Coopers Community

Moving heavy vessels

Malter White

11 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

I know some of you already have dollies like this to move your brews around. I just saw these for sale at Aldi for $20. Rated to 250kg. They seemed reasonably sturdy.

Hey Muzza that is cheap & there is nothing wrong with them but I had one but gave it to my ex-girlfriend for moving pot plants around - to save me doing it 🤭

I found them a bit low to the ground & unstable with precious cargo (beer) on board & they can tip easily.

I am getting one from Bunnings for $49 which is higher off the ground a has a handle. Saxon 150kg Platform Trolley  Find in store: Aisle 22, Bay 4

Saxon 150kg Platform Trolley

• Like 3

@Classic Brewing Co They aren't suitable for my needs either. I mix my beer in the kitchen and ferment it outside. Getting it over the threshold is my issue so I just have to rely on my brute strength to do this. 💪😁 But I did know the price was excellent and others might find the info useful.

Edited by MUZZY
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Hey Muzza that is cheap & there is nothing wrong with them but I had one but gave it to my ex-girlfriend for moving pot plants around - to save me doing it 🤭

I found them a bit low to the ground & unstable with precious cargo (beer) on board & they can tip easily.

I am getting one from Bunnings for $49 which is higher off the ground a has a handle. Saxon 150kg Platform Trolley  Find in store: Aisle 22, Bay 4

Saxon 150kg Platform Trolley

That's a good buy, Phil, and versatile too. Not only transfer your brews but can double up as a zimmer frame when you stagger home from the local. 😄 

• Haha 7

3 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

@Classic Brewing Co They aren't suitable for my needs either. I mix my beer in the kitchen and ferment it outside. Getting it over the threshold is my issue so I just have to rely on my brute strength to do this. 💪😁 But I did know the price was excellent and others might find the info useful.

Yeah please understand I wasn't bagging them or your idea, they definitely have a place in any brewers home it's just that I nearly tipped one over like those but with a handle you have slightly more control, obviously the more you pay, the better you get but I think I have spent enough already 🤣

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

@Classic Brewing Co I didn't take any umbrage from your comment. I knew what you were saying. 🙂 

All good, I probably will end up with this one anyway, it has 4 wheels,

Toplift 150kg Folding Platform Trolley $79.00

they also have rubber wheels which is good as I have wooden floors. Cheers.

Toplift 150kg Folding Platform Trolley

1 hour ago, MUZZY said:

I know some of you already have dollies like this to move your brews around. I just saw these for sale at Aldi for $20. Rated to 250kg. They seemed reasonably sturdy. Dimensions 600 x 340mm.

IMG_20220810_160402.jpg

cheers for the heads up, i'm looking for one of these

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MUZZY said:

I know some of you already have dollies like this to move your brews around. I just saw these for sale at Aldi for $20. Rated to 250kg. They seemed reasonably sturdy. Dimensions 600 x 340mm.

IMG_20220810_160402.jpg

I have a few of those. Pretty handy. But yeah, I still have to lift the FV over the threshold and then back onto the trolley. Better than nothing though 🙂 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

I have a few of those. Pretty handy. But yeah, I still have to lift the FV over the threshold and then back onto the trolley. Better than nothing though 🙂 

Fortunately my back and muscles are still in good enough shape to carry the FV the full journey but I can see a day in the future where one of these dollies will be handy.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

Fortunately my back and muscles are still in good enough shape to carry the FV the full journey but I can see a day in the future where one of these dollies will be handy.

get one now and do the bump over the threshold, Your back will love you for it!

• Like 1

I have the version that @Classic Brewing Co showed and it works well. Beats lugging a 25kg of FV around the place, of course you still need to lift the FV onto and off benches and into and out of a fridge, but you avoid the walking and holding 25kg out in front of your beer gut when you do that 😜. I also use it to move kegs, handy bit of gear for many things.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, kmar92 said:

I have the version that @Classic Brewing Co showed and it works well. Beats lugging a 25kg of FV around the place, of course you still need to lift the FV onto and off benches and into and out of a fridge, but you avoid the walking and holding 25kg out in front of your beer gut when you do that 😜. I also use it to move kegs, handy bit of gear for many things.

Yeah a lot of people forget about the tap when they are lugging the Coopers FV's around from room to room, one false move & it will pop out.

The Ambi style FV taps screw in so a bit more forgiving.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/10/2022 at 7:43 PM, kmar92 said:

Yeah, the lifting onto the bench for bottling is the issue for me. Still managing atm but can see it's going to be an issue in a few years. Maybe someone will invent a trolley with a scissor or hydraulic lift function. Any engineers out there?

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Spursman said:

Yeah, the lifting onto the bench for bottling is the issue for me. Still managing atm but can see it's going to be an issue in a few years. Maybe someone will invent a trolley with a scissor or hydraulic lift function. Any engineers out there?

How about this one?

https://www.bunnings.com.au/gorilla-150kg-scissor-lift-trolley_p0287074

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 8/24/2022 at 7:02 AM, Aussiekraut said:

@Aussiekraut that model is fantastic, just what an ageing brewer with a dodgy knee needs - it's just parting with a monkey that is the downside.

Having said that if you were in a more serious need it would be the answer. 

I find a simple process years ago for lifting the full FV up onto the bench for bottling/kegging, I use a stool (from Bunnings) $12.00.  

I/N: 0860255.  it is 333mm high & is handy for other uses.   Syneco 2 Step Plastic Stool

Syneco 2 Step Plastic Stool

Edited by Classic Brewing Co
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

@Aussiekraut that model is fantastic, just what an ageing brewer with a dodgy knee needs - it's just parting with a monkey that is the downside.

Having said that if you were in a more serious need it would be the answer. 

I find a simple process years ago for lifting the full FV up onto the bench for bottling/kegging, I use a stool (from Bunnings) $12.00.  

I/N: 0860255.  it is 333mm high & is handy for other uses.   Syneco 2 Step Plastic Stool

Syneco 2 Step Plastic Stool

I think I should have made this a little clearer, I lift the FV on to the top step & then on to the bench. I find it a little easier & safer in the 2-step process.

• Like 1

Just saw this thread. Two things invaluable in the home brewery. Milk crates and dolly's. I think I have 5 milk crates and 4 dolly's. Dolly's made from scrap wood and scrounged wheels. Great for moving stuff and long term ferments. Have two dolly's with 3 glass ferments that I move around to warmer parts. Beats the crap put of trying to pick them up and move them.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Greenyinthewestofsydney said:

Just saw this thread. Two things invaluable in the home brewery. Milk crates and dolly's. I think I have 5 milk crates and 4 dolly's. Dolly's made from scrap wood and scrounged wheels. Great for moving stuff and long term ferments. Have two dolly's with 3 glass ferments that I move around to warmer parts. Beats the crap put of trying to pick them up and move them.

Like you, I also have 5 Milk crates and 2 dolly's or trolleys, all made out of scrap wood, to move Fermenters or Crates of beer about.

Lost without them

If I ever need extra help lifting, I'm good for now, I'll be using Pulleys.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DavidM said:

Like you, I also have 5 Milk crates and 2 dolly's or trolleys, all made out of scrap wood, to move Fermenters or Crates of beer about.

Here's how I move some of my Fermenters about.

Sliding out of the heat controlled fridge, currently set for 20c.

20220826_113015.thumb.jpg.0e696232b3fdd2e4513a39cc68557812.jpg

22cm Lift onto the bottling table.

20220826_113130.thumb.jpg.67bd6aa81b72b5e0e28b2d17778c9d2d.jpg

• Like 3