latest variation on Nelson's Light (which itself is based off my own slight variation on the official recipe). This most recent one I substituted Moutere hops for Nelson Sauvin in the steep phase. While not bad, it is considerably more bitter and less fruity than the previous brew, more of a grapefruit quality than tropical fruits. Interesting to see how different hops work together.

The problem with using a pre-hopped can is that you never really know what hop has been used and in which quantities and what the schedules were. So any hop addition is a bit of a compromise. You could go and use two cans of LME and do all the hopping yourself though. It is more effort but gives you more flexibility and control over the beer. You can pick the malts you put in, be it single malts or blends. You control which hops and in which amounts at which time you put in and so on. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

The problem with using a pre-hopped can is that you never really know what hop has been used and in which quantities and what the schedules were. So any hop addition is a bit of a compromise. You could go and use two cans of LME and do all the hopping yourself though. It is more effort but gives you more flexibility and control over the beer. You can pick the malts you put in, be it single malts or blends. You control which hops and in which amounts at which time you put in and so on. 

Yeah, I've been starting to steer away from pre-hopped cans, but have a few that I picked up cheap to use. I have a can of Pale Ale that I want to make. Was looking through the recipes but all the interesting ones require extra boiled hops. A few of them just have a hop steep, so I could maybe try one of those, but even then from past experience I'm wary of what the results may be 😕

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, ChairmanDrew said:

Has anyone ever made any of these recipes; Coopers Pacific Pale Ale, Fruit Salad Ale, or Same Same But Similar Pale Ale and can vouch for them being.... good?

I did the Coopers Pacific Pale Ale back when it was originally called Coopers Session Ale.  It was a nice brew.  Not sure I did a side-by-side taste-test though.  I have not done the other two.  However, they sound good too.

Edited by Shamus O'Sean
  • Like 4

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, ChairmanDrew said:

Has anyone ever made any of these recipes; Coopers Pacific Pale Ale, Fruit Salad Ale, or Same Same But Similar Pale Ale and can vouch for them being.... good?

I have made this a while ago, it was great, especially in the keg. I noticed some of those links didn't open so I have attached this one.

https://www.diybeer.com/au/recipe/coopers-pacific-pale-ale.html

Edited by Classic Brewing Co
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, ChairmanDrew said:

Fruit Salad was one of my earliest brews. I remember it as being very good and would recommend. Definitely use some of the Coopers commercial yeast if you make it. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Popo the Reprobate said:

Fruit Salad was one of my earliest brews. I remember it as being very good and would recommend. Definitely use some of the Coopers commercial yeast if you make it. 

yep, did one as well. It was nice, had a strong rockmelon aroma

• Like 4