Coopers Community

Russian Imperial Stout

On 6/4/2023 at 2:53 PM, Back Brewing said:

Thinking of putting one of these down like this

1 can of coopers stout 

1.5 kilo's of dry malt 

400g chocolate malt cold steep 24hrs before brewing

What alc% would it be?

I went and got all the ingredients today and am going to use 2 kilo's of malt they gave me light dry malt 

I got home and thought I should have got dark dry malt I rang and they have it, should I swap it or use the light dry malt being a stout? Also I'm only going to steep 200g of chocolate malt which should give a bit of chocolate tones.

I was going to use Nottingham but they suggested Lallemand English Style Ale Yeast so hopefully they are on the right track.

Edited by Back Brewing
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Back Brewing said:

I went and got all the ingredients today and am going to use 2 kilo's of malt they gave me light dry malt 

I got home and thought I should have got dark dry malt I rang and they have it, should I swap it or use the light dry malt being a stout? Also I'm only going to steep 200g of chocolate malt which should give a bit of chocolate tones.

I was going to use Nottingham but they suggested Lallemand English Style Ale Yeast so hopefully they are on the right track.

I reckon the Dark Malt would be better, but it depends on how far you have to travel, it will still be nice though.

That yeast would be spot on.

Edited by Classic Brewing Co

7 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I recon the Dark Malt would be better, but it depends on how far you have to travel, it will still be nice though.

That yeast would be spot on.

Only a 5 minute drive to swap over at Pooraka good to hear the yeast is all good

On 6/4/2023 at 7:23 PM, Back Brewing said:

Thanks for that I'm not into the big alcohol 

I reckon it will be a good stout so I reckon I will brew it and put it into a keg

Not to be pedantic, but I'm sort of not getting why you've posted this in a Russian Imperial Stout thread? Anything under 7 - 8% definitely isnt that really.

4 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

Not to be pedantic, but I'm sort of not getting why you've posted this in a Russian Imperial Stout thread? Anything under 7 - 8% definitely isnt that really.

Just seen it and thought I could ask if I could lower it somehow

Sorry you can move it to the proper thread if you or the mods want

That's twice now always the same with me the same poo just the depth that varies 

Edited by Back Brewing
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Back Brewing said:

Just seen it and thought I could ask if I could lower it somehow

Sorry you can move it to the proper thread if you or the mods want

That's twice now always the same with me the same poo just the depth that varies 

All good, no biggy. Just thought you may have been confused as to what an RIS is.

I'm a bit fussy when it comes to beer styles.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Back Brewing said:

LDM should be ok if you've got the can of Stout and the chocolate malt to go with it. Lots of the Stout recipes have a pale malt base.

• Like 1

On 6/8/2023 at 12:45 PM, beach_life said:

need more stouts in that one.... 9%+ I think

Agreed beachy. I was trying to be half nice without coming across as a beer snob.

Edited by Pale Man
  • Haha 1

On 6/7/2023 at 5:04 PM, Back Brewing said:

Yep that's the one there has been a change in the shop you will probably find out on Friday.

Well, I know that John (the son) has left & Wayne & his wife are the owners but wasn't aware of any other changes.

As it turned out I didn't get there as I am getting a new Alternator fitted in the 4WD, the bloody price of that is enough to buy a micro-brewery 😬

Edited by Classic Brewing Co
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I am getting a new Alternator fitted in the 4WD, the bloody price of that is enough to buy a micro-brewery 😬

Man after my heart. I have a 79 series Land Cruiser, fully kitted out for living off grid. If ya need a camping companion Phil.

Whoops, broke my own rules and gone off topic.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Pale Man said:

Man after my heart. I have a 79 series Land Cruiser, fully kitted out for living off grid. If ya need a camping companion Phil.

Whoops, broke my own rules and gone off topic.

I love camping, bush tucker, wood fires, cold beer, the outback, BBQ's, gourmet meals - Oh did I mention cold beer. 🤣

Mine is a 2011 Ford Escape & I have travelled to 4 states with it, mine is not fitted out but my priorities are Bar & Camp Kitchen. 🍺 🥩

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I love camping, bush tucker, wood fires, cold beer, the outback, BBQ's, gourmet meals - Oh did I mention cold beer. 🤣

Mine is a 2011 Ford Escape & I have travelled to 4 states with it, mine is not fitted out but my priorities are Bar & Camp Kitchen. 🍺 🥩

I can run two fridges off my Cruiser dual batts. Have a 60 litre Engel, 40 litre Engel. Shes a beast.

Just now, Pale Man said:

I can run two fridges off my Cruiser dual batts. Have a 60 litre Engel, 40 litre Engel. Shes a beast.

I had a 40l Waeco but sold it as I wasn't using it enough because I was staying in Motels/Hotels/Cabins all over AUS before I retired. It saved me lots of money as you know it would.