Coopers Community

Limited head life in glass

Fraser Brews

Looking for a bit of advice on how I can get my brews to hold a head better. Pretty new to brewing but the few I have put down taste great and seem to be plenty gassy  enough,( I did have to leave them sit for longer than two weeks but), they just don’t hold a head for too long. It’s not the glasses as I’ve made sure they are clean and no bubbles on the side so don’t think it’s the glasses. Any advice will be appreciated 

17 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

Sounds like you're doing the right things. Only other thing I can think of is to let the bottles condition for more than 2 weeks. They do improve with time.

Others on here might have some suggestions for you that I'm not aware of.

Thanks muzzy for getting back to me. I saw one of your tips about adding a cube of sugar as substitute to one of the carb drops and wondered if that might be worth a try.

There's a lot of info on this post. I started it a while ago. Unfortunately it goes on for 11 pages and there are no hard and fast answers.

However, my last brew with a wheat malt grain steep is pretty good.

If you go to my last post today, there may be some conclusions from all the speculation and observation.

I just didn't get any good results with 'Kit and Kilo' brew using 100% Light Dry Malt without anything else added. That was after several people telling me that the LDM would improve mouthfeel and head retention.

Mouthfeel, yes but for me no for head retention.

8 minutes ago, Fraser Brews said:

Thanks muzzy for getting back to me. I saw one of your tips about adding a cube of sugar as substitute to one of the carb drops and wondered if that might be worth a try.

The sugar cube will increase your carbonation as compared to carb drops but I don't think it will have much effect on head retention. More bubbles doesn't necessarily mean better head.

Edited by MUZZY
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

I agree. When you drink from a can or bottle people don't seem to care about it. So why is drinking from a glass any different?

I beg to disagree!  I rate a beer with no head as a very poor thing indeed. As for comparing it with a bottle or can,,I don’t. In my more foolish youthful days perhaps, but these days I look down on the habit of sucking from a bottle,or even worse, a can. I enjoy and insist upon a well presented beer in a nice glass or mug. with a generous foamy top. The look, the mouthfeel, the tiny bubbles releasing their store of sublime hop aromas. We go to a great deal of trouble to make it. What a pity not to enjoy at it’s very best!

• Like 2

Hello Fraser Brews, & welcome to the forum.

Generally if you wish to improve head retention you need to increase the final gravity (body) of your beer. Worts (unfermented beer) comprising of large amounts of simple sugars such as dextrose & table sugar ferment out to much lower levels leaving no body behind, thus reducing head retention.

For those just starting out & using kits, adding a portion of Maltodextrin (or corn syrup powder) into your brewing ingredients will help with improving head retention as they are largely unfermentable.

Perhaps give the following a try with your next brew.

Coopers Brew Enhancer 3

I hope that helps.

Lusty.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Panther Branch Brewing said:

Beer head is way over rated I think. If it tastes good it's good beer. 

They all taste better if they retain some head. There's a different flavour and mouthfeel you get from the head of the beer, which obviously complements the stuff underneath.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, King Ruddager said:

Head has an important effect on taste and aroma - some IPA glasses are designed to regenerate head as you drink from them.

I have the Spegelau IPA, Stout and Tulips, all them help beer taste better, but the design of the IPA generates head with each glass tilt.

I used to think glasses couldn't make a difference, but a beer tasting night proved it. Some beers it was subtle, others it was far more obvious.

Edited by Lab Cat
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Worts and all said:

I beg to disagree!  I rate a beer with no head as a very poor thing indeed. As for comparing it with a bottle or can,,I don’t. In my more foolish youthful days perhaps, but these days I look down on the habit of sucking from a bottle,or even worse, a can. I enjoy and insist upon a well presented beer in a nice glass or mug. with a generous foamy top. The look, the mouthfeel, the tiny bubbles releasing their store of sublime hop aromas. We go to a great deal of trouble to make it. What a pity not to enjoy at it’s very best!

Everyone to their own.

45 minutes ago, James Lao said:

250g of wheat DME will do the trick.

All my beers have this amount in and all have great head retention and lacing.

Upping the hops levels will probably won’t do any harm either.

I prefer my beers poured into a glass as well!

Cheers

James

Interesting your inclusion of wheat. I get good heads without it, but always looking for ways to improve. I have fond memories of beers in the north of England, uncarbonated cask ales, which used torrified wheat. They had a beautifully smooth mouth feel and a rich, creamy head. Any experience with that? I think I may be tempted to try some wheat dme soon. Cheers.

• Like 1