Coopers Community

Cold Front IPA

Brauhaus Fritz

5 minutes ago, Brauhaus Fritz said:

Did anyone brew the ROTM cold front ipa already. Not sure if it’s supposed to taste as it does. I find it a bit sour (off?)

That's a bit concerning.  I did not brew it.  But nothing in the recipe should create anything sour.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

That's a bit concerning.  I did not brew it.  But nothing in the recipe should create anything sour.

As I am absolutely sure that I cleaned and sanitzed everything properly it could only be oxygen as I used a 23l FV for this small batch, Saying this I never made it differently and had problems before (still will invest in a small Fv)

Tasting it again today it changed a bit (day four of dry hop, the sourness was there before). Maybe what I describe as sourness is the supposed citrus and grapefruit flavour. We’ll see.the bottles are soaking and will get filled tomorrow and in two weeks we’ll know more

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Brauhaus Fritz said:

Did anyone brew the ROTM cold front ipa already. Not sure if it’s supposed to taste as it does. I find it a bit sour (off?)

Sorry to hear of the sour result so far BF.  What temperature profile did you ferment this at?  Also what water did you use?  Do you do any water tweaking?

Fermenting it out in bigger FV should not be a problem so long as you did not FAF around with it too much.

Were the hops fresh, sealed and stored properly?

13 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

Sorry to hear of the sour result so far BF.  What temperature profile did you ferment this at?  Also what water did you use?  Do you do any water tweaking?

Fermenting it out in bigger FV should not be a problem so long as you did not FAF around with it too much.

Were the hops fresh, sealed and stored properly?

I used good old Maroubra tab water. The hop was fresh. I followed the recipe, pitched at 18 C and fermented at 15 C

7 minutes ago, Popo said:

Sour like vinegar? How long had it been fermenting for before your taste?

It could just be a flavour from the hops or yeast you may not be used to. Hopefully.

Yeah, that what I think now, no it’s not vinegary. I will bottle it tomorrow and see in two weeks. Just thought that someone brewed it already and could share their experience

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Brauhaus Fritz said:

Yeah, that what I think now, no it’s not vinegary. I will bottle it tomorrow and see in two weeks. Just thought that someone brewed it already and could share their experience

It could be hop burn if there is hop matter in suspension. If it is it will settle! 🤞 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Brauhaus Fritz said:

I used good old Maroubra tab water. The hop was fresh. I followed the recipe, pitched at 18 C and fermented at 15 C

Is it a fruity sour flavour?  Could be a Brettanomyces ("Brett") infection or similar cross contamination.  Have you brewed anything like Ginger beer or fruit brews in that FV before this?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

Is it a fruity sour flavour?  Could be a Brettanomyces ("Brett") infection or similar cross contamination.  Have you brewed anything like Ginger beer or fruit brews in that FV before this?

Could have brewed something like this in the FV before (I have two FV's) but that's many brews before. Is it fruity sour? I will taste it again when I bottle in the afternoon

• Like 1

23 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

Doesn’t look like infection, maybe it’s just my paranoia and expectation. Bottled 9 longnecks today. I will let you know in two weeks how it turned out

1C48A7E4-7D11-4CEB-8092-300CC16FC95E.jpeg

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
59 minutes ago, Brauhaus Fritz said:

Here I am asking again if someone brewed this one already. Not convinced that it is a nice recipe.

I havent, but ive found over my journey up until now, water is a major factor. Especially with kit beers.

I had sourness with everything, and almost gave up. I'm not going down the all grain verse kit beer road, but I now use rain water for my beers. Boil it before brew day, and use chemicals as if it is distilled water depending on what I brew. 

So what I'm getting at, with a kit beer, you have to top up your fermenter with around 20 - 21 litres of whatever water you have. If its shite water you dont have the luxury of treating it.

I've gone off on a tangent here. So maybe next kit beer boil up your water and store it sanitary before brew day. 

Water for me has been a game changer in my brewing.

• Thanks 2

You definitely have a point there. When I starter brewing ( kit) I used to buy bottled water and my brews where really, really nice, till after about 40 brews I got too cocky and had problems with dirty bottles and bad storage. Having eliminated sanitary issues (in my opinion) and also using temperature control to a certain degree it might be the water. I don’t drink Maroubra tap water, some mornings when I have a really early shower it smells like chemicals ( not just chlorine), especially after rain. You might have a point there. I just would like to find someone to compare tasting notes

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Brauhaus Fritz said:

You definitely have a point there. When I starter brewing ( kit) I used to buy bottled water and my brews where really, really nice, till after about 40 brews I got too cocky and had problems with dirty bottles and bad storage. Having eliminated sanitary issues (in my opinion) and also using temperature control to a certain degree it might be the water. I don’t drink Maroubra tap water, some mornings when I have a really early shower it smells like chemicals ( not just chlorine), especially after rain. You might have a point there. I just would like to find someone to compare tasting notes

I cannot comment on water not knowing much about the technical stuff but what I do know is brewing with Adelaide water going through a Pura Tap filter just tastes & works fine for me.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Pale Man said:

Never rest on your laurels with brewing. If its kit or grain. The whole process needs attention and can be unforgiving. 

I say take every step carefully, and look over each process. Its not helping you at the moment, but go back to basics. 

I did and haven't looked back. To the point my beers are family acceptable. I'm a fussy old bugga. 

Pale Man that is so true, it is unforgiving and can jump up and bite you when you thought you had it covered..

Back to basics and work it through.

Side note: I use straight tap water no extra's, No filter.

I'm sure it could be better if I stepped it up to bottled water or filtered but i'm happy with what I'm drinking so nothing to change here!

• Like 2

On 9/19/2022 at 4:45 PM, Brauhaus Fritz said:

Here I am asking again if someone brewed this one already. Not convinced that it is a nice recipe.

It is a shame that nobody who has brewed this beer has commented.  However, as I have said previously, there is nothing in the recipe/method that will introduce sourness.

I did have occasional harshness from dry hopped beers.  I have since improved my dry hopping process.  I have not had a dodgy brew since then.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Mickep said:

SOS @Shamus O'Sean, can you elaborate here?

I do not use a Chux cloth straight from the packet anymore.  Nowadays, I

• boil the Chux for 5 minutes along with the cooking string I use to tie up the "bag" and some tongs. 
  • sanitise a 2 litre jug inside and out. 
  • sanitise the marbles I use to weigh down the hop bag in the FV. 
  • remove the Chux from the pot with the tongs
  • sanitise my hands
  • use the jug to shape a bag out of the Chux, making sure the Chux does not touch the bench or anything else not sanitised
  • add about 40 marbles to the Chux bag
  • add the hops straight from the packet
  • bunch up the top of the Chux bag and tie with the sterilised string
  • take the Chux bag in the jug to the FV
  • lift the lid and add the Chux bag to the FV and close the lid, leaving one end of the string hanging outside the FV
  • check the FV each day and if the bag has floated, use the string to jiggle the Chux bag like a teabag to make it sink again

David Heath Home Brew YouTube channel has some recent videos where he has do the same process.  That's where I got the idea from.

• Thanks 3

3 hours ago, Mickep said:

SOS @Shamus O'Sean, can you elaborate here?

Thanks again for your always great advice and input @Shamus O’Sean, I did use a hop bag which I boiled for a while. Didn’t sanitise my hands, will do next time. Gave some to try to my son today, he loved the aroma ( I agree it smells fantastic) and taste as well. He recons what I taste as sour is the Simcoe hops. And maybe it’s just not to my taste 👅 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Today after six weeks conditioning in the bottle it is actually a really nice beer. I really shouldn’t trust the ready after two weeks. It’s not the first time that it took a while for the beer to come together. Pity only that it was a small batch and only two bottles are left 

F3E2F7C8-41D3-437A-80D5-978B41038C8D.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2