Coopers Community

All Grain Intro

JoeB7

We all probably started out as Kit 'n' Kilo in a plastic bucket & some want to go all grain perhaps but just hesitate at which set up to choose. I know I do.

What if you could hire a different boiler wort maker thingy to find what works best for you?

Ideas? Discuss.............🤔

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I agree HH, but for some reason I cannot stand or watch any of that bloke's videos.

The info is OK but I guess it it just me.

Ha ha fair enough. He use to post regularly on this forum, I thought the videos were pretty good. A break from the usual boring brew vids on YouTube. 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, kmar92 said:

I agree with @Hilltop hops, you can dip your toes in the water with all grain, without breaking the bank by trying BIAB. You can brew some sensational beers with BIAB and see if that is the go for you @JoeB7

I probably didn't really answer the original question! Im not aware of anyone that hires out brew systems. Not a bad idea though. Maybe larger retailers like keg king etc? 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Hilltop hops said:

I probably didn't really answer the original question! Im not aware of anyone that hires out brew systems. Not a bad idea though. Maybe larger retailers like keg king etc? 

Just for the hell of it I had a look myself, the only type I could find was places like this in QLD - although not actual brewing systems.

https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=6a85c2531ed7d658JmltdHM9MTY2MjA3NjgwMCZpZ3VpZD0yMjg1ZDExMC1lOTY1LTY2NWMtMDkyYi1jMzAzZTgwNTY3YTQmaW5zaWQ9NTE3MQ&ptn=3&hsh=3&fclid=2285d110-e965-665c-092b-c303e80567a4&u=a1aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29hbm5hYnJld2luZy5jb20uYXUvaGlyZS8&ntb=1

Interesting though as there are plenty of options for hiring Mobile Bars/Kegging Systems etc.

• Like 2

My intro to All Grain brewing was buying a Digiboil and doing BIAB.

‘Worked out ok and was a good learning curve.

12 months later I upgraded to an S40 Grainfather and now use the Digiboil for sparge water. 
I was keen on the 65L Gen 4 Brewzilla but the S40 was on an EOFY sale so I grabbed it.

‘So far I am happy with it and can produce double brews whilst home on R&R, so it works for me.

‘I still like the Brewzilla range but may upgrade in a few yrs to the big daddy G70, although there will be something different by then no doubt. 
I find the S40 struggles a bit to get up to boil with a double batch, it does get there but takes a while. 
But for $420 it’s not a bad bit of gear. 

• Like 5

join a brew club in your area  often or not they  have a equipment library where you can borrow brewing equipment

eg Merri Mashers in Victoria have a 20l braumeister  that you can borrow   (you must be a club member $50 a Year  cheap investment if you can borrow a braumeister regularly)

not only this you will get to meet alot of brewers and learn from them as well on there brew days

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, ozdevil said:

join a brew club in your area  often or not they  have a equipment library where you can borrow brewing equipment

eg Merri Mashers in Victoria have a 20l braumeister  that you can borrow   (you must be a club member $50 a Year  cheap investment if you can borrow a braumeister regularly)

not only this you will get to meet alot of brewers and learn from them as well on there brew days

Yeah that sounds like a good option, I don't need to but for anyone that did it would be the answer.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Yeah that sounds like a good option, I don't need to but for anyone that did it would be the answer.

Its probably the best way to  hire equipment really  if a person wants to try before taking the leap in to the Rabbit hole

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Hilltop hops said:

I started with a keggle, gas burner and grain bag. Upgraded to Robobrew about 3-4 yrs ago no issues. Both make nice beers. Sky's the limit in terms of equipment available. 

Grain bag! I forgot about those. Think my 8ltr pot is still at the ex's

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ozdevil said:

Good idea. I'll put out some feelers via LHBS as I don't do social media

1 hour ago, Red devil 44 said:

My intro to All Grain brewing was buying a Digiboil and doing BIAB.

‘Worked out ok and was a good learning curve.

12 months later I upgraded to an S40 Grainfather and now use the Digiboil for sparge water. 
I was keen on the 65L Gen 4 Brewzilla but the S40 was on an EOFY sale so I grabbed it.

‘So far I am happy with it and can produce double brews whilst home on R&R, so it works for me.

‘I still like the Brewzilla range but may upgrade in a few yrs to the big daddy G70, although there will be something different by then no doubt. 
I find the S40 struggles a bit to get up to boil with a double batch, it does get there but takes a while. 
But for $420 it’s not a bad bit of gear. 

Thanks mate , some good info to kickstart my AG search

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JoeB7 said:

I just found my hire shop @ozdevil 😁

30 bucks per 5 hours   100 dollar deposit   35l 3.1.1  
45  bucks per 5 hours  100 dollar deposit  for 65l  3.1.1

unfortunately gen4 35l is not up for hire

hirer picks up and drops off    at their expense

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, ozdevil said:

30 bucks per 5 hours   100 dollar deposit   35l 3.1.1  
45  bucks per 5 hours  100 dollar deposit  for 65l  3.1.1

unfortunately gen4 35l is not up for hire

hirer picks up and drops off    at their expense

For what it's worth you would really want to get it right as I found out with my first couple of AG brews with the BrewZilla, it ain't rocket science but silly, stupid dumb things like not preparing everything correctly, planning ahead & study, make notes etc. I found out the hard way the first time as I was brewing outside & running out of light trying to chill the wort to go in to the FV.

All sorted now but if you are paying buy the hour, get it right.

• Like 1