Coopers Community

Beer tastes the same

fredpace

If you remember the old saying - "Oils ain't Oils"  you will find it applies to beer.

There are so many kinds of beer available & they are all brewed differently at different temperatures, with different adjuncts, i.e. Malt Extracts/Maltodextrin/Dextrose & with different yeasts, not to mention adding hops or anything else.

Sugar don't cut it, if you want great tasting beer you have to study the different styles & brew them accordingly. There is a vast difference to a Pale Ale or a Lager or a Draught.

Coopers have many recipes on their website it would be worth your while to study them & watch the videos & lose the sugar !!

Now you have opened a tin of worms so help is on it's way. Good Luck.

Cheers

Phil

• Like 3

Do you know this has got me thinking.  I wonder what a brew ( kit with kilo of white sugar ), would taste like these days with proper sanitisation and temperature controlled.

Then kegged.

I might even do one for shits and giggles.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

31 minutes ago, fredpace said:

I am a cheapskate, i use ordinary white sugar.

Temperature around 20 deg.  Brew for 6 to 7 days mostly.

Drink after 14 days or more.

Even just swapping out sugar for pure dextrose would improve your beer quite a lot.

1 minute ago, Red devil 44 said:

As the others have said, ditch the sugar @Fredspace

Buying the right fermentables/adjunts for the right brew aren't going to cost much compared to  the price of commercial megaswill so I would reconsider your thinking on the budget you have allowed for your beer making & start tasting some damn good homebrew. The advice on this forum offered is free & a most valuable to anyone who wants to take their beers to the next level. It worked for me & I know it has for others.

• Like 5

@Fredspace, start to have a look on the Coopers Recipe page mate & as they have some great K &K recipes, they also come with a difficulty rating starting at easy, intermediate etc.

This will give you ideas and once you make a few decent brews, the skies the limit.

‘There is a lot of experience on this forum, so you are in good hands. 

Happy brewing.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, fredpace said:

I am getting plenty of head, nice bubbles etc, just same tasting.

Should i go back to brew enhancer and carb drops?

By the way thanks everyone!

I brewed in the middle 70's with sugar & your description is exactly what we got, got ya pissed though, agree, lose the sugar, check the Coopers recipes, experiment a bit & run stuff past the guys if your not sure.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fredpace said:

I am getting plenty of head, nice bubbles etc, just same tasting

to elaborate on my post above, the white sugar ferments completely, leaving alcohol and carbon dioxide. No taste.
If you use the same brew enahncer for each brew - one with some malt innit - I think that would accentuate the can flavours and you'd have tasty beers, and I'm pretty sure they would all taste different.

• Like 3

On 10/11/2021 at 4:30 PM, Pale Man said:

Do you know this has got me thinking.  I wonder what a brew ( kit with kilo of white sugar ), would taste like these days with proper sanitisation and temperature controlled.

Then kegged.

I might even do one for shits and giggles.

Done one of these early on in the journey - trying to replicate a megaswill. Gave the resultant brew to a mate to have a taste and said it tasted like cider.......I have to agree. Haven't gone back to that well since.

• Haha 1

Hi @fredpace. Make light dry malt (or liquid malt if you prefer- some do)your go-to fermentable with almost any of the Cooper’s cans and you will make good, tasty beer. Simple sugar like white sugar, dextrose ,etc have a place in brewing but not as the major fermentable. The Germans don’t allow any sugar ,and they know a thing or two about beer. Try 1kg LDM in your next brew. You’ll be delighted at the difference.

2 hours ago, Worts and all said:

Hi @fredpace. Make light dry malt (or liquid malt if you prefer- some do)your go-to fermentable with almost any of the Cooper’s cans and you will make good, tasty beer. Simple sugar like white sugar, dextrose ,etc have a place in brewing but not as the major fermentable. The Germans don’t allow any sugar ,and they know a thing or two about beer. Try 1kg LDM in your next brew. You’ll be delighted at the difference.

That is definitely the best way to make better beer, keep a diary on each brew & note the ingredients down so that you can come back at anytime & review, you may want to try Liquid Malt Extract & another time Dried Malt Extract, that is the beauty of keeping records. Just use sugar for priming your bottles & you will notice a marked difference.