Coopers Community

Any luck on THE CUP?

Malter White

The first Tuesday in November is almost like Christmas to me....except I usually don't get much joy financially. This year was no exception.
I'm hoping some of my fellow forum members had some luck.
I refuse to adhere to the gamble responsibly ethos. I'm a go getter! Winners never quit, quitters never win.🤣

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, Malter White said:

The first Tuesday in November is almost like Christmas to me....except I usually don't get much joy financially. This year was no exception.
I refuse to adhere to the gamble responsibly ethos. I'm a go getter! Winners never quit, quitters never win.🤣

My mate was at the races today & he was here for dinner with a few others & showed me his winning ticket for the trifecta, he won $2,400.00& a few smaller wins.

I don't bet, never have but I am thinking he has been reimbursed for his years of betting & losses.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

My mate was at the races today & he was here for dinner with a few others & showed me his winning ticket for the trifecta, he won $2,400.00& a few smaller wins.

I don't bet, never have but I am thinking he has been reimbursed for his years of betting & losses.

I'm glad he got a windfall. Trifecta paid $12K so a 20% pay out is still great.
If he's a regular punter I doubt he'd be reimbursed but $2400 will keep him going for a while longer.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Malter White said:

I am not a racehorse punter, but from my perspective the Melbourne Cup would have to be the hardest race in Australia to pick a winner, is that a correct observation @Malter White ?

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Malter White said:

I'm glad he got a windfall. Trifecta paid $12K so a 20% pay out is still great.
If he's a regular punter I doubt he'd be reimbursed but $2400 will keep him going for a while longer.

Yeah, he did say it was 20%. This guy works for Ryan Balfour Racing at the Racecourse/Stables & gets a few insiders, also very tinny.

He will live it up for a week or two then get hungry to place larger bets & then it starts all over again. 🏇

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, kmar92 said:

I am not a racehorse punter, but from my perspective the Melbourne Cup would have to be the hardest race in Australia to pick a winner, is that a correct observation @Malter White ?

Absolutely correct. It's a lottery really. With so many horses from overseas running it's too hard to align form. Some of these OS horses are superstars but many of them struggle to handle our firmer tracks and warmer weather.
I usually take a trifecta. A big prize pool, so it usually pays well.....apart from the one year I actually got it. 1992 I spent $105 and got $110 back. Hahahaaa. All the favourites ran 1, 2, 3.🤦‍♂️
However, I still love Melbourne Cup day as an event. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Malter White said:

Absolutely correct. It's a lottery really. With so many horses from overseas running it's too hard to align form. Some of these OS horses are superstars but many of them struggle to handle our firmer tracks and warmer weather.
I usually take a trifecta. A big prize pool, so it usually pays well.....apart from the one year I actually got it. 1992 I spent $105 and got $110 back. Hahahaaa. All the favourites ran 1, 2, 3.🤦‍♂️
However, I still love Melbourne Cup day as an event. 

I love it for the Filly's, the 2-legged kind. 😉

• Haha 2

never had a bet  on the cup    well i forgot to place a few bets   but would i have picked the winner , probably not 

i was driving back from mt gambier  when the race was on and heard most of the race except the last 100m  where i was in drop out zone grrr

but good win by "without a fight"   

arrgh well  always next year

• Like 3

I've lost interest in The Cup over the years and barely even considered having a bet this year.

Many years ago I got a tip from my brother (the only tip he's ever given me even though he's an avid punter). I turned up to the PubTAB to place my bet only to find out that they'd changed the start time (it had been 3.40pm for decades) and the race had already been run. I can't remember the name of the horse but it got up, of course.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Kegory said:

I've lost interest in The Cup over the years and barely even considered having a bet this year.

Many years ago I got a tip from my brother (the only tip he's ever given me even though he's an avid punter). I turned up to the PubTAB to place my bet only to find out that they'd changed the start time (it had been 3.40pm for decades) and the race had already been run. I can't remember the name of the horse but it got up, of course.

It was American. Nice odds, too, around 20/1 IIRC

• Like 2