Coopers Community

Just started brewing, questions for refining the process

NBillett09

1 minute ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Cheers Shamus & thanks for your reply & helpful information. I t seems I have a bit of study to do & that will help. I didn't realise it was that involved however I can usually pick things up pretty quickly.

I think small steps at first & see how we go.

It was certainly unexpected & graciously accepted.

Cheers

Phil.

No worries, Phil.

With a bit of practice, it is actually very easy to do.  If your sanitation methods are good, you will make yeast virtually as good as bought yeast.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So the first amber ale is definitely a success! Not exactly what I’d call “complex” but definitely flavorful and enjoyable. Gotta wait another week to try the lager and golden ale, but I have plenty of Christmas beer to tide me over until it’s matured further for a while 😁

thanks everyone for your tips and advice it has been very helpful! 

C350E7F7-5C94-4956-8259-41369F7DFF95.jpeg

20106272-CC3C-40F1-9C28-18E04876E5B9.jpeg

• Like 12

1 hour ago, NBillett09 said:

So the first amber ale is definitely a success! Not exactly what I’d call “complex” but definitely flavorful and enjoyable. Gotta wait another week to try the lager and golden ale, but I have plenty of Christmas beer to tide me over until it’s matured further for a while 😁

thanks everyone for your tips and advice it has been very helpful! 

Looks nice mate, enjoy. 🍺

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, NBillett09 said:

@Oldbloke Mr Beer Bewitched Amber Ale 1.3L malt extract with the provided yeast. 

https://www.diybeer.com/au/mr-beer-bewitched-amber-ale.html

Thats a very nice Ale, I have a Craft Fermenter & used to buy Mr Beer tins all of the time, I have tweaked it a few times, but it is nice like it is

• Like 2

On 12/25/2022 at 5:28 PM, Otto Von Blotto said:

No it's not. You'll never introduce enough oxygen by simply pouring wort into a fermenter to even get to the recommended DO levels for pitching, to achieve that it requires pure oxygen. 

In saying that, it doesn't matter that much, it doesn't mean the fermentation won't work or anything like that, just making a point as to how it can't be over oxygenated that way 👍

Thanks, OVB. Good to know thanks for sharing....There's a lot of BS out there on line - so I'm discovering. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Mickep said:

Thanks, OVB. Good to know thanks for sharing....There's a lot of BS out there on line - so I'm discovering. 

No worries mate. 

It is possible to over oxygenate the wort but you could only do it with an oxygen cylinder and stone set up, and even then the wort would likely have to be chilled first. 

From memory the optimal level* is about 10ppm dissolved oxygen, pouring wort in or vigorous stirring or whatever will only get it to about 4-5ppm I think it was so you're fine. 

*This would be something commercial breweries would be more concerned about than us home brewers. Whatever it ends up being from pouring or stirring is fine for us. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 12/25/2022 at 8:28 AM, Classic Brewing Co said:

On the subject of yeast;

I have just opened a package I received from our good friend Al @iBooz2 & whaddya know - a Magnetic Stirrer!

Wow I was not expecting this, what a generous, thoughtful gesture, thank you AL, much appreciated. 

This gift shows the true colours of the great members who form part of this wonderful forum who are always willing to pass on their knowledge & help.

Thanks again Al, I am sending you some promo gear soon.

@Classic Brewing Co you earned it.   As I said, change up into the next gear, give it a rev and take your brewing from economy class to business class.

I will start off a new thread as a tutorial on how to set-up and use it for some CCA yeast and then you can get cracking on some COPA brews.

No need to repay me with any gear.  As anyone who knows me in real life will know, I want you to 'pay it forward', don't pay me back as that is not what this is all about.

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

@Classic Brewing Co you earned it.   As I said, change up into the next gear, give it a rev and take your brewing from economy class to business class.

I will start off a new thread as a tutorial on how to set-up and use it for some CCA yeast and then you can get cracking on some COPA brews.

No need to repay me with any gear.  As anyone who knows me in real life will know, I want you to 'pay it forward', don't pay me back as that is not what this is all about.

Great stuff Al, that would be great, I have used the yeast from previous brews although it works, I am shooting in the dark when it comes to quantity, temperature etc.

I am very grateful for your kindness & help, so thank you very much. 🏆

• Like 2

On 12/24/2022 at 11:03 PM, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

@BlackSands has used the same yeast for 2 years? a couple of times had to use nutrient to keep it going I think he said but massive achievement.

Just to follow-up on this...  my run with that yeast slurry, Kveik Voss came to an end just recently, and I realise it's actually been over 3 years since I first bought that pack of MJ's M12 back in Oct 2019.  That's before COVID was even a thing!  The last batch I brewed with it was actually a last-minute kit beer, one I wanted to get down, fermented and bottled before a pending house move.   However something was seriously up with the fermentation.  Even at kveik-friendly temperatures it was barely moving and adding nutrients did nothing to help either.  The fermentation also smelt weird too - a kind of sickly-sweet stench, and the partially fermented wort also tasted a bit off.  It was quite bitter but that was likely due to the 100g of citra used as a steep/dry-hop which because of the slow fermentation ended up being in the beer for far longer than intended.    I was seriously tempted to tip that one, but in the end...decided to take a punt and bottled it up anyway.  But I did however decide that it was probably finally time to start with a new pack of yeast - new house / new yeast... makes perfect sense, right?!   😃

So, as it happens I'm actually drinking that last brew from that tired voss slurry now as I type.  It is bitter but not offensively so, and in all other respects it actually turned out to be quite a pleasant drink - a Real Ale can, extract, Citra hops and a very tired Kveik Voss slurry!  

And meanwhile, my 2nd packet of Voss, also being just the second time I've actually paid for yeast in over three years, has already fermented it's first batch.   😎   

• Like 8

Hi all,

Just a quick question re commercial yeast vs brew can yeast.

What’s people’s preferences/experiences and does it really make a difference to the taste?

Obviously everyone wants to get close to the commercial product. 

Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mackbrew said:

Hi all,

What’s people’s preferences/experiences and does it really make a difference to the taste?

Thanks in advance.

Hi @Mackbrew There is a world of difference in some of the yeast strains & a slight difference in others.

The attached article explains it very well. The main purpose of the kit yeast is meant for beginners & makes thing easy for the initial brews. After time we like to experiment with different yeast strains to create more authentic beers.

Obviously, temperature plays an important role, so it is a good idea to study the chart & learn which yeasts are designed for specific beers.

Kit yeasts will always be capable of producing acceptable beers but there is a plethora of yeasts out there.

I am no expert & have been brewing for many years, but others may like to comment.

Cheers

Phil

https://www.beercraftr.com/beer-yeast-list/

Edited by Classic Brewing Co
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Mackbrew said:

Hi all,

Thanks in advance.

Harvesting the Coopers Commercial Ale yeast definitely gives you a different tasting beer to using US-05 or Nottingham (or any other yeast really).

Is it better - Not necessarily.  If you want to make something as close as possible to a Coopers Australian Pale Ale or any of their Ales, you must use the CCA yeast.  So if that is what you want, then it is better.  If you just want to make an Ale, using another yeast is just as good.  But it will not be close to a Coopers commercial offering.

Is it worth doing - Absolutely.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 1/4/2023 at 7:25 AM, Shamus O'Sean said:

Harvesting the Coopers Commercial Ale yeast definitely gives you a different tasting beer to using US-05 or Nottingham (or any other yeast really).

Is it better - Not necessarily.  If you want to make something as close as possible to a Coopers Australian Pale Ale or any of their Ales, you must use the CCA yeast.  So if that is what you want, then it is better.  If you just want to make an Ale, using another yeast is just as good.  But it will not be close to a Coopers commercial offering.

Is it worth doing - Absolutely.

I’ve got a Cooper’s Irish Stout tin sitting there, so I want to get going with that. Obviously has the yeast sachet under the lid, but I’m feeling it’s probably not going to cut it for me.

I was to use another yeast, what would you recommend @Shamus O'Sean @Classic Brewing Co or anyone else? Is there one that people have tried that they can give me a tip on? Love my stouts in winter, so I’m excited to try something different.

Go on. Knock my socks off.

Thanks in advance.

6 minutes ago, Mackbrew said:

I’ve got a Cooper’s Irish Stout tin sitting there, so I want to get going with that. Obviously has the yeast sachet under the lid, but I’m feeling it’s probably not going to cut it for me.

I was to use another yeast, what would you recommend @Shamus O'Sean @Classic Brewing Co or anyone else? Is there one that people have tried that they can give me a tip on? Love my stouts in winter, so I’m excited to try something different.

Thanks in advance.

Ok Shamus is the guru here, but IMO use the Coopers Yeast, it consistently works well & buying another package of yeast is a waste of money. The yeast in the Coopers Stout Beer Kit makes a Stout that is similar to the Stout made by the Coopers Brewery.

But as I said Shamus is the guru.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Ok Shamus is the guru here, but IMO use the Coopers Yeast, it consistently works well & buying another package of yeast is a waste of money. The yeast in the Coopers Stout Beer Kit makes a Stout that is similar to the Stout made by the Coopers Brewery.

But as I said Shamus is the guru.

Gee you flatter me Phil.  But your advice is spot on.

As soon as I read @Mackbrew's post, I thought, just use the yeast provided.  It will do a perfectly fine job with the Stout kit.

But @Mackbrew, if you want to push your brewing boundaries, have a look at the Coopers Harvesting Commercial Yeast video https://www.diybeer.com/au/brewing-support/#video=FUyFWAWB0RU  I am sure you will be happy with the result.

• Like 4

@Mackbrew I second the comments of @Classic Brewing Co and @Shamus O'Sean. The kit yeasts are great and will make great beer but in the interests of developing your brewing skills it's definitely worth harvesting some Coopers commercial yeast from a six pack.
I'd actually suggest to brew a particular beer with kit yeast first and then next time you make that beer try the harvested yeast so you can compare the flavour differences. It takes a few days to get the yeast reactivated but the effort required is minimal. Be sure to report back here on how you went if you do it.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Mackbrew said:

Thanks in advance.

Hey @Mackbrew

last stout I did was a real winner. I used MJ’s New world strong ale yeast for that and it was fantastic. So I would definitely recommend that as an option if you don’t want to go down the path of reactivating coopers yeast.

The stout can with a kilo of LDME and a can of amber liquid extract (unhopped) is definitely worth a go - will be high octane though, but a good winter warmer.

cheers

• Like 3