Coopers Community

Digiboil

John304

26 minutes ago, John304 said:

My old urn is nearing the end of its life, I am thinking about replacing it with a Kegland Digiboil 35ltr. Has anyone used one of these or can recommend them, don’t want to get a Brewzilla at this stage,

cheers

john

I used one for several years as a sparge tank and not once had any issues with it. 

• Like 1

@John304

3 hours ago, John304 said:

My old urn is nearing the end of its life, I am thinking about replacing it with a Kegland Digiboil 35ltr. Has anyone used one of these or can recommend them, don’t want to get a Brewzilla at this stage,

cheers

john

i like to throw a spanner in the works here  in your thoughts , becuase you can kill 2 birds with the 1 stone  here .

now you can purchase the new gen4 brewzilla for $605  that will future proof you for some time and can still do brew in a bag with this system  and will save you time in the future  of spending more money on a all in one vessel  .  perfect setup really as its just a glorified  digiboil   but has  the rolls royce of stuff  and be part of the rapt ecosystem

or for $350  you can get the brewzilla 3.1.1 this pretty good setup this is the same thing as the gen 4 except a few features   however still makes great beer for the champions.  you just dont really have  the full benifits of the gen4  rapt ecosystem.   however still you can do in brew in a bag quite easily  the only difference is you have everything to get yourself started with all grain in all in one system

Sure  $150 dollars for an digiboil is good value and is great for brew in a bag ,  but the downside of it all your not all in one vessel ready yet  if you want to take the leap if you get ready

personelly if i wasnt ready but wanted to get to the next level at some stage i would most likely  go an all in one vessel straight away and use the brewzilla  is a biab system like you.

look  dont get me wrong the digiboil is very good unit  and its basicly the shell of a brewzilla 3.1.1   the only difference is no recirc arm  with pump and the control board is different

give yourself some thought  on this subject    think not only for now but where you want to be  in year or 2 time 

why not have the best of both worlds   of biab  and going a all in one vessal at the same time which can save you dollars down the road

Ozdevil

• Like 7

5 hours ago, John304 said:

cheers

john

I use a digiboil for the entire process mate and have had it for about 2years it works great! I bought the grain basket separately and false bottom thought about adding a pump but haven’t bothered! Easy to clean etc can’t fault it! 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RDT2 said:

I use a digiboil for the entire process mate and have had it for about 2years it works great! I bought the grain basket separately and false bottom thought about adding a pump but haven’t bothered! Easy to clean etc can’t fault it! 

Any pics how the system works? Has the digiboil got the lugs that the grain basket sits on when you lift it to drain it?

Edited by Back Brewing

1 hour ago, Back Brewing said:

Any pics how the system works? Has the digiboil got the lugs that the grain basket sits on when you lift it to drain it?

You can just buy the metal insert as pictured and fits just below the lip like the brewzilla!

IMG_6044.jpeg

• Like 2

11 hours ago, RDT2 said:

You can just buy the metal insert as pictured and fits just below the lip like the brewzilla!

IMG_6044.jpeg

Thanks for the pic I reckon it's a good budget system to get into all grain in one of your posts you said you didn't worry about a pump.

I found a clip with a guy using basically the same set-up and how he does recirculation about 1.30 minutes into the clip and as you said cleaning up would be pretty easy. 

Sometimes less is more and the more you've got the more can go wrong or fail.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Back Brewing said:

Thanks for the pic I reckon it's a good budget system to get into all grain in one of your posts you said you didn't worry about a pump.

I found a clip with a guy using basically the same set-up and how he does recirculation about 1.30 minutes into the clip and as you said cleaning up would be pretty easy. 

Sometimes less is more and the more you've got the more can go wrong or fail.

Yeah mate it’s an easy brew day with it easy to clean etc and I still get pretty good efficiency my only complaint would be when whirlpooling the pump would be handy but I just give it a stir every minute or so. I don’t have a malt pipe either I went to a bolt shop and bought a bolt to replace it with. I think it would of set me back 250 in the end and then 2 days later the home brew store put the brewzilla v3 on special for 310🤦‍♂️🤣 but I am happy with it made some awesome beer with it! I would recommend anyone that does actual brew in a bag to ditch the bag and get the grain basket so easy to clean instead of the bag!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RDT2 said:

Yeah mate it’s an easy brew day with it easy to clean etc and I still get pretty good efficiency my only complaint would be when whirlpooling the pump would be handy but I just give it a stir every minute or so. I don’t have a malt pipe either I went to a bolt shop and bought a bolt to replace it with. I think it would of set me back 250 in the end and then 2 days later the home brew store put the brewzilla v3 on special for 310🤦‍♂️🤣 but I am happy with it made some awesome beer with it! I would recommend anyone that does actual brew in a bag to ditch the bag and get the grain basket so easy to clean instead of the bag!

The bolt? I've ooked at the upgrade where does it go?

8 hours ago, RDT2 said:

I didn't understand about the bolt so I rang Kegland and they said you must have the bottom plate for a Brewzilla. As when he looked at the mash upgrade it doesn't have the hole in the bottom plate

I had a good chat with him and after watching the YouTube video I reckon that's the way I'll go nice and straight forward

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Back Brewing said:

I didn't understand about the bolt so I rang Kegland and they said you must have the bottom plate for a Brewzilla. As when he looked at the mash upgrade it doesn't have the hole in the bottom plate

I had a good chat with him and after watching the YouTube video I reckon that's the way I'll go nice and straight forward

They would be spot on! That’s good they have thought about people going down the digiboil path! I am in WA so no where near keg land but it is just what my local home brew store came up with about 2 years ago and I had to get a bolt which works well for a handle.  Like I said I am happy with how it works so I am sure you will be as well! I have made nearly every style of beer with it although efficiency goes down with the bigger beers like any system! Wish I had bought the digiboil earlier as I had a gas burner and a brew tech pot prior to this it was annoying as you were watching it all the time in case the gas went out but electric is so easy you can do other things during the boil and while heating the water! Good luck mate and hope it works out which it will especially when you are making nice fresh ag brews with coopers malt of course!

Edited by RDT2
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, RDT2 said:

They would be spot on! That’s good they have thought about people going down the digiboil path! I am in WA so no where near keg land but it is just what my local home brew store came up with about 2 years ago and I had to get a bolt which works well for a handle.  Like I said I am happy with how it works so I am sure you will be as well! I have made nearly every style of beer with it although efficiency goes down with the bigger beers like any system! Wish I had bought the digiboil earlier as I had a gas burner and a brew tech pot prior to this it was annoying as you were watching it all the time in case the gas went out but electric is so easy you can do other things during the boil and while heating the water! Good luck mate and hope it works out which it will especially when you are making nice fresh ag brews with coopers malt of course!

In the BrewZilla there is also an option to buy a Pro Screen, this means there is no need to use the overflow pipe & you can do away with the re-circ unit as well.

In mine all I have is the false bottom & the pro screen & it leaves the vessel to free to mash in without hitting all of the other bits.

It is much easier & I never have any lumps or any trouble with the brews.

https://www.kegland.com.au/products/brewzilla-35l-pro-series-bottom-screen-for-malt-pipe-no-hole

BrewZilla 65L Gen3.1 - Pro Series Bottom Screen for Malt Pipe (No Hole ...

• Like 4

I still have a Digiboil, started of doing BIAB with it, good unit for the price & made great beers. Thinking of doing another BIAB for something different. 

‘I have a Grainfather now but still use my Digiboil as a HLT, would be about 3 yrs old now but still going strong. 
‘They are a good solid unit and a cheaper way to get into All Grain brewing. 

• Like 3