Coopers Community

Leftover hops ... again

King Ruddager

Got some grains for a nice pale (27 litres), now I just have to decide how to use the following:

• 70g Cascade
  • 35g Centennial
  • 70g Chinook
  • 35g Citra
  • 60g Columbus
  • 40g Mosaic

Do any of those not play nicely together?

Perhaps I'll put the 70g of Cascade in for flavour and dry hop all the Centennial, Citra and Mosaic

... nah, maybe instead I'll use Citra and Mosaic late and dry hop with Cascade and Colombus

... nah

Ugh, this is hard.

Falconers flight with mosaic? I am just spot balling here, but yeah if you used them all then they you will get that blend. You could do 5g of each all late whirlpool or from 15min down or something. Then you could do a dry hop with different ratios but same blend going high with citra, mosaic and choose your next favourite.

My other spit ball is maybe Chinook, citra and mosaic starting at 15min down and then a nice dry hop with the remainder of the hops and boosted by centennial, cascade or/and Columbus? Really you cannot go wrong with any of them, but I have never used Columbus.

• Like 1

Well Mosaic starts with 'M' so that's going to clash. 

I assume you're bittering with Magnum? If so I'd just roughly split the amounts in half and do all 6 varietals at flameout and dry hop. If not, I'd bitter with Centennial and split the rest as above. 

Cheers, 

John 

The Mosaic has a very unique aroma so I'd likely use it as part of the dry hop, rather than lose a lot of those aroma traits by boiling it. I like Columbus as a dry hop too, more than I do in the boil. The Chinook has a nice light spicy tone to it if boiled to go with it's citrusy/grapefruit tones. Citra is a very smooth co-humulone hop that is better used mid to late in the boil or dry hopping as it lacks a bit if used as a long boiled bittering hop. The others you can pretty much use wherever you like in the processes. Actually, you can use any of them wherever you like, it's your brewery & your beer. 😋

Nice selection of hops that should make for a lovely Pale or IPA type beer.

Best of luck with whatever you decide to put down.

Lusty.

• Like 1

Maybe get 2 smaller cubes, do your mash/boil and bittering addition with the magnum, then don't add any hops at whirlpool. Transfer half and half of the batch into 2 cubes, then add cube hops of different combos of what you have on hand and see how a they compare with their own respective dry hops.

1 hour ago, karlos_1984 said:

Maybe get 2 smaller cubes, do your mash/boil and bittering addition with the magnum, then don't add any hops at whirlpool. Transfer half and half of the batch into 2 cubes, then add cube hops of different combos of what you have on hand and see how a they compare with their own respective dry hops.

I've planned it so that this one will be dumped onto the yeast cake from my FWK amber ale, so ... hmmm ... well I could split it at that point for different dry hops, but nah, I'll likely want to use my other fermenter for something else next week anyway

21 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

My leftovers pale ale was a bit like that, at least in the dry hop. Really enjoyable beer though...

I did a left-overs PA about a year ago, used a whole bunch of unknown hops that were being discarded at the LHBS.  Discarded because they were bagged with details that were originally written on the package with a marker pen that had later rubbed off.   It was a gamble using them but the PA was actually very nice... and one I'll never be able to brew again! 

• Haha 3

30 minutes ago, BlackSands said:

I did a left-overs PA about a year ago, used a whole bunch of unknown hops that were being discarded at the LHBS.  Discarded because they were bagged with details that were originally written on the package with a marker pen that had later rubbed off.   It was a gamble using them but the PA was actually very nice... and one I'll never be able to brew again! 

Did you just use all the random hops as a dry hop, or did you throw some into a boil? I suppose a dry hops pretty safe but I wouldn't be boiling unknown hops, could be bitter AF

14 minutes ago, karlos_1984 said:

Did you just use all the random hops as a dry hop, or did you throw some into a boil? I suppose a dry hops pretty safe but I wouldn't be boiling unknown hops, could be bitter AF

As I said... it was a gamble!  But actually... it was all dry-hop.  I used a known quantity, though quite old hops (also up for grabs at the LHBS) for late bittering additions...  and I do recall those hops were Styrian Goldings.

Edited by BlackSands