Coopers Community

Insulating Coopers FV

ThinBilly

Hi friends. I've been using an awkward assortment of rectangular shaped blankets to try and keep my cylindrical DIY beer FV insulated during the cold Melbourne months.

This is not helped by the construction of my 1970s rental apparently being cardboard and poor workmanship so it's usually the same temperature indoors as outdoors. Medieval wattle and daub buildings are better insulated than this!

I have an inkbird temperature controller and a heat belt which do an excellent job at regulating the temperature, but I would like a better fitting insulating layer. I've had a look online and haven't found anything specifically that will fit these, does anyone have any suggestions?

Many thanks

Edited by ThinBilly

18 minutes ago, ThinBilly said:

Hi friends. I've been using an awkward assortment of rectangular shaped blankets to try and keep my cylindrical DIY beer FV insulated during the cold Melbourne months.

This is not helped by the construction of my 1970s rental apparently being cardboard and poor workmanship so it's usually the same temperature indoors as outdoors. Medieval wattle and daub buildings are better insulated than this!

I have an inkbird temperature controller and a heat belt which do an excellent job at regulating the temperature, but I would like a better fitting insulating layer. I've had a look online and haven't found anything specifically that will fit these, does anyone have any suggestions?

Many thanks

I have used those car windscreen protectors; one side is insulated with foil & you can use heavy tape to shape them around the FV. They seem to work well, you can also use blankets as well for added warmth.

Thickening-Windshield-Sunshade-Car-Cover-Windscreen-Window-Sun-UV-Rays-Protector-Visor-Covers-Auto-Exterior-Accessories.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ThinBilly said:

Many thanks

My brewery in the sunroom is less protected from the ambient temperatures than the rest of the house.

I've found using two heatbelts on the Inkbird and covering the fermenter with a cardboard box to be quite effective.

IMG_20230508_165750058.thumb.jpg.26ff8452cdddb644f0dbb05be8572a0a.jpg

IMG_20230517_213838942.thumb.jpg.9bb9369534e728cb7f954816443af888.jpg

• Like 3

Before I picked up a cheap fridge, I built a box out of three-ply, lined with insulation, (all scraps form around the shed). It worked well, sort of.

But I have to say the $50 fridge and an Inkbird was the best thing I did for brewing!

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I have used those car windscreen protectors; one side is insulated with foil & you can use heavy tape to shape them around the FV. They seem to work well, you can also use blankets as well for added warmth.

Thickening-Windshield-Sunshade-Car-Cover-Windscreen-Window-Sun-UV-Rays-Protector-Visor-Covers-Auto-Exterior-Accessories.jpg

What he said.

7 hours ago, ThinBilly said:

Many thanks

As Beachlife aka Ben10 said look for a second hand/free fridge. I use a $50 bar fridge with Inkbird. 

1 hour ago, Hilltop hops said:

As Beachlife aka Ben10 said look for a second hand/free fridge. I use a $50 bar fridge with Inkbird. 

Yes  old fridge is best, but he has a fairly urgent need. So  blanket or windscreen protector is probably best short term solution. 

10 hours ago, ThinBilly said:

Many thanks

I got lucky and found 2 cardboard cartons that nest over the fermenter.  Combined with the thermostat heat source it keeps spot on temperature in a tin shed.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Popo the Degenerate said:

download.jpeg.8211195b112b00fb24099db04ccc00e2.jpeg

Cool Brewing Bags. Have not used them, so can't vouch for them. One of our members a while back used one. 

They are pretty good, this model costs $135.00 + shipping but a LBHS in Adelaide sells a different brand for $99.00. 

I used it a few times but ended up selling it for what I paid for it as I acquired an extra fridge.

The size is as follows.

Cool Brewing's Fermentation Cooler is designed specifically to accommodate standard 30 litre fermenter. You freeze a 2 litre soda bottle with water, or similar, and place in the fermentation bag with your fermenting carboy.

Brewerschoice.net.au

Edited by Classic Brewing Co
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Popo the Degenerate said:

download.jpeg.8211195b112b00fb24099db04ccc00e2.jpeg

Cool Brewing Bags. Have not used them, so can't vouch for them. One of our members a while back used one. 

I use one, but for cooling, a 2 litre  milk bottle filled with water , into the freezer and it brings the temperature down by about 2 degrees. In winter I change the bottle in the morning for a steady 13/14 degrees. In summer I used 2 or even three bottles at a time, swapping them before and after work. It works alright for me , as I don't have space for a fridge. Never thought of using it to warm, as I am worried that the heat belt will touch the side of the bag and slowly damage it.

• Like 1

I'm trying to Brew a lager. I was prepared for the cold nights but I hadn't anticipated the unseasonally warm days. If that wasn't enough the electricity company have informed me that I can look forward to five power outages in the next two weeks as they conduct maintenance works.

So, the FV has two heatbelts plus a wet towel and a fan but I've had to add a heating pad underneath the tub to try to give greater temperature stability when the power goes off.

IMG_20230730_121204012.thumb.jpg.e29916ef4d7d3e8dab3a58f01a950c19.jpg

Wish me luck.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Thanks everyone for the super helpful suggestions. It's much appreciated.

I would absolutely love to incorporate an old fridge or freezer into my setup, but since I'm renting a tiny unit there isn't the space at the moment. One day....

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, ThinBilly said:

I would absolutely love to incorporate an old fridge or freezer into my setup, but since I'm renting a tiny unit there isn't the space at the moment. One day....

Kegland have some fermenter jackets/covers. @Stickers may be able to tell you more about them, or you could check out their website.

12 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Secondhand fridges are available everywhere - 2nd hand shops, Garage sales, Op shops, Scumbook & Gumtree, just get one & your brewing experiences will be so much better.

Just do it.

No room for a fridge.

• Like 1

On 7/30/2023 at 1:22 PM, ThinBilly said:

IMG_1032.thumb.jpg.87b41d41367b426833d4058801bb8fb3.jpg

this is the brew igloo jacket from kegland @Kegory mentions (large cat used to illustrate scale), wraps around a fermenter quite easily, then zip it up. good quality, i'm really happy with it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Thanks for the pic @Stickers. Also thanks to your cat for the scale illustration 😄.

Is this the "FermZilla - 27L Conical Jacket & All Rounder 60L Jacket (2 in 1)" jacket?

I'm just using the Coopers DIY beer FV, so I don't want a jacket with a hole in the top, which it looks like the kegland ones all do? (for the lid and valves). Is yours like this?

• Like 2

17 hours ago, ThinBilly said:

Thanks for the pic @Stickers. Also thanks to your cat for the scale illustration 😄.

Is this the "FermZilla - 27L Conical Jacket & All Rounder 60L Jacket (2 in 1)" jacket?

I'm just using the Coopers DIY beer FV, so I don't want a jacket with a hole in the top, which it looks like the kegland ones all do? (for the lid and valves). Is yours like this?

Thanks @ThinBilly - it is indeed the 27L Conical jacket. I use the same Cooper's DIY FV (no airlock) and its easy to drape a towel or similar over the hole too.

• Like 2