Coopers Community

Second brew, and very Little Happening

Abbot-67

Hi , 

Well last night I decided to start my second brew.

I'd been looking and waiting for a suitable fridge to come up for sale and finally manage to bag a nice good conditioned one.

For my second brew I opted for and Amber Ale tin with additions of extra DME (1.2kg) and hops, with the intention of aiming for an American Pale Ale.

OG = 1050

I am using US-05 yeast, which I hydrated before use, hence the problem. 😖

I started the rehydration of the yeast (100ml, sterile water at 30C) while I was added the wort and cooled water to the FV. Unfortunately the Wort temp after topping up turned out at 26.5C, which was higher than I had hoped. So I tried cooling the Wort by putting the FV straight into the fridge (which was already down to 18C) to help bring the temp down to 22C.

It was about 2.5hrs before I added the yeast cream to the wort at 21.5C. 

,Although I put the yeast solution into the fridge once I realised the wort was going to take a while too cool, My concern is thatI left the hydrated yeast for too long and it died of starvation before I added it to the cooled wort. 

After 11 hrs at 18C I still have no yeast activity that I am aware of.

There is something settling at the bottom of the FV and this has increased over the last 3hrs. Is this protein or yeast?

I have another packet of US-05, should I just add it to be safe (dry or hydrated?), or wait another few hours.

My sanitation was good throughout but at this stage I am getting concerned about infection.

Thanks in advance

20190929_121715.jpg

20190929_121409.jpg

20190929_121434.jpg

Although your rehydration process went on way too long, it might not be stuffed just yet. 11 hours isn't a long time, I'd be more concerned if it got out to 36-48 hours before anything visible was happening. I usually find that yeast takes about 18-24 hours for anything to appear. 

Personally I would have just pitched it into the wort at 26 degrees then put it in the fridge to come down to 18. It's a better idea than waiting, and it won't kill the yeast or ruin the beer.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Although your rehydration process went on way too long, it might not be stuffed just yet. 11 hours isn't a long time, I'd be more concerned if it got out to 36-48 hours before anything visible was happening. I usually find that yeast takes about 18-24 hours for anything to appear. 

Personally I would have just pitched it into the wort at 26 degrees then put it in the fridge to come down to 18. It's a better idea than waiting, and it won't kill the yeast or ruin the beer.

Thanks, I keep waiting.

My reason for leaving it was that I thought it was best to get it as close to 20C as possible. My last brew was pitched at 26C and was fine, I should have gone for it as you said. 

So any idea what the sediment might be at this stage ?

I do prefer pitching at or even a bit below fermentation temp but if it's a situation where it's either pitch the yeast or leave the wort sitting around for hours, always pitch the yeast, provided the temperature isn't high enough that it will actually kill the yeast. Anything in the 20s is fine. 

The sediment is probably a combination of things; proteins, yeast, other waste products. 

• Like 1

Looks like you got some condensation in there which could be from cooling it with the lid on, or it’s actually starting to get going.

I doubt it’s dead, but it might just be getting started now at the best on times.

US05 can be a slow one to get a krausen, but once it does you’ll be waiting for it to drop! I’ve had one hang around about 8 days.

• Like 2

Thanks  for the reassurances  😀

You were right, it seems those few bubbles in the middle may have been the start of it.

Just checked it again.  

After approximately 17hrs from the time I pitched, there seems to be a Krausen forming 😅.

20190929_190822.jpg

Edited by Abbot-67
  • Like 3

Glad it came good for ya mate!

Like Otto said, I would've pitched the yeast at 26degC.

Rehydrating yeast is done at around 30degC, so don’t think it would harm it at 26degC.

As long as you have a temp controlled fridge that is, and get it to ferment temps ASAP.

Happy days!!

Cheers

James

• Like 1

Well, it's now been 9 days since I pitched the yeast and 8 days since a good a mount of Krausen appeared. I'm still waiting for the Krausen to drop! ( Newbrews you were right!)

The Krausen has reduced by 5-10mm, and there's not as much activity. I've just increased the temperature from 18 to 21 to keep fermentation going into the secondary stage. 

I was hoping to have gone on to add the dry hops today but it looks as though that won't be happening for a while 🙄.

The Krausen looks really thick and creamy, not a light foam, more of a thick dense insulation foam, is that normal for US05 ?

The gravity is presently 1017 down from 1051, estimated FG is 1014.

The sample tasted great, really fruity, smooth,  and no off flavours.

I guess I just need to sit tight and be patient before adding the dry hops ? 

Is it too late to harvest some yeast from the top ?

20191007_135421.jpg

20191007_135704.jpg

Edited by Abbot-67
Grammer!
  • Like 1

Ahh yes the good ol' US-05 Krausen.

It will get thinner and once it gets to that stage you should be right to drop the hops in and they will break through the Krausen.

In the past I have had US-05 Krausens that have not dropped until I have cold crashed. They tend to stick around and never want to drop - needing some help to get rid of it.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, MitchellScott said:

.....once it gets to that stage you should be right to drop the hops in and they will break through the Krausen.

Hi and thanks,

So it will be ok to dry hop at the stage it's at now  ?

In a bag ?

Edited by Abbot-67

2 minutes ago, Abbot-67 said:

Hi and thanks,

So it will be ok to dry hop at the stage it's at now  ?

In a bag ?

I always dry hop in a bag but its personal preference.

I would let it subside a little more. Its still quite thick at the moment so you would run the risk of it not breaking through. Give it a few days and it should get thinner as fermentation stops. You might even get lucky and it might fall on its own.

Mitch.

• Like 1

Thanks Shamus, 

It's still looking nice and Creamy, infact since I increased  the temp from 18 to 21 things have gotten even creamier... again. 

If it looks good tomorrow I may have a go at top cropping. 🥄🍦

• Like 1

Long lag times can be unsettling, the longest I had was getting on for 3 days before there was visible signs of activity.  The strains I use these days though are usually well under way inside of 12 hours - far more reassuring!   By the way,  Fermentis now say there's no need to rehydrate their yeast:    https://fermentis.com/en/news-from-fermentis/technical-reviews/e2u-direct-pitching/

🤓

• Like 1

I didn't get to Top Crop, when I got back yesterday the Krausen had reduced by 15-20mm, and looked drier. still waiting or the rest to go, so may scoop it out this evening and get some hops in.

Thanks Blacksands, The Lag time was unsettling. From the comments and a bit more research I now realise that it quite normal for it to go 17hrs.  I had also read the info from Fermentis regarding rehydration, I'll dry pitch next time and compare.

To late, I scooped it. 

I dropped the hops in this evening. The Krausen had reduced considerably and was just a crust on top,  but I scooped it anyway.  Probably wasn't worth all the effort of sterilising the scoop and risking infection, but it's done.  🙄

Fingers crossed. 

The gravity is down from 1051 to 1013, I still need to leave it for maybe 3 days to ensure its constant. The FG estimate was 1014.

I intend to leave the hops in for 7 days prior to bottling.

But, do I leave the hops for 7 days before cold crashing, or can I start CC with the hops in and as soon as the FG is constant ?

I would give the hops 4 days in the FV, that should be plenty of time. If you CC with the hop bag in there it will drop to the bottom and disturb your yeast and wort when you fish it out. So I'd take it out before crashing.

You can reuse the yeast slurry. Leave a bit of beer in the bottom after you've bottled it, swirl and bottle the yeast. Keep it in the fridge.

• Like 1