Coopers Community

Stone & Wood clone

Hi all.

I was checking out Soundawake's recipe for a Stone & Wood clone from 2013 (as per below) and I was just wondering if anyone can tell me if after adding the 500g of dry wheat malt at boil, do I then add the rest of the dry wheat malt at flame-out? Or are there any other suggestions or recommendations more experienced brewers would make?

Ingredients:         1x can Coopers liquid light malt; 1kg dry wheat malt; 300grams dex;

Directions:

- 5L hop boil with 500grams of the wheat malt

- 5g Galaxy @ 30 mins

- 15g galaxy @ 15 mins

- 15g galaxy @ 5 mins

- 15g galaxy @ 0 mins

- US05 yeast

- Made to 23 litres.

- Also 15 grams galaxy dry hopped on day 4-5.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beerb Alley said:

Hi all.

I was checking out Soundawake's recipe for a Stone & Wood clone from 2013 (as per below) and I was just wondering if anyone can tell me if after adding the 500g of dry wheat malt at boil, do I then add the rest of the dry wheat malt at flame-out? Or are there any other suggestions or recommendations more experienced brewers would make?

Ingredients:         1x can Coopers liquid light malt; 1kg dry wheat malt; 300grams dex;

Directions:

- 5L hop boil with 500grams of the wheat malt

- 5g Galaxy @ 30 mins

- 15g galaxy @ 15 mins

- 15g galaxy @ 5 mins

- 15g galaxy @ 0 mins

- US05 yeast

- Made to 23 litres.

- Also 15 grams galaxy dry hopped on day 4-5.

If you follow this thread it will answer your questions I have done the recipe in this thread and it was quite good but the other half of the wheat malt goes into the fermenter with the liquid malt 

https://homebrewandbeer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=10660

Edited by Back Brewing
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Beerb Alley said:

And so I imagine that the 300g dextrose is used to prime the bottles?

No, that is for the fermenter. You do not want to use 300g of dextrose as a primer for bottles. That would be an easy way to make bottle bombs. For a normal 23l batch, 180g as a bulk primer is plenty. 

• Like 2

You can use plain white sugar, I did when I was bottling at the rate of one standard teaspoon AUS = 4.1gms. The larger end of the sugar scoop is for Longneck 750ml bottles & the smallert end for Stubbys 375ml. The measures are available online or any LHBS. There are also others that have an extra spout for 330ml bottles. 

20210625_084206.thumb.jpg.6c3fcbb04993efe045ba7e345e4171f0.jpg

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Beerb Alley said:

I'll have to get me one of those. I am using 500ml Grolsch bottles so hopefully I can find a suitable scoop, although I can probably use the 750ml scoop at around 3/4.

Yeah, I used Grolsch bottles for years, in most standard brews one teaspoon/the larger scoop was OK, but you had to drink them early as they end up getting really foamy.

I used to knock a bit out of the scoop for heavy Ales & Stouts & those that had extra malt or grain additions.

The newer style Grolsch bottles are 450ml, so you need to find a sweet spot between that & 750ml.

STOUT 10 AUG 21.jpg

ama.jpg

FIRST AG BREW APA 17 04 2022.jpg

• Like 2

I brew an All Grain version of S&W that is pretty close to the real thing, I’ve posted on here before about it.

Tried the Morgan’s K&K of the S&W but I didn’t think it tasted close to the real bananas. 

• Like 1

On 4/5/2024 at 5:52 PM, Red devil 44 said:

I brew an All Grain version of S&W that is pretty close to the real thing, I’ve posted on here before about it.

Tried the Morgan’s K&K of the S&W but I didn’t think it tasted close to the real bananas. 

RD 44 @Red devil 44, do you have the link to that recipe mate?

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/5/2024 at 5:52 PM, Red devil 44 said:

I agree. I tried the Morgan's extract kit. Didn't taste like a S&W. Had another attempt and varied things slightly, used a different malt and upped the hops. Still didn't taste the same. So will try by making my own pacific ale from the coopers recipe, and up the dry hops to 100g each. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated too. Thanks 😄

1 hour ago, Tremond_moreland said:

I agree. I tried the Morgan's extract kit. Didn't taste like a S&W. Had another attempt and varied things slightly, used a different malt and upped the hops. Still didn't taste the same. So will try by making my own pacific ale from the coopers recipe, and up the dry hops to 100g each. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated too. Thanks 😄

Agreed, that Coopers Pacific Ale was a winner for me back in my K&K days, my dad also loved it.  Nowadays I brew my own AG take on this recipe and still love it.

So, if I was to recommend a S&W recipe then do the Coopers Pacific Summer Ale if you can get the summer hops and or the Coopers Pacific Ale if you cannot get the summer hops but can get the Galaxy hops easily, for a K&K brewer you can then tweak it from there to suit your tastes.  Both good beers IMO, have done several batches.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

Agreed, that Coopers Pacific Ale was a winner for me back in my K&K days, my dad also loved it.  Nowadays I brew my own AG take on this recipe and still love it.

So, if I was to recommend a S&W recipe then do the Coopers Pacific Summer Ale if you can get the summer hops and or the Coopers Pacific Ale if you cannot get the summer hops but can get the Galaxy hops easily, for a K&K brewer you can then tweak it from there to suit your tastes.  Both good beers IMO, have done several batches.

Ahh. Thanks so much, I will definitely give it a try. I know I can't find the Summer hops, so will try a substitute.