Coopers Community

Neipa with Kveik?

Cheap Charlie

Hi all,

I am looking at firing up a second fermenter to keep up with demand 🙄, unfortunately in Bris Vegas it's too warm (I feel) to ferment with my usual US-05 or CCA outside of a fridge. I am looking for some good recipes along the lines of a neipa or hazy IPA with tropical aromas/flavours. I'm doing a 'pacific ale' style at the moment, but was wondering on opinions on using kveik yeast for these brews. We are having (imo) a colder summer here and tempertures are ranging between 25º at night to roughly 30º during the day in the house, the other day it was reasonably warm at 35º.  Reading about Kveik, it looks like a match made in beer heaven. My understanding is that the yeast brings out those tropical/citrus type esters at 35º+.

Any experiences with doing this style, and any advice or other yeast recommendations are welcome.

TIA CC

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Cheap Charlie said:

Hi all,

I am looking at firing up a second fermenter to keep up with demand 🙄, unfortunately in Bris Vegas it's too warm (I feel) to ferment with my usual US-05 or CCA outside of a fridge. I am looking for some good recipes along the lines of a neipa or hazy IPA with tropical aromas/flavours. I'm doing a 'pacific ale' style at the moment, but was wondering on opinions on using kveik yeast for these brews. We are having (imo) a colder summer here and tempertures are ranging between 25º at night to roughly 30º during the day in the house, the other day it was reasonably warm at 35º.  Reading about Kveik, it looks like a match made in beer heaven. My understanding is that the yeast brings out those tropical/citrus type esters at 35º+.

Any experiences with doing this style, and any advice or other yeast recommendations are welcome.

TIA CC

I say go for it, it is a great yeast, you can get it up to 35c & it loves it.

• Like 2

In my experience @Mickep Voss Kviek does not result in huge krausens. I recently fermented an AG Coopers XPA clone @ 35° and the krausen didn't really get much higher than about 25mm. Also being such a fast fermenter the krausen subsides fairly quickly as well.

Voss Kviek is definitely not in the same class as Munich Classic and I wouldn't think that the krausen collar would be necessary..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, kmar92 said:

In my experience @Mickep Voss Kviek does not result in huge krausens. I recently fermented an AG Coopers XPA clone @ 35° and the krausen didn't really get much higher than about 25mm. Also being such a fast fermenter the krausen subsides fairly quickly as well.

Voss Kviek is definitely not in the same class as Munich Classic and I wouldn't think that the krausen collar would be necessary..

I agree, I don't even bother with the collar & I have had some big krausens.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, kmar92 said:

Thanks K, appreciate the info mate and the heads up- My first time using Munich in the Hefe wheat beer the other day and it's a thing to be sure....almost jumped outta the coopers FV. Lesson learned. 😂

• Like 2

5 hours ago, kmar92 said:

you have been fortunate , are your brews been done under pressure   or aloud to ferment quite natural

i think pressure fermenting is not as bad as  brewing in a normal vessel  without pressure fermenting

i have seen overflows  on quite few occasions   using fvs that aren't under pressure

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, ozdevil said:

you have been fortunate , are your brews been done under pressure   or aloud to ferment quite natural

i think pressure fermenting is not as bad as  brewing in a normal vessel  without pressure fermenting

i have seen overflows  on quite few occasions   using fvs that aren't under pressure

I have done both ways @ozdevil, but the most recent Kviek ferment was the Coopers XPA clone that was fermented in a standard Coopers FV.

On 1/10/2023 at 4:57 PM, beach_life said:

I'd use a saison yeast myself, much better prospect. I find Kveik overrated and odd flavoured.
Lallemand Farmhouse is very good and neutral.

I did for a long time brew without temp control. >> 

Some interesting ideas in that thread, thanks for posting 👍🏻