Coopers Community

6 Row Substitute???

RDT2

Hi guys wanting to do a KB style clone which calls for 3.6kg of 2-row Pilsner Malt and 1.2kg of 6-row Pilsner malt. My homebrew store doesn’t have 6 row can I substitute with Maris Otter or any other suggestions or just go with more 2row Pilsner malt??? Thanks in advance just wanted to get as close as I can to the old school beer 🍺  I’ve searched the net but couldn’t find anything definitive hoping someone has had experience with this!

Edited by RDT2
  • Like 1

Hey @RDT2, briess  do a Pilsner dry malt extract. Being an American company I reckon there’s a good chance it’ll be 6 row…maybe?

Not an all grain solution though. Is the difference grain size and protein level? Or something else?

Scrap that- just checked their site. It says they use 2 row. 
Apparently 6 row has more protein and more enzymes. Perhaps you could do a two step mash for increased enzyme activity using 2 row?

Dunno. Maybe I’ll just stick to knk 🤣

Edited by Tone boy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tone boy said:

Hey @RDT2, briess  do a Pilsner dry malt extract. Being an American company I reckon there’s a good chance it’ll be 6 row…maybe?

Not an all grain solution though. Is the difference grain size and protein level? Or something else?

Scrap that- just checked their site. It says they use 2 row. 
Apparently 6 row has more protein and more enzymes. Perhaps you could do a two step mash for increased enzyme activity using 2 row?

Dunno. Maybe I’ll just stick to knk 🤣

Cheers mate, hopefully @Greenyinthewestofsydney @disgruntledOr some else might have some ideas or experience. Thanks for the reply though.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, RDT2 said:

Cheers mate, hopefully @Greenyinthewestofsydney @disgruntledOr some else might have some ideas or experience. Thanks for the reply though.

Have done that recipe almost a dozen times now and I have just subbed it out for 2 row ale malt. As some have said 6 row has more protein and a more grainy taste rather than a malty taste. I have read where some sub it with 2 row and a portion of corn to mimic it. 

I can tell you the recipe done exactly as it is in the bronzed book with a 2 row sub is an extremely nice megaswill. I can't do a side by side as the CUB KB beer is so far different from the Tooth's version.

I think the yeast is of vital importance. The southern German lager gives a malty profile and is very quick. I have had slurry pitches finish in 4 days at 10c which is unheard of for a lager.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Greenyinthewestofsydney said:

Have done that recipe almost a dozen times now and I have just subbed it out for 2 row ale malt. As some have said 6 row has more protein and a more grainy taste rather than a malty taste. I have read where some sub it with 2 row and a portion of corn to mimic it. 

I can tell you the recipe done exactly as it is in the bronzed book with a 2 row sub is an extremely nice megaswill. I can't do a side by side as the CUB KB beer is so far different from the Tooth's version.

I think the yeast is of vital importance. The southern German lager gives a malty profile and is very quick. I have had slurry pitches finish in 4 days at 10c which is unheard of for a lager.

Thanks mate your a legend! 

• Like 1

I've seen the odd recipe asking for 6-row but it seems to be hard to come by. I don't even think we grow it here. It's an American thing from what I gather. Just like carboys, (tapless) buckets for secondary fermentation and bottling with an auto syphon 🙂  Their way of home brewing is rather different from what we do. Then again, maybe we're just lazy 🙂 

The pressing question is: wtf is KB? I know it isn't knowledge base and not kilo byte, so presume some sort of bitter but what does the K stand for?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Greenyinthewestofsydney said:

KB was extremely popular in the 70s and early 80s. My father still tells me of the time he bought a carton after CUB started brewing it and that was the last carton of KB he bought. The new head brewer changed the recipe and threw out the house yeast and that was all she wrote really.

Ok well I was going to ferment on a diamond yeast cake but your making me think I need to get the southern German yeast then.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

I've seen the odd recipe asking for 6-row but it seems to be hard to come by.

The main issue is the expense.  Fair retail is about $6/kg for the Briess Brewers Malt which is American 2 row  as compared to Aussie 2 row which is about $3.50.  The American 6 row is even dearer.   I know Gladfield do an American Ale Malt but pretty sure it is not American 2 row where Briess is.  We sell the Briess 2 row at the shop but very few people buy it. When you are putting together a big grist for a double or triple batch guys just will not pay $6/kg for an grain they may need 8kg or more of.  Particularly if it going to be a hop bomb like many US styles.  

Edited by Marty_G
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Marty_G said:

The main issue is the expense.  Fair retail is about $6/kg for the Briess Brewers Malt which is American 2 row  as compared to Aussie 2 row which is about $3.50.  The American 6 row is even dearer.   I know Gladfield do an American Ale Malt but pretty sure it is not American 2 row where Briess is.  We sell the Briess 2 row at the shop but very few people buy it. When you are putting together a big grist for a double or triple batch guys just will not pay $6/kg for an grain they may need 8kg or more of.  Particularly if it going to be a hop bomb like many US styles.  

Why is Briess so exy? Because it's from the US? I tend to buy Aussie malts where I can and use Barrett Burston Pale malt because it is malted in Brissie and Voyager Veloria as a MO substitute. Not only because it is a lot cheaper but I'd rather support a local business than send the dosh overseas. I do buy Gladfield, Bestmalz and Weyermann but only when I can't get a local alternative.  In a 25kilo sack, the BB costs me $2.40/kg and the Veloria is $2.80. Thomas Fawcett Maris Otter would set me back $3.84/kg, a good buck more. 

• Like 1

On 2/24/2022 at 1:15 PM, Greenyinthewestofsydney said:

The yeast tucker man speaks I listen! (Bush tucker man) Starter is underway!

C9324D90-D806-43F0-85E0-0D7FD5E5D0EF.jpeg

0C9732D9-0CDE-4A67-9D11-1E3C1B7314F7.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Greenyinthewestofsydney said:

Nice. Big fan of that yeast. Have been wanting to make a big dark lager with it as it will accentuate the malts. Must do that before winter.

Like a Munich Dunkel?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Greenyinthewestofsydney said:

Yeah or a nice schwarzbier as well.

No more ideas please I can’t keep up🤣

I’ve got about 5 different yeasts in the fridge a big bag of hops cause the home brew store keeps having sales I wanted to make a KB lager and now I am thinking of a Munich dunkel after that as I have a heap of Munich malt but you don’t need many hops for that so I also need to make some hoppy beers as well to get rid of some hops. I feel like a kid in a candy store not knowing what to eat first. I love this hobby😋

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

17 minutes ago, Greenyinthewestofsydney said:

Yeah or a nice schwarzbier as well.

@Greenyinthewestofsydney just to clarify I have coopers pale malt and Mo on hand which one would you recommend for the substitute for the 6row in the KB? Thanks again for your help!

I spoke to one of the older guys at work yesterday he actually used to drink KB back in the day he said it was nice. If it works out I will give him some.

Edited by RDT2
  • Like 1

@RDT2 I have had a KB lager in my brew queue for ages.  I have the WLP838 yeast on standby in my yeast fridge.

My AG recipe for KB was mainly WEY premium pilsner malt about 4 kg (from memory) and I subbed in 1.2 kg WEY floor malted Bohemian pilsner malt for the 6-row part as the floor malted has a very high L of 120.  Have not made it yet but also keen to try one out.

As an aside - Also keen to try out the new Voyager malt TRITICALE that comes from a hybrid cross between wheat and rye and is high in protein at 12 - 14%, maybe not in a KB but I am interested to see what this new malt can bring to a beer.   I know what wheat brings and @disgruntled @Itinerant Peasant have discovered and spruik the benefits of rye so this new malt might be the best of both worlds.

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, RDT2 said:

No more ideas please I can’t keep up🤣

I’ve got about 5 different yeasts in the fridge a big bag of hops cause the home brew store keeps having sales I wanted to make a KB lager and now I am thinking of a Munich dunkel after that as I have a heap of Munich malt but you don’t need many hops for that so I also need to make some hoppy beers as well to get rid of some hops. I feel like a kid in a candy store not knowing what to eat first. I love this hobby😋

Yeah I made a schwarzbier a couple of years back with budvar yeast. Was a nice beer but not as malty as it could be. I think the southern german lager yeast would make a nicer one.

1 hour ago, RDT2 said:

@Greenyinthewestofsydney just to clarify I have coopers pale malt and Mo on hand which one would you recommend for the substitute for the 6row in the KB? Thanks again for your help!

I spoke to one of the older guys at work yesterday he actually used to drink KB back in the day he said it was nice. If it works out I will give him some.

I'd just use the coopers pale as the sub mate.  MO would work as well but. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 2/26/2022 at 1:00 PM, iBooz2 said:

this new malt might be the best of both worlds.

Or neither 😆

Triticale has been around for yonkers... supposed to assist re dry condition rooting depths and some disease resistance brought across from festive tough old Rye...

But suspect malting Triticale is more of a recent thing?  And yes I did see it in Voyagers' offering... along with a whole swag of other weird and wonderful stuff : )

https://www.voyagercraftmalt.com.au/VCMGuide202122.pdf

• Like 1