Coopers Community

Yeast for stout

Pints

Right, I'm doing a stout next. I have a spare draught and hefeweizen tin yeast in my fridge. Could I add any of these two with the stout kit yeast? Or am I better off buying a different type of yeast.

Recipe: 

1.7 stout tin

1kg DME 

200g or so of lactose

Cheers 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, PintsAtMeLocal said:

Right, I'm doing a stout next. I have a spare draught and hefeweizen tin yeast in my fridge. Could I add any of these two with the stout kit yeast? Or am I better off buying a different type of yeast.

Recipe: 

1.7 stout tin

1kg DME 

200g or so of lactose

Cheers 

You will be fine with just the Stout kit yeast.  In fact, if we are talking the Original Series Stout and the Original Series Draught, they are the same yeast. 

Not sure you should use a Hefeweizen yeast in a Stout.  Not saying it would be no good, just do not know.  Could be interesting though.  I am thinking: Chocolate/Roast from the grains; Banana from the yeast: Cream from the lactose.  Chocolate Banana Split?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

You will be fine with just the Stout kit yeast.  In fact, if we are talking the Original Series Stout and the Original Series Draught, they are the same yeast. 

Not sure you should use a Hefeweizen yeast in a Stout.  Not saying it would be no good, just do not know.  Could be interesting though.  I am thinking: Chocolate/Roast from the grains; Banana from the yeast: Cream from the lactose.  Chocolate Banana Split?

Much appreciated SOS. Yes OS both tins so maybe I'll just throw the draught in for good measure.  Chocolate banana split sounds fun tho 😂

52 minutes ago, Tone boy said:

Hey Pints

I would use the stout can yeast and the spare draught can yeast. Same yeast as Shamus mentioned. 
If you plan on buying a yeast I would go for MJ new world strong ale, or Nottingham. 
cheers TB

Cheers Tone much appreciated 

• Like 3

Put this one together today.

Stout tin, 1kg DME , 30min hop infusion taken off the boil with 20g Fuggles ( from the English stout recipe here ), 2 kit yeasts. Will probably do a 30g dry hop with the fuggles? Looking forward to my first stout 🍻

• Like 3

12 hours ago, PintsAtMeLocal said:

Put this one together today.

Stout tin, 1kg DME , 30min hop infusion taken off the boil with 20g Fuggles ( from the English stout recipe here ), 2 kit yeasts. Will probably do a 30g dry hop with the fuggles? Looking forward to my first stout 🍻

i like 20g of fuggles as a dry in dark ale or real ale cans, never done the stout but 30g should give you a lot of taste 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Stickers said:

i like 20g of fuggles as a dry in dark ale or real ale cans, never done the stout but 30g should give you a lot of taste 🙂

Cheers Stickers, u reckon I should dial back to 20g?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stickers said:

my homebrew shop is a bit of a scrooge and sells them in 40g and 80g bags so i usually only have 20g to play with. live large, go 30

Will do then mate, we get 100g bags only this side. Hasn't even been 24 hr amd the krausen is volcanic 😅

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/25/2021 at 11:32 AM, PintsAtMeLocal said:

Recipe: 

1.7 stout tin

1kg DME 

200g or so of lactose

Cheers 

Looks good mate, I fancy giving that a try: I followed the Coopers Irish  stout recipe but next time would like to up the hop count and try the lactose. Dunno how to source it where I am - how does yours come? A powder ?

1 hour ago, stquinto said:

Looks good mate, I fancy giving that a try: I followed the Coopers Irish  stout recipe but next time would like to up the hop count and try the lactose. Dunno how to source it where I am - how does yours come? A powder ?

I actually skipped the lactose. But yes a powder at my homebrew store. Think I will add it next time. Cheers brother

• Like 1

@PintsAtMeLocal Hey mate, if my memory serves me correctly you are in South Africa. Can you source any Coopers beers like Pale Ale there? Obviously it's too late for the stout you've already made but reactivating the yeast from Coopers beer made my last few stout brews really nice and I'd definitely recommend giving it a try. I've included a link for the how to do it video.

https://www.diybeer.com/au/brewing-support#video=Sw2Cu-BdqdA

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, MUZZY said:

@PintsAtMeLocal Hey mate, if my memory serves me correctly you are in South Africa. Can you source any Coopers beers like Pale Ale there? Obviously it's too late for the stout you've already made but reactivating the yeast from Coopers beer made my last few stout brews really nice and I'd definitely recommend giving it a try. I've included a link for the how to do it video.

https://www.diybeer.com/au/brewing-support#video=Sw2Cu-BdqdA

Cheers Muzz. Sadly no coopers beers available here in South Africa 

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, PintsAtMeLocal said:

Cheers Muzz. Sadly no coopers beers available here in South Africa 

Hey Pinto, just for interest sake what brands/type of Home Brew supplies are available in your neck of the wood's ? Sorry, probably an Aussie saying. 🇦🇺

Do you get Mangrove Jacks/Black Rock (NZ) or similar, it's a shame about the Coopers products.

16 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Hey Pinto, just for interest sake what brands/type of Home Brew supplies are available in your neck of the wood's ? Sorry, probably an Aussie saying. 🇦🇺

Do you get Mangrove Jacks/Black Rock (NZ) or similar, it's a shame about the Coopers products.

Classic,  no worries I understand the saying 😉 the only extract cans I've seen is the Coopers range amd Mr Beer cans this side. There are 2 HB shops in my radius that sell them. We can get most other things like grain amd hops etc at reasonable prices. I, like yourself, am happy to stick with the kits though.  It would be nice if a well known brewery this side would make something like the Coopers kits. I think it would sell well.

This is my go to shop.

https://www.beerlab.co.za/

Edited by PintsAtMeLocal

1 minute ago, PintsAtMeLocal said:

Classic,  no worries I understand the saying 😉 the only extract cans I've seen is the Coopers range this side. There are 2 HB shops in my radius that sell them. We can get most other things like grain amd hops etc at reasonable prices. I, like yourself, am happy to stick with the kits though.  It would be nice if a well known brewery this side would make something like the Coopers kits. I think it would sell well.

There appears to be quite a lot of activity & LBHS/Breweries in South Africa, I had a look around on the internet.  But then why wouldn't there be ? Beer is everywhere 😋

Hope you find a reliable stockist to support your hobby/need to drink 🤣

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, PintsAtMeLocal said:

Classic,  no worries I understand the saying 😉 the only extract cans I've seen is the Coopers range amd Mr Beer cans this side. There are 2 HB shops in my radius that sell them. We can get most other things like grain amd hops etc at reasonable prices. I, like yourself, am happy to stick with the kits though.  It would be nice if a well known brewery this side would make something like the Coopers kits. I think it would sell well.

This is my go to shop.

https://www.beerlab.co.za/

Looks good but they are displaying Coopers products ??       QUOTE: Cheers Muzz. Sadly no coopers beers available here in South Africa. 

Please Explain:  not sure if you have heard of Pauline Hanson ? 🙄

6 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

There appears to be quite a lot of activity & LBHS/Breweries in South Africa, I had a look around on the internet.  But then why wouldn't there be ? Beer is everywhere 😋

Hope you find a reliable stockist to support your hobby/need to drink 🤣

Yes I think South Africans and Aussies share a love for the beer! Covid and lockdowns managed to destroy a few craft brew businesses, amd I've noticed variety in the bottle stores is far less these says sadly. But it makes me more grateful that I can make my own beer using the Coopers range.  You can make craft quality beers in your own home!

1 minute ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Looks good but they are displaying Coopers products ??       QUOTE: Cheers Muzz. Sadly no coopers beers available here in South Africa. 

Please Explain:  not sure if you have heard of Pauline Hanson ? 🙄

I think Muzz meant the actual bottled Coopers range? Not the extract kits

• Like 1