Coopers Community

How To Gain The Most From Your Hops

Beerlust

8 hours ago, Goldcoast Crow said:

Hahaha just checked my dates on my first hop bag trial, it's been in the fv for 15days so it's getting a good going over.... hopefully I can get them in the bottles in the next few days..... is there an issue with leaving the wort in the fv for too long?

Yeast autolysis is one thing, minor oxygen exposure that can increase the rate of degradation of the beer is another.

Some dry hop varieties (& particularly whole hop cones) can throw a grassy trait if left exposed to the wort for lengthy periods.

Cheers & best of luck with the brew,

Lusty.

• Like 1

@Shamus O'Sean thats the trick isnt it, what hops? I was thinking Hallertau, Hersbrucker, Ringwood or Saaz. Ill still use the full 12g but just shorten the steeping time.  Its the first time I have done a larger and while i appreciate this is meant to ferment at very low temps (I have it at 14c) its been close to 70 hours since i pitched and still no action at all!! 

On 6/26/2020 at 4:16 PM, James Lao said:

Hi Lusty,

I think from memory I did try your squeezing the Hop bag Method once with really good results, noticeable at the glass!

But that was before I started cold crashing, and I am overly paranoid about fishing around in the FV for the hop bag!!

I tie string to mine and wedge it in the lid - keeps it out of the trub and makes it easy to fish it out.  I also put a stainless spoons in the knot of the bag to weight it down and get it below the surface.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Goldcoast Crow said:

Hahaha just checked my dates on my first hop bag trial, it's been in the fv for 15days so it's getting a good going over.... hopefully I can get them in the bottles in the next few days..... is there an issue with leaving the wort in the fv for too long?

Not so much the wort but leaving the hops in there can give off flavours you may not want. I've seen recommendations based on the chemistry and user experience suggesting at 3 days in the wort the hops have done pretty much all they will do and after a few more days the experience goes downhill. I haven't tried long dry hops at all so YMMV.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, The Barwon Brewer said:

@Shamus O'Sean thats the trick isnt it, what hops? I was thinking Hallertau, Hersbrucker, Ringwood or Saaz. Ill still use the full 12g but just shorten the steeping time.  Its the first time I have done a larger and while i appreciate this is meant to ferment at very low temps (I have it at 14c) its been close to 70 hours since i pitched and still no action at all!! 

@Beerlust can probably better advise on dry hop choice. You might not get much from the H's or Saaz. They are all pretty low alpha acids, but even that is more about bittering capability.  Ringwood is more a bittering hop than aroma.

I have only dry hopped with Hallertauer and did not get much aroma from three days of dry hopping.

Edited by Shamus O'Sean

Hello Barwon Brewer, & welcome to the forum.

23 hours ago, The Barwon Brewer said:

...Its the first time I have done a larger and while i appreciate this is meant to ferment at very low temps (I have it at 14c) its been close to 70 hours since i pitched and still no action at all!! 

This area is more of a concern right now.

Has this brew begun fermenting yet?
Is there any condensation on the lid of the fermenter?
Has a krausen formed yet?
What was your original recipe?
Did you pitch any extra yeast?
Are you fermenting under ambient conditions, or are you using a form of temperature control?

Cheers,

Lusty.

6 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

Are you fermenting under ambient conditions, or are you using a form of temperature control?

Cheers,

Lusty.

Great points.  I think I am too involved in this brewing and Forum caper. 

Last night in bed I was thinking about a post by somebody who said that they had a brew going for 70 hours without activity.  I could not remember the post or the topic, so I could not find it.  I just crossed my fingers and hoped somebody else would help out.

Then I stumble across this post this morning.  Good job Lusty.  I am glad you brought me back to this topic.

A point I was going to mention was for @The Barwon Brewer to check his SG.  You might not see much happening, but if your SG has dropped then fermentation is underway.

• Haha 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/15/2020 at 8:33 AM, Shamus O'Sean said:

Great points.  I think I am too involved in this brewing and Forum caper. 

Last night in bed I was thinking about a post by somebody who said that they had a brew going for 70 hours without activity.  I could not remember the post or the topic, so I could not find it.  I just crossed my fingers and hoped somebody else would help out.

Then I stumble across this post this morning.  Good job Lusty.  I am glad you brought me back to this topic.

A point I was going to mention was for @The Barwon Brewer to check his SG.  You might not see much happening, but if your SG has dropped then fermentation is underway.

It all fired off and went off without a hitch.  I split that batch and dry hopped half.  It all tasted, and smelt pretty good as it went into the bottle so we will keep our fingers crossed and see what its all like in a month or two! 

• Like 1

On 7/14/2020 at 8:39 AM, Waynealford said:

Might be off topic a smidge, but has anyone dry-hopped Ginger beer with something like Amarillo to get a fruity aroma?  What was the outcome?

I am in the midst of a ginger beer brew at present.  I have done a half batch (10l) i did it with Dry Malt only (no extra sugar) I steeped the ginger and added a whole lot of other flavors, during the steep.... I am going to add a cascade dry hop towards the end of the fermentation.  When I go to bottle, ill add a sweetener, this is all experimentation but as I got a whole bunch of Ginger for a good price it seemed like a great idea.  As and aside i made a Ginger and Molasses Cake with the slurry! 

• Like 1

On 7/15/2020 at 8:20 AM, Beerlust said:

Cheers,

Lusty.

It took some time, I ended up pitching a second yeast and away it went! 

• 3 weeks later...

Depending on the hop and the oils it produces a 100c boil will increase certain aromatics and flavours like grapefruit, fruit and tropical aromas and or black currant.

So with that said, I was wrong and you can get up to 3 times more aroma from some hops used in the boil versus a whirlpool temp, lower than 100c and around 92c from the study. But you can also extract other characteristics at whirlpool temps that hold the flavour longer, but again it depends on the hops more so than the amounts but I am sure the amounts can make up for poor hop selection, but this is about efficiency and extracting as much from the hops with timing and selections of hops.

If anyone has time have a read let me know what your thoughts are. The main thing is it isn't all hops that show these characteristics, it depends on the oil make up and what is released at certain temps. I think the article explains the cause of cat piss aroma, due to whirlpooling certain hops high in a specific oil at around 92c or lower versus 100c or dry hopping, but I might of misread that bit, it was a fair bit to take in and I will reread it for sure. 

http://scottjanish.com/survivables-unpacking-hot-side-hop-flavor/

• Like 2