Coopers Community

Poor head quick fix

Oldbloke

Sooo, I've been doing this for years but just a bit more sofisicated now.

Occassionally you might get a glass of semi-flat beer. Probably due to dirty or wet glass as in this case. If you do just drop in a kids marble that has had the surface roughed up a bit. Bit like sand blasting. I did this one on a bench grinder. Some pebbles work too. (Started doing it this way)

Before and after pic attached.

Obviously better to get the glass right in the first place.

20220126_165452.jpg

20220126_165504.jpg

20220126_165746.jpg

• Like 6

1 hour ago, oldbloke said:

Sooo, I've been doing this for years but just a bit more sofisicated now.

Occassionally you might get a glass of semi-flat beer. Probably due to dirty or wet glass as in this case. If you do just drop in a kids marble that has had the surface roughed up a bit. Bit like sand blasting. I did this one on a bench grinder. Some pebbles work too. (Started doing it this way)

Before and after pic attached.

Obviously better to get the glass right in the first place.

20220126_165452.jpg

20220126_165504.jpg

20220126_165746.jpg

Love It, simple and effective

what else do you need!

• Like 3

@oldbloke  just get yourself some etched glasses

i get your marble and stone trick  as it is the minerals with in the marbles and stones that is interacting with the beer
but at a safety point of view   its alittle bit dangerous  as you may not have cleaned up the marble  and loose shards of marble could flake off 
that you wasnt aware off ..

even with the stone you may not know where that stones has been.  some animal may have added more flavour to the stone and your putting it in your beer

• Like 1

On 1/26/2022 at 10:11 PM, iBooz2 said:

@jamiek86 , that is a bit crass.  Are you sure you would not like to delete your post?   That is before Aunty Jack rips your bloody arms off.

would you also like to delete this? think it's a bit inappropriate suggesting violence and a gruesome act of ripping someone's arms off.

3 hours ago, ozdevil said:

@oldbloke  just get yourself some etched glasses

i get your marble and stone trick  as it is the minerals with in the marbles and stones that is interacting with the beer
but at a safety point of view   its alittle bit dangerous  as you may not have cleaned up the marble  and loose shards of marble could flake off 
that you wasnt aware off ..

even with the stone you may not know where that stones has been.  some animal may have added more flavour to the stone and your putting it in your beer

It has nothing to do with minerals. The rough surface (sharp edges, points) encourages the the saturated co2 to be released from the beer.  Obviously pebbles or marbles need to be clean. There is no risk associated with chips of glass being ingested.

The only risk is a potential of choking.

39 minutes ago, oldbloke said:

Yes a big choke hazard risk and also if kids see you do it then they will do it with their soft drinks and the like so definite NO NO from me.

If you cannot get nucleated glasses you can modify you own using an engraving tool to create lots of scratches and abrasions on the base of your glass-ware

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

@jamiek86 , my reference to Aunty Jack was an attempt to be lighthearted by using a line from the silly Australian comedy TV show, "you had better tune in next week or...."

I think Aunty Jack now works for Coopers as a moderator ha ha.

Its just that we all need to be careful on an open public forum as it's not just us talking with/to our boozed up mates around a fire-pit.  Whats said around a fire-pit stays at the fire pit but in here its different and we have women members and probably plenty of other women lurking but don't want to join in because it looks like a boozy boys club.  Just saying.  (maybe I should change my name) ha ha.😀

I did not want to start a ruckus, probably should have sent you a PM instead rather than an open thread fuss.

This post will be deleted shortly as to not corrupt this thread.   Sorry to OP and others.

Al why do you bother ??

@iBooz2 lol it's probably the samthat the Tasmanian show the devil asked me about. Either before my time or something that was not as bad as home and away and I forgot it. Yes the ausdevil already gave me a calm lecture about that same fact female members etc. You are right about the common feel around here boys club etc. That's just who I am a joker mainly although we all get serious I like a good muck around.  Point taken ill try to think before I post but no guarantees and it just would not be really me 😉

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Al why do you bother ??

why do you? your the only other one I have unfollowed on here I can only see what I click on of yours. I did this time because knew you would be chiming in.

We had a good understanding there for a while I don't comment or like anything you do and vice versa. You were not even leaving random emoji like the monkey/ape can we just keep it that way? it was nice

1 minute ago, jamiek86 said:

why do you? your the only other one I have unfollowed on here I can only see what I click on of yours. I did this time because knew you would be chiming in.

We had a good understanding there for a while I don't comment or like anything you do and vice versa. You were not even leaving random emoji like the monkey/ape can we just keep it that way? it was nice

Not going there Ace.

Holy F#^@, another sh&# fight over bloody nothing. Can't we just agree to think before we post and not go for the jugular if somebody doesn't? I'm here to talk beer and sh&#, I 'm here to learn things and help others. I am not here to get into sh&# fights or watch them.  I agree that we have to keep in mind that there are some women on here and possibly many more lurking but even if there weren't...

If you need better head and it is beer related, please ask. Other than that, there are establishments for that but this forum is not one of them. 

Now, back to beer. Any troubles with poor froth crown buildup and retention? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

54 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

Holy F#^@, another sh&# fight over bloody nothing. Can't we just agree to think before we post and not go for the jugular if somebody doesn't? I'm here to talk beer and sh&#, I 'm here to learn things and help others. I am not here to get into sh&# fights or watch them.  I agree that we have to keep in mind that there are some women on here and possibly many more lurking but even if there weren't...

If you need better head and it is beer related, please ask. Other than that, there are establishments for that but this forum is not one of them. 

Now, back to beer. Any troubles with poor froth crown buildup and retention? 

I totally agree @Aussiekraut absolute no need & not the place for it, this is Coopers Beer !!

@Aussiekraut good point but a bit over board a big statement like that you will want to make sure you don't ever or haven't posted anything off topic. News flash you have and you will again its seen on here every day by everyone. Starts off what's in fermenter or what are you drinking and ends up pages of other crap.

Great point no fighting totally agree this isn't even a dig at you. Daily occurrence off topic hijack threads and not many could say are innocent.

4 hours ago, oldbloke said:

It has nothing to do with minerals. The rough surface (sharp edges, points) encourages the the saturated co2 to be released from the beer.  Obviously pebbles or marbles need to be clean. There is no risk associated with chips of glass being ingested.

i'm sorry i am not at your education or experience of brewing 

you seem to be perfect in whatever you do

you have said this more ways the 1 @oldbloke

• Haha 1

now the topic is getting interesting and back on topic and about safety. Risk of swallowing the marble etc. Not just classic type reply being the yes man telling people what they want to hear.  This is coopers beer? talking to all grainers got me confused. 

@ozdevil please take your own advice gave me mate don't start an argument with old bloke. I mean one who has that name not the classic one 🤣

1 hour ago, ozdevil said:

i'm sorry i am not at your education or experience of brewing 

you seem to be perfect in whatever you do

you have said this more ways the 1 @oldbloke

I wasn't being a smart alek. I was just saying. 

If you have the glasses with the frosted base that's fine. The advantage of this is your able to use it in a normal unfrosted glass if needed. Perhaps a cubic version would be better, less likely to roll down your gullet. Lol

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, oldbloke said:

I wasn't being a smart alek. I was just saying. 

If you have the glasses with the frosted base that's fine. The advantage of this is your able to use it in a normal unfrosted glass if needed. Perhaps a cubic version would be better, less likely to roll down your gullet. Lol

i do apologise @oldbloke my previous post was a bit icy, and I shouldn't post or be on a pc when i have had skinful its a bad habit of mine.

i understood your intentions 

before the nucleated glasses (etched glasses)  alot of homebrewers got a diamond tipped jig that would fit in a drill and would rough up the bottom of the glass
creating a nucleated  bottom.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, ozdevil said:

i do apologise @oldbloke my previous post was a bit icy, and I shouldn't post or be on a pc when i have had skinful its a bad habit of mine.

i understood your intentions 

before the nucleated glasses (etched glasses)  alot of homebrewers got a diamond tipped jig that would fit in a drill and would rough up the bottom of the glass
creating a nucleated  bottom.

I was under the impression that Headmaster glasses have some sort of process going on at the bottom of the glass to aid head retention, some of my old schooner glasses also have it.