Coopers Community

Russian Imperial Stout

21 minutes ago, Mr Polar said:

Hi all!!

I really want to do a Russian Imperial Stout, does anyone have any recipe ideas?  I have some ideas just want to see what’s out there.. thanks! 

Hi @Mr Polarattached is Coopers version, I have never made it but I can think of at least 3 brewers that will offer you some ideas, Cheers.

Russian Imperial Stout.html

9 hours ago, Mr Polar said:

Hi all!!

I really want to do a Russian Imperial Stout, does anyone have any recipe ideas?  I have some ideas just want to see what’s out there.. thanks! 

The Coopers Russian Imperial Stout is a good recipe on its own.  If you want a chocolate vibe with it, you could do a cold steep of 400g of Chocolate Malt.

For a different yeast, try a Saison yeast.  Lallemand Brewing's LalBrew Farmhouse is a good example.

I would think that most finishing hops would get lost in a RIS.  Maybe keep the hops for a more suitable brew.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/14/2022 at 4:00 PM, Mr Polar said:

I’d like to think there would be better yeast options and finishing hops, maybe some chocolate..

Hi @Mr Polar that recipe is, by all accounts a cracker. 

What are some of the ideas you have had?

As @Shamus O'Sean says finishing hops will be lost in a proper RIS and chocolate can be gained with a suitable grain addition, although I have seen people here use cacao nibs in their beers.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

I'm tempted to try this. I like a stout but 9% is bloody high. I would probably skip adding the dextrose.

I was surprised it was so simple.

Also a can of lager seems out of place to me. Any ideas why the lager is part of the recipe?

1 hour ago, Oldbloke said:

I'm tempted to try this. I like a stout but 9% is bloody high. I would probably skip adding the dextrose.

I was surprised it was so simple.

Also a can of lager seems out of place to me. Any ideas why the lager is part of the recipe?

I would have a guess and say to keep it closer to guidelines colour bitterness etc. If another can of stout or dark ale was used it might throw the balance of everything out.

7 hours ago, Oldbloke said:

It is a good source of plain Pale Malt.  Most of the fermentables in Stout is Pale Malt, probably around at least 60%.  Plus the Lager can is moderately bittered.  So it will not push your RIS too far.  There is nothing to stop you omitting the Lager can and doing 1 x Stout and 2 x Dark Ale.  It will be a bigger beer, probably around 140 IBU's.  However, I have read/heard that anything over about 100 IBU's "tastes" the same.  Our taste buds cannot detect the difference between 100 versus 140 IBU's. 

If you do it, let us know how it goes.  I did the RIS ages ago and thought it was a very nice brew.  My bottles were all gone in just over a year.

• Like 2

Lol. 9% might ok for some stouts but a bit much for me.  🤣

I've got a lot of ELDM I bought cheaply. So,,, I thinking 

1 stout

1 dark ale

1kg ELDM

Close to the original recipe, bit lower ABV.

Was at the LHBS yesterday morning, could have grabbed a stout then, bugger. 

I'll pick one up sometime next week and give it a crack.

The big problem then is waiting 6 months. 🙄

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, Back Brewing said:

Thinking of putting one of these down like this

1 can of coopers stout 

1.5 kilo's of dry malt 

400g chocolate malt cold steep 24hrs before brewing

What alc% would it be?

Depends on how many litres.  23 litres will give you about 4.6%   nowhere in the ball park of an Imperial Stout.

12 litres with those ingredients will be around the mark.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pale Man said:

Depends on how many litres.  23 litres will give you about 4.6%   nowhere in the ball park of an Imperial Stout.

12 litres with those ingredients will be around the mark.

Sorry, around 5%. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Back Brewing said:

Thinking of putting one of these down like this

1 can of coopers stout 

1.5 kilo's of dry malt 

400g chocolate malt cold steep 24hrs before brewing

What alc% would it be?

Would this brew be a bit on the sweet side and would I need to add some hops?