Coopers Community

Keezer Renovations

Red devil 44

13 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Thats awesome RD, I need something like that but not as elaborate, I am definitely no tradie. 

There’s hardly any room inside the keezer to mount it, just snuck it in, although makes changing kegs more difficult now.

‘Im actually thinking of converting my 520L all fridge to a keezer and mount taps on the front, makes changing kegs easier and more room for extra gear.

‘Then I’ll modify my chest freezer (which is the keezer currently) into a fermentation chamber as I will be able to ferment 3 brews at once 🧐🧐

• Like 4

Further update to my keezer renovations by using my all fridge instead of my chest freezer (currently used as a keezer)
I have a 520L all fridge, so have worked out I can hold 3 kegs each on 2 levels, making it a 6 tap Kegerator, as I have more than enough room. 
No problems with kegs as I have 15, probably too many but when I bought a heap a few years back i repaired & sanitised them, too good to knock back. 
The thought process continues, main key is saving my back as I have had trouble in the past, and being only 53 I need to look after it as the last back strain was painful and a wake up call I’m not as strong as I used to be. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Red devil 44 said:

Further update to my keezer renovations by using my all fridge instead of my chest freezer (currently used as a keezer)
I have a 520L all fridge, so have worked out I can hold 3 kegs each on 2 levels, making it a 6 tap Kegerator, as I have more than enough room. 
No problems with kegs as I have 15, probably too many but when I bought a heap a few years back i repaired & sanitised them, too good to knock back. 
The thought process continues, main key is saving my back as I have had trouble in the past, and being only 53 I need to look after it as the last back strain was painful and a wake up call I’m not as strong as I used to be. 

The bottom level might be a challenge moving forward.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Red devil 44 said:

@Shamus O'SeanWhat would be the challenge on the bottom level mate ?

I recall you have mentioned issues with your back. I am not too bad, back-wise, but I still have to be careful.

The lower level would be like loading kegs into a Kegland/Keg King type kegerator.  It can be awkward to get the kegs into the back of a low kegerator.  I have to squat or go on my knees.  Not ideal angles for somebody with back issues.  That is all I was suggesting.

• Like 1

On 2/25/2023 at 10:03 PM, Shamus O'Sean said:

I recall you have mentioned issues with your back. I am not too bad, back-wise, but I still have to be careful.

The lower level would be like loading kegs into a Kegland/Keg King type kegerator.  It can be awkward to get the kegs into the back of a low kegerator.  I have to squat or go on my knees.  Not ideal angles for somebody with back issues.  That is all I was suggesting.

@Shamus O'Sean, no worries mate, and I do appreciate your assistance in helping, more than appreciated, all ideas welcome.

i have a trolley to wheel my kegs around, it’s there is some grunt work involved lifting kegs, I have the portable crane but only extends so far.

Thats why I’m thinking on the fridge version, maybe easier for me in the long run.

‘I am a bad patient and when I tweaked my back my wife (who is a ex nurse looked after me) she was saying I was soft  after a while 😂😂

The tweak did scare me and made me think of other options for brewing, so the think tank has been in operation, that’s what I do I guess.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

That is true, it is a pain in the neck at times. I sit on a chair when shuffling kegs around 🙂 I still have to bend and reach but it is better than crouching down. My back is shot but I didn't have any dramas doing it that way. It's harder to lift full kegs in an out of the lager keezer. 

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

That is true, it is a pain in the neck at times. I sit on a chair when shuffling kegs around 🙂 I still have to bend and reach but it is better than crouching down. My back is shot but I didn't have any dramas doing it that way. It's harder to lift full kegs in an out of the lager keezer. 

I have the opposite; I have to lift them up into a large fridge but able to cart them around on a floor trolley, it still beats the bejesus out of going to the local swill house.

• Haha 3

On 2/22/2023 at 4:38 PM, Red devil 44 said:

There’s hardly any room inside the keezer to mount it, just snuck it in, although makes changing kegs more difficult now.

‘Im actually thinking of converting my 520L all fridge to a keezer and mount taps on the front, makes changing kegs easier and more room for extra gear.

‘Then I’ll modify my chest freezer (which is the keezer currently) into a fermentation chamber as I will be able to ferment 3 brews at once 🧐🧐

When you say, "chest freezer," does that mean the door is on top? How do you intend to get FVs in and out without risking injury?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Malter White said:

When you say, "chest freezer," does that mean the door is on top? How do you intend to get FVs in and out without risking injury?

Hi @Malter White, yes the lid is on top of the chest freezer.

I am saving the new in-line regulator board I have made and will use it when I convert the 520L all fridge.

‘Currently I change kegs in the chest freezer via a small crane I have hooked up above it.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

I have a similar issue with the keggerator sitting on the ground. I often have to roll them around little bits at a time in there to move rather than push or pull.

I also have a Kegerator but I only store 2 kegs in there, even though it can fit 3 but it’s a tight squeeze and hard to move lines around, I also use a small step to sit on so don’t have to bend over too much. I’m happy with the 2 kegs in there and I have 2 taps. 
‘The keezer has 4 taps but I can fit 5 kegs in there so I can chill down and leave on serving pressure whilst I drink the others, or can fast ferment on high pressure as I have the dual stage Regulator and 2 manifolds, one low pressure & the other high pressure so have the option either way. 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Red devil 44 said:

I also have a Kegerator but I only store 2 kegs in there, even though it can fit 3 but it’s a tight squeeze and hard to move lines around, I also use a small step to sit on so don’t have to bend over too much. I’m happy with the 2 kegs in there and I have 2 taps. 
‘The keezer has 4 taps but I can fit 5 kegs in there so I can chill down and leave on serving pressure whilst I drink the others, or can fast ferment on high pressure as I have the dual stage Regulator and 2 manifolds, one low pressure & the other high pressure so have the option either way. 

I'm a bit the same with my series x that holds 4 kegs. It's easier to manage everything with 3 kegs. 2 at the back and one in between them at front leaving more room to close the door.

@Mickep I'm not much of a handy man so can't help you with building anything. Surprised you did not get @iBooz2 around to build it for you. I'm surprised he has not got thousand litre brewing systems and a dozen taps coming out of the wall.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Mickep said:

Hey RD @Red devil 44 I'm trying to put two SS Nuka taps on a fridge door. Do you know what shank with the duotight connection I could use for that? That would sit flush with the flat surface of the door. Unlike the kegland shank made for the SS circular tap tower.

https://www.kegland.com.au/100mm-stainless-long-shank-w-duotight-push-in.html

100mm Intertap Long Shank - 304 Stainless Steel (duotight - 8mm (5/16) x 5/8inch Female)

is that what ya looking for @Mickep

• Thanks 1