Coopers Community

Moving heavy vessels

Malter White

I've often wondered how I'd get on lifting FV's around when I get much older and frail!   Such a device is not useful in my situation.  Because of space constraints my brew fridge is currently in a very awkward position - on the left end of a waist-height bench facing sideways, pointing down the length of the bench, so the door doesn't open outward toward me.  This requies me to not only lift the FV up to the height of the fridges shelf but also then hold the FV out to my left and try heave it up into the fridge -  the shelf is at around chest height.   When I first started doing this with 23 litre batches it was near impossible  - such an awkward angle to lift what I imagine is close to 25kg.  There were a couple of times where I nearly let it slip!  That would have been disasterous!    However, two things have helped.  One was to reduce my batch size.  I do 20 litres brews these days - 3kgs less made things a little easier, though it was still quite awkward.  But, one other thing I started doing about 18 months ago was resistance training - bought some dumbells, resistance band etc and do these regular upper body workouts 3 - 5 days a week.   I started this activity as I know as we get older muscle loss (sarcopenia) is a thing, and resistance workouts help a lot to slow the loss.  A year later that had actually made quite a significant difference... I'm clearly much stronger now than I was back when I was first struggling to get my FV into the fridge as I can now even manage a 23litre batch without too much difficulty. 

🏋️‍♂️ 💪

But there will no doubt come a day eventually where age-related muscle loss makes it extremely difficult once again.   Then I think I'll be brewing 10 litre batches!  🧑‍🦯

Edited by BlackSands
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

@BlackSands I changed jobs just before Christmas. Going from sedentary bus driving to delivery work with lots of lifting It was a challenge initially but now I feel in pretty good shape compared to how I was. It certainly has helped my ability to lug my FVs. I carry 23-25 litre about 15 metres from the kitchen, over the threshold and out the back to the ferment fridge. I'm not the type to make resistance exercise a routine so the new job has filled that void.
All is good at this stage (56 years) to continue my existing brew routine and I'll just have to cross the sarcopenia bridge when I get there. Smaller batches are probably the solution. I can only assume my consumption will reduce with reduced body mass. 

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

All is good at this stage (56 years) to continue my existing brew routine and I'll just have to cross the sarcopenia bridge when I get there. Smaller batches are probably the solution. I can only assume my consumption will reduce with reduced body mass. 

Somewhat ironically I'm in far better shape now in my early 60's than I was in my 50's!  Spent most of my time hunched over a computer.   My previous abode had me in a similar situation to yours... I'd brew in the kitchen, and then have to lug the FV out of the house, down a couple of stairs and then off into the garage.  My fridge was far more accesible there though!  The house before that was similar also, brew in the kitched then a good trip with a few stairs down to the garage.  Never had a mishap though I came close a few times!  

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, BlackSands said:

Somewhat ironically I'm in far better shape now in my early 60's than I was in my 50's!  Spent most of my time hunched over a computer.   My previous abode had me in a similar situation to yours... I'd brew in the kitchen, and then have to lug the FV out of the house, down a couple of stairs and then off into the garage.  My fridge was far more accesible there though!  The house before that was similar also, brew in the kitched then a good trip with a few stairs down to the garage.  Never had a mishap though I came close a few times!  

Stairs would definitely be a worry. My biggest obstacles are getting over the back door threshold and past a silly dog with severe FOMO issues and has a tendency to get under your feet when you least want it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, MUZZY said:

Stairs would definitely be a worry. My biggest obstacles are getting over the back door threshold and past a silly dog with severe FOMO issues and has a tendency to get under your feet when you least want it.

Muzzy what are you drinking you appear to be looking somewhat younger ? 🤔

• Haha 2

Oh bugger this fellas. Most of us are past the big five o and things aren’t as easy as they used to be. Lifting an FV onto the top of a bench is hard. Putting a full keg into a chest freezer (and taking them out again when needed) is even harder. If you have a back like mine and are only supposed to lift 10kg max, you have to do things regardless. Whether your doctors or bodies approve is a different story. 

• Like 5
  • Sad 2