Coopers Community

New to brewing beer

John1581

Welcome to the forum John1581.

I use an old version of "Word" on my computer.

That way no-one can track the info I pen down, or my attached private info & use that data to coerce or bombard me toward stupid offers for things I don't want.

I wonder if Kelsey is still writing stuff down? 😜

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Like 1

I used Brew Tracker for ages.  Over 70, mostly extract Coopers style brews.  I have let it slip since doing a few All Grain (AG) brews.

I found it simple to use.  But moving to AG, Brew Tracker is pretty limited.

Until you graduate to AG I would suggest Brew Tracker.

Things like Beersmith are a bit over the top if you are just doing Coopers hopped extract with some basic additions.

I found all the brewing apps too complicated. I only do kit brewing, and none of them are specific for this, it's extract or all grain. Too much info for me to bypass to do a recipe.

I found others clunky  to work with. The Coopers recipes and the spreadsheet is probably the go to start with - you don't want to be trying to create stuff yourself, when Coopers have already done plenty of work on these.

Pale ales are pretty easy to knock up when you're up and running though. Coopers APA, malt and adding a combo of the many hops available for Pales, can make different pale ale style and flavours.

On 4/13/2020 at 8:30 PM, John1581 said:

Hi everyone I'm new to this. What is the best app to record your brew info on. 

Welcome to brewing M8. 

May you enjoy the experience and your brews will improve vastly as your knowledge increases. Some good blokes in here and plenty of banter.

Must say never got past a brewing notebook (pen & paper version). Worked for me so far through fire, flood & power cuts...…...

Cheers YB

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

Those night vision goggles must have been damn expensive. 😉

Yeah honestly Lusty... have had a few shockers with Power Outages through the fires and then with not a hint of smoke or storm most of Easter Sunday.... after a while yer just...

But bottled gas still works so you can keep on brewing... bad very bad for cooling power... it it was my place I'd be getting some solar power backup.

And although a lot of my AG beer recipes do find their way into electronica for posterity's sake, they usually start with my and @YeastyBoy's trusty pen and paper.

And may I echo YB's sentiments - welcome to the fray @John1581 ; )

Edited by Bearded Burbler
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

...and then with not a hint of smoke or storm most of Easter Sunday.... after a while yer just...

That's just God &@#$in' with ya.

He seems to find enough time in his busy schedule to torment me fairly regularly to his own amusement. I find he has a very warped sense of humour.

This is how the phrase "chin up" came about. Because when you're feeling down & you lift your chin up you're looking straight in the direction of the one responsible for your torment. 😉

Chin up. 🤣

Lusty.

• Haha 1