Coopers Community

ANOTHER REASON TO BE A HOME BREWER

Classic Brewing Co

Surely this is just another reason why we are Home Brewers - not the main one but it just reminds me why I am involved in a great hobby providing a lot of satisfaction & enjoyment creating any beer style I want to satisfy my drinking needs. However there is also the bonus of being able to produce acceptable brews & of course save money & not get tangled up in all of the inflated & rising prices of the amber liquid we all like so much.

Cheers 🍻

https://www.msn.com/en-au/finance/markets/beer-costs-could-rise-from-today-as-tax-hike-hits-and-industry-calls-for-reprieve/ar-AATkWcx?ocid=uxbndlbing

• Like 2

I had a think about this one and for Me, as a K&K Brew, I can't agree.

I read through the pages of the "Brew Days" "it's Kegging time" and others, I marvel at the time and Gear some of you guys have.

My experience had been different, I've only been doing this 6 months. I will not move to Keg's (I thought about it).

The Kit was a gift along with a bottle caper. My neighbour drinks longnecks and gave me over 200 (I gave him beer I brewed).

Picked up an extra Fementer and some extra gear $35

Wifi Inkbird $50. Monster brew fridge $50. Three extra fementers, given by mates who don't use them.

A brew for myself cost's roughly: $17 for a can of Coopers pale. $10 for LDM (I bought a 20k bulk pack) I few $ for hops.

I've spent $135 on gear, add the kit $235

A brew cost's Roughly $30 For roughly 30 longnecks.

I was buying for the Wife and Myself 5 cartons a fortnight.

So after 8 brews I'm a ways in front, I'm up to brew 33 and I'm drinking better Beer.

We are all different and we all have different results

But I am saving Money.

😀🍻

• Like 6

26 minutes ago, DavidM said:

I had a think about this one and for Me, as a K&K Brew, I can't agree.

I read through the pages of the "Brew Days" "it's Kegging time" and others, I marvel at the time and Gear some of you guys have.

My experience had been different, I've only been doing this 6 months. I will not move to Keg's (I thought about it).

The Kit was a gift along with a bottle caper. My neighbour drinks longnecks and gave me over 200 (I gave him beer I brewed).

Picked up an extra Fementer and some extra gear $35

Wifi Inkbird $50. Monster brew fridge $50. Three extra fementers, given by mates who don't use them.

A brew for myself cost's roughly: $17 for a can of Coopers pale. $10 for LDM (I bought a 20k bulk pack) I few $ for hops.

I've spent $135 on gear, add the kit $235

A brew cost's Roughly $30 For roughly 30 longnecks.

I was buying for the Wife and Myself 5 cartons a fortnight.

So after 8 brews I'm a ways in front, I'm up to brew 33 and I'm drinking better Beer.

We are all different and we all have different results

But I am saving Money.

😀🍻

You WILL save money I was comparing it with going to the Pub 3,4,5 days a week spending say &25-$45 a night  which isn't that hard, my point was that is why we brew our own !!

• Like 2

@DavidM great to hear that you are brewing good tasting beer and saving some money. Sometimes what happens though is that we pursue excellence and then we take that little peek down the rabbit hole. I can tell you that hole can be pretty damn deep!

If you are happy with KnK, and don't get me wrong you can brew some fantastic beer via the KnK route, then you are in a good place.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Hi @DavidM, you will move to kegging.  I guarantee it.

Call me in a year.

If it’s mainly for saving money, it’ll be moving to AG. KnKs save a load for sure but I end up buying lots of kit left, right and center. Boys and their toys and all that…
The Coopers recipes mean you make some absolutely blinder Artisan-style brews at a fraction of the cost of the offerings from your local hipsters 🤣

Can’t remember when I last had any megaswill I paid for myself. Not in a hurry to do so any time soon either.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Hi @DavidM, you will move to kegging.  I guarantee it.

Call me in a year.

Don't be too sure, Shamus. I'm now into my 5th year of brewing and while I admit I've had moments of keg envy over that time, I've decided the time, effort and money to go kegging isn't worth it for me. Everyone to their own.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MUZZY said:

Don't be too sure, Shamus. I'm now into my 5th year of brewing and while I admit I've had moments of keg envy over that time, I've decided the time, effort and money to go kegging isn't worth it for me. Everyone to their own.

Yes Muzzy I tend to agree, I like the idea of kegging & I also have my share of 'keg envy' but everyday there seems to be somebody discussing a problem with something, it's either gas, lines, fittings, attachments, psi & so on. Bottling definitely has to be simpler but of course it can have it's ups & downs.

I am not pro-kegging, I am weighing up the extra knowledge, equipment, expense, effort etc needed to get it organised. 

I definitely would go a Kegerator if I was going to make the move as several of my mates have them albiet that 2 of them buy their kegs of beer already made for them & just hook it up.

So the debate continues, I will eventually will get sick of bottling with so many fermenters but for the time being I will sit back & see what develops.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

but everyday there seems to be somebody discussing a problem with something, it's either gas, lines, fittings, attachments, psi & so on. Bottling definitely has to be simpler but of course it can have it's ups & downs.

Yep. Being a guy who gets frustrated with things not going smoothly, as soon as something went wrong with my kegs (if I had them) I'd be getting stressed over drinking beer. This is not what God wanted when he invented beer. 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

8 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

Yep. Being a guy who gets frustrated with things not going smoothly, as soon as something went wrong with my kegs (if I had them) I'd be getting stressed over drinking beer. This is not what God wanted when he invented beer. 🤣

No, life is stressful enough, we don't need to be stressed about drinking beer !!

• Like 2

well the art of making beer can go from big money to a small budget and where you want to take your brewing

to me  brewing my own is not about the saving the money on price of beer   

just last night i spent 150 smackeronies on craft beer at the Local taproom   mind you i dont drink much through the week 

its about the good beer i get to taste at the end of what i made

• Like 3