Coopers Community

Red

Any tips on reddening (or even just darkening) an otherwise fairly light beer without adding too much dryness or roastiness?

My typical go-to for this is roasted barley, which is usually fine, but I was just wondering what other options there are and what effects they'll have.

I second Caraaroma and black malt. It's in my red ale as well (25 litres) and gives a lovely red colour. I usually use 70-75g black malt but I can't taste it. If you don't want it quite as dark then use less of course. 

The Caraaroma gives a nice toffee/caramel flavour from the 300g I use in the recipe. If you just wanted the colour then a bit of black malt would do the trick without really affecting flavour. 30-40g perhaps. 

I also use black malt in my pilsners to achieve a more golden colour instead of pale straw. About 10-15g in these, 21 litre batches.

20190518_114758.thumb.jpg.b30184f184702a6e0bb3cddc1d7a6848.jpg

20190428_112729.thumb.jpg.c0f119f0b20df8bead5c406dc382a610.jpg

Edited by Otto Von Blotto
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I second Caraaroma and black malt. It's in my red ale as well (25 litres) and gives a lovely red colour. I usually use 70-75g black malt but I can't taste it. If you don't want it quite as dark then use less of course. 

The Caraaroma gives a nice toffee/caramel flavour from the 300g I use in the recipe. If you just wanted the colour then a bit of black malt would do the trick without really affecting flavour. 30-40g perhaps. 

I also use black malt in my pilsners to achieve a more golden colour instead of pale straw. About 10-15g in these, 21 litre batches.

20190518_114758.thumb.jpg.b30184f184702a6e0bb3cddc1d7a6848.jpg

20190428_112729.thumb.jpg.c0f119f0b20df8bead5c406dc382a610.jpg

I third it then cause Otto and Captain said 🤣 

• Haha 1

So this is turning into a bit of a recipe thread now, but in the same way I have a "standard" pale mix of 85% base (schooner, MO, ale), 10% other base (usually munich) and 5% some other crystal I'm thinking a similar thing might work for lagers. In this case I've gone with 85% pils, 10% vienna and 5% caraaroma, plus a pinch of black malt for luck.

• Like 1

I don't think Caraaroma would suit a lager, but it depends on what you're trying to make. 

Actually I don't think really any crystal malt suits lagers other than maybe the light ones in small amounts. I used to use carared in my German lager but I don't bother anymore with the small black malt addition doing the same thing color wise.

5 hours ago, King Ruddager said:

Me either but I went with it anyway so we'll see what happens 🤣

For Lager of a 5kg grain load. Export PIlsner 2.5kg, Vienna 2kg and Amber 500g (for honey color). SAAZ hop and S23 yeast. Just sayin'. 😎

Edited by Worthog

7 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I don't think Caraaroma would suit a lager, but it depends on what you're trying to make. 

Actually I don't think really any crystal malt suits lagers other than maybe the light ones in small amounts. I used to use carared in my German lager but I don't bother anymore with the small black malt addition doing the same thing color wise.

I disagree. Lower levels of crystal malts are common place in lagers & have been for sometime. Mainly just to help throw a certain hue, not to impact boring flavours too much. 😋

A low level addition of CaraAroma in a lager grist would help to throw a light reddish hue on the beer if delivered at the right weight, without influencing flavour too much in a negative way given the intended approach of the beer.

Just my 5 cents,

Lusty.

Just now, Worthog said:

Is this an inflated opinion??

What happened to 2 cents worth?  😉😎

Cheers

🤣

Hairy made me move into the modern Australian currency age.

Is it an inflated opinion? No.....it just costs you more. 😉

Leave the extra 3 cents in the jar....

Lusty. 😁

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Lusty's opinion has been inflated ever since he joined the forum 😂

I haven't seen many lager recipes with any crystal in them at all aside from the odd Oktoberfest. 

I guess you've ignored posts by PB2 on the subject over all these years?

Hmmm...

Lusty.

39 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I wouldn't say ignored, maybe just not seen. I don't read every topic. 😜

My bad. Maybe just "missed" a few. 😉

Even in lager beers certain coloured hues can be produced without leaving heavy malt influences if researched & added at the right quantities.

Cheers,

Lusty.