Coopers Community

Just started brewing, questions for refining the process

NBillett09

Hi everyone, I just started my first brew after thinking and watching for a long time. Opportunity finally presented itself to start, and I am super excited to get going! I have started my first brew with the coopers craft brew kit and the bewitched amber ale, but I was excited so bought the Mr Beer Golden Ale extract also to follow as second batch.

I followed the written instructions exactly, washed equipment with warm/hot water (47 deg), warmed extract, poured it in FV, poured water in and topped up to 8.5 adjusting to approx 22-23 deg, sprinkled the yeast evenly over the top then clipped the lid on. I did not stir anything just added malt-water-yeast. I can see that the malt is just sitting in a layer at the bottom with water on top. After day 2 there is a thin layer of foam on top so it seems to be doing something at least. It’s in a room that’s AC controlled 24/7 to 21-22 deg and the brew has stayed at that for the last 3 days.

I had a few questions about details/refining the process for next batch.

-Should the malt extract and water be stirred and mixed before yeast goes in? Does it make a difference to even distribution for fermenting? Written instructions didn’t say stir, but the video guide said to stir.

-If not does it make a difference whether water or malt goes in FV first?

-Would it adversely affect the final product to add more water to the FV to end up with more beer at the end? 

-There is no sunlight in this room, only artificial light. Does this affect the fermentation? Should it still be kept under a blanket say in the dark?

-between the instructions, the video guide and reading through forum posts, I gather ales like 21 deg, if cooler they slow down fermentation and if warmer then fermentation speeds up. Would fermenting at say 23 achieve the result faster or does it go off instead?

Alas my excitement sometimes gets the better of me and causes impatience 😅 case in point I already bought more PET bottles and the 23L kit to get it going along side the 8.5L 😂 I want ALL the beers brewing now!

Tl;Dr she’ll be right or nah?

7B772360-BC57-46C2-89D5-07F5C75F60AC.jpeg

6ECAEA71-ADB7-432A-B756-D913EBAFBCAF.jpeg

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, NBillett09 said:

-Should the malt extract and water be stirred and mixed before yeast goes in? Does it make a difference to even distribution for fermenting? Written instructions didn’t say stir, but the video guide said to stir.

-Would it adversely affect the final product to add more water to the FV to end up with more beer at the end? 

-There is no sunlight in this room, only artificial light. Does this affect the fermentation? Should it still be kept under a blanket say in the dark?

-between the instructions, the video guide and reading through forum posts, I gather ales like 21 deg, if cooler they slow down fermentation and if warmer then fermentation speeds up. Would fermenting at say 23 achieve the result faster or does it go off instead?

i think you'll be right. these are only my thoughts of course, but in answer

1) yeast last. i don't stir it in myself, just sprinkle over the wort

2) i put water in before adding the malt to avoid clumping more than anything. that being said i've never actually tried putting the malts in first

3) weaker beer

4) you'll be right. i brew mine in a similar light and they seem to go alright

5) i'll let others answer any temperature range questions..

good luck with your first and welcome to the forum 🙂

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, NBillett09 said:

Hi everyone, I just started my first brew after thinking and watching for a long time. Opportunity finally presented itself to start, and I am super excited to get going! I have started my first brew with the coopers craft brew kit and the bewitched amber ale, but I was excited so bought the Mr Beer Golden Ale extract also to follow as second batch.

I followed the written instructions exactly, washed equipment with warm/hot water (47 deg), warmed extract, poured it in FV, poured water in and topped up to 8.5 adjusting to approx 22-23 deg, sprinkled the yeast evenly over the top then clipped the lid on. I did not stir anything just added malt-water-yeast. I can see that the malt is just sitting in a layer at the bottom with water on top. After day 2 there is a thin layer of foam on top so it seems to be doing something at least. It’s in a room that’s AC controlled 24/7 to 21-22 deg and the brew has stayed at that for the last 3 days.

Alas my excitement sometimes gets the better of me and causes impatience 😅 case in point I already bought more PET bottles and the 23L kit to get it going along side the 8.5L 😂 I want ALL the beers brewing now!

7B772360-BC57-46C2-89D5-07F5C75F60AC.jpeg

6ECAEA71-ADB7-432A-B756-D913EBAFBCAF.jpeg

Hi @NBillett09 Welcome to the forum & the world of Home Brewing.

1.The best brewing temperature for an Ale would be 18-20c. There are exceptions of course but that depends on what yeast you are using, if you used the suppled yeast, all good.

2. Yes, you have to mix the tin of extract thoroughly before you add the yeast, it is not essential to stir after you add the yeast.

3. You should take a hydrometer reading before step 2, SG - starting gravity.

4. I personally put the extract in first & keep rinsing the can with hot water until you have cleaned up the can nicely, be careful, wrap a towel around it, it will be hot.         Just add cold water until you have reached an ideal temp for pitching the yeast, around 24c.

5. Do not add anything while the beer has started fermenting.

6. Try to keep it at a constant temperature 18-20 degrees, if necessary, cover loosely with a thin towel or sheet. A constant temperature is paramount.

It would be beneficial for you to watch some of the Cooper's Instructional Videos, I will post a link.

Hang in there & good luck.

Phil

Edited by Classic Brewing Co
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Hi @NBillett09 Welcome to the forum & the world of Home Brewing.

1.The best brewing temperature for an Ale would be 18-20c. There are exceptions of course but that depends on what yeast you are using, if you used the suppled yeast, all good.

2. Yes, you have to mix the tin of extract thoroughly before you add the yeast, it is not essential to stir after you add the yeast.

3. You should take a hydrometer reading before step 2, SG - starting gravity.

4. I personally put the extract in first & keep rinsing the can with hot water until you have cleaned up the can nicely, be careful, wrap a towel around it, it will be hot.         Just add cold water until you have reached an ideal temp for pitching the yeast, around 24c.

5. Do not add anything while the beer has started fermenting.

6. Try to keep it at a constant temperature 18-20 degrees, if necessary, cover loosely with a thin towel or sheet. A constant temperature is paramount.

It would be beneficial for you to watch some of the Cooper's Instructional Videos, I will post a link.

Hang in there & good luck.

Phil

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=coopers+videos+diy+beer+instructions&qpvt=coopers+videos+diy+beer+instructions&FORM=VDRE

• Like 3

The instructions say to stir/mix. Then just sprinkle tge yeast on top. Suggest you just sanitise a spoon and give it a stir if it wasn't well disolved.

From a "consistant" 18 to 25deg it will be ok.  Above about 29 will kill the coopers ale Yeast.  Just happens a bit quicker at higher temps.

I doubt the light will matter much.

Edited by Oldbloke
  • Like 2

Thank you all for your advice. As the big kit will come with a spoon that the smaller kit didn’t, I shall use that to stir/mix the extract from now on.

Good to know 18-20, will be nice and cool in there as the days heat up 😁

Because the room has ducted AC with an individual controller I can control the temp to a differential of 1-2 deg so temp control will be fine in there I think.

Because the paper instructions say “a SG reading isn’t necessary, it will start at 1.049” I didn’t take one but have since read of its importance, and also the more data the better so I will certainly do that from now on. I have begun a notebook of all the actions I did and observations along the way.

thanks for the welcome 😁

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, NBillett09 said:

Thank you all for your advice. As the big kit will come with a spoon that the smaller kit didn’t, I shall use that to stir/mix the extract from now on.

Because the room has ducted AC with an individual controller I can control the temp to a differential of 1-2 deg so temp control will be fine in there I think.

Because the paper instructions say “a SG reading isn’t necessary, it will start at 1.049” I didn’t take one but have since read of its importance, and also the more data the better so I will certainly do that from now on. I have begun a notebook of all the actions I did and observations along the way.

thanks for the welcome 😁

Sounds like you have it sussed mate, just ask if you need any more help, just don't take the lid off the Fermenter & start adding things, let it run its course, you will have a nice beer & then we want to see some photos.

2 hours ago, NBillett09 said:

thanks for the welcome 😁

G'day mate and welcome to the Forum.

You do not have to mix the extract with the water.  The yeast will find the sugar, do not worry about that.  HOWEVER,

1. Most of us do use the spoon to mix the extract and water - Just be careful to not scratch the bottom of the fermenter.  Scratches can hide bacteria.
  2. If you want to start taking Specific Gravity (SG) measurements, especially Original Gravity (OG), you will need to mix the extract in evenly.

Yep, 18-20°C is a good general Ale Yeast fermenting temperature.

Ducted AC could be an expensive method of temperature control.  But for now use what you have got.

The OG of kit brews can be calculated using spreadsheets and brewing software.  So you do not technically need to take a reading if the instructions tell you what to expect or you use one of the spreadsheets or software.  A good example is the IanH spreadsheet.  Its original format is on another forum.  However, I have a version below.  I have tweaked it over the years, but it still works okay. 

Kit & Extract Beer Designer V4.1.4 (SOS Mods).xls

• Like 3

Yeh, there is a few of those calculators around. They can be very good. I did this sometime ago. It just estimates the ABV. KISS system.

It assumes a 1.7kg kit can.

Then add dry fermentables. e.g. DME, dextrose, sugar etc. It does assume 100% fermentable. Has its limitations but very simple.

But if you add say 1kg of normal malt because it's about 20% water you would adjust to 800grams. Honey and powdered Corn Syrup (Maltodextrin) is another that would need some adjustment.

ABV Estimates.jpg

Edited by Oldbloke
  • Like 3

Hi @NBillett09,

I have been brewing beer for one year, using Coopers and other brands of extract. Great advice above.  You will find the Coopers Community will help out with any questions. The Coopers DIY videos and online info have also guided me.  I'm about to mix Brew no. 14 this afternoon, and the Coopers DIY Brew Kit pamphlet 'Let's Get Started' still gets stuck up on the laundry wall for each brew!

I do like to take an Original Gravity (OG) reading when the brew is mixed. This shows the differences and similarities between different extracts at the beginning, during fermentation, and when the Final Gravity (FG). I agree it is a very good idea to record all your brew details in a notebook or computer template. 

Best wishes for your brewing

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, jennyss said:

Hi @NBillett09,

I have been brewing beer for one year, using Coopers and other brands of extract. Great advice above.  You will find the Coopers Community will help out with any questions. The Coopers DIY videos and online info have also guided me.  I'm about to mix Brew no. 14 this afternoon, and the Coopers DIY Brew Kit pamphlet 'Let's Get Started' still gets stuck up on the laundry wall for each brew!

I do like to take an Original Gravity (OG) reading when the brew is mixed. This shows the differences and similarities between different extracts at the beginning, during fermentation, and when the Final Gravity (FG). I agree it is a very good idea to record all your brew details in a notebook or computer template. 

Best wishes for your brewing

You have done well @jennyss for brewing 14 brews in one year, good on you, you are talking like a real pro these days & you will find it should all be downhill from here.

Happy Brewing. 🍺

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, NBillett09 said:

thanks for the welcome 😁

I don't know where you live or what you are paying for your electricity but using the houses ducted A/Cond as a source for temperature control would be out for me.

However as Shamus said you have to work with what you have.

If you are going to continue brewing it may be helpful to start looking around for a fermenting fridge and get a Inkbird Temperature Controller to regulate the brewing temperature. It makes life easier (set and forget the temperature) and keeps the yeast happy and costs down.😃

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Pickles Jones said:

I don't know where you live or what you are paying for your electricity but using the houses ducted A/Cond as a source for temperature control would be out for me.

If you are going to continue brewing it may be helpful to start looking around for a fermenting fridge and get a Inkbird Temperature Controller to regulate the brewing temperature. It makes life easier (set and forget the temperature) and keeps the yeast happy and costs down.😃

Yeah, I agree mate it definitely is the way to go, sadly my ferment fridge will only hold one FV but that's Ok because I live in an older style house by the sea with high ceilings & double brick walls. I still can brew 3 or 4 brews at once at ambient temperatures & the day/night temps are fairly constant.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Pickles Jones said:

I have brewed kits since 1988.

Until recently very little temperature control. Just a globe rigged to an old water bed thermostat or wall heater controller. You could use a light dimmer if you have one. Worked ok, made heaps of great grog. There are a lot of ways to keep the temperature within sensible parameters. 

But recently got an inkbird. A bit more control, but probably not a lot of difference there. But mainly I must admit the set and forget with a high level of confidence is hard to beat.

Edited by Oldbloke
  • Like 5

8 hours ago, Oldbloke said:

NB09,

Have you been to the Coopers FAQ Page?

https://www.diybeer.com/au/brewing-support

Hi @Oldbloke yeah I have read through it all and watched the coppers how to videos, I gathered there are a few critical things, some important and some not so important things to know/do ie nuance to the process that I was trying to discern.

@jennyssthats a lot of brews to get through! Well done!

As for everyone’s concern about power usage of ducted AC, it’s not at my home, it’s actually at my place of work in a rather convenient workshop room. The AC for this room is linked to others that run almost 24/7 so I’m not using any extra power that isn’t already being used. Also the building has a big solar system 😊

the Inkbird looks like a very nifty little system!

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, NBillett09 said:

As for everyone’s concern about power usage of ducted AC, it’s not at my home, it’s actually at my place of work in a rather convenient workshop room. The AC for this room is linked to others that run almost 24/7 so I’m not using any extra power that isn’t already being used. Also the building has a big solar system 😊

You have done well, that's a hell of a bonus for keeping your brews at a constant temperature.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, NBillett09 said:

It is, and I control the master controller and room security 😁

Luvyerwork NB

Brew up and Brew On

Temp Control is a beautiful thing : )

And also soon... get yourself some Liquid Malt to add to your brews : )

(not just the dry stuff)

Cheers mate and all the Best : )

Pezzza Brewing

🙂

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, NBillett09 said:

So you're brewing and packaging said liquid at your work place. This is one of the best set ups I've ever heard of.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3