Coopers Community

Your favorite/go to Extract Brew

Thought it would be interesting for those of us that Extract brew to list our go to/favorite Extract Brews.

Would definitely be a good thread to browse through when thinking about what to brew next 🙂

Post em up, any brand, any brew - what's your favorites?

Cheers, Mitch.

I obviously don't brew extract anymore but when I did, the one that stood out was Neill's Centenarillo ale. I only brewed it once but I have been thinking about doing an AG version. It was my first go at doing all the hopping myself and it was a cracking beer. 

I remember it used two 1.5kg tins of pale extract and 500g dextrose. I can't remember the hops exactly but there were three additions at 30, 20, and 10 minutes I think. I think I used a 6L boil, and I think it was 20g Centennial at 30, then 40g Amarillo at 20 and 40g Centennial at 10. US-05 yeast at 18 degrees. 23 litres.

There is actually a thread on here where I discussed it with the forum and worked out a hop schedule. I'll have to find it tomorrow. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I obviously don't brew extract anymore but when I did, the one that stood out was Neill's Centenarillo ale. I only brewed it once but I have been thinking about doing an AG version. It was my first go at doing all the hopping myself and it was a cracking beer. 

I remember it used two 1.5kg tins of pale extract and 500g dextrose. I can't remember the hops exactly but there were three additions at 30, 20, and 10 minutes I think. I think I used a 6L boil, and I think it was 20g Centennial at 30, then 40g Amarillo at 20 and 40g Centennial at 10. US-05 yeast at 18 degrees. 23 litres.

There is actually a thread on here where I discussed it with the forum and worked out a hop schedule. I'll have to find it tomorrow. 

Certainly sounds like a goodie. Let us know when you find the schedule and I'll have to jot it down for a future brew. 

I'll be looking for another brew to out down in a couple of days as my 150 lashes clone is just about done crashing. 

Cheers 🙂

Neill's Centennarillo was my first full extract beer and it was a really simple, yet tasty, beer. I made it a couple of times.

I have made a few extract beers in my time but can't really remember the recipes. I think there are some in the Coopers Recipe section.

Boiling regimes confuse me a bit ... so the regime of 30,20,10 .... what does that exactly mean .... I assume it is it is a 30 minute boil for the 1st addition and with 20 left the second addition is put in them with 10 to go the 3rd addition is put in .... is that correct ... 

1 minute ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

Boiling regimes confuse me a bit ... so the regime of 30,20,10 .... what does that exactly mean .... I assume it is it is a 30 minute boil for the 1st addition and with 20 left the second addition is put in them with 10 to go the 3rd addition is put in .... is that correct ... 

Yep that's exactly right.

20 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Found the old thread. Looks like there's more Amarillo in it than Centennial but it works well. Originally I was going to use Cascade but as noted in the thread I got hold of some Centennial.

Awesome, will check it out! Thanks man.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Found the old thread. Looks like there's more Amarillo in it than Centennial but it works well. Originally I was going to use Cascade but as noted in the thread I got hold of some Centennial.

Would you change the 500g dex out for more Malt or Wheat malt? Or is the dex in the recipe for a reason? Guessing that swapping it out for a form of malt will help with head retention and giving the beer a bit more body.

I dont do any full extract recipes anymore but i do partial ones regularly. Mine is easy. 4kg of pale malt mashed and split into 2 fermenters.  Can of Australian Pale Ale in each. Made to 21 litres. Using CCA yeast and fermented at 18c. Dry hop of 50gm of a C hop or a combo of galaxy and mosaic. If kegging i use 30gm keg hop. Its as easy to drink as it comes and tasty too. 

I'd leave it as is. It worked well. I suspect it's there to prevent the FG from being too high. Liquid extract doesn't seem to ferment as much as dry extract. It didn't make it taste watery or cidery or anything. 

If I brew an AG version I won't use dextrose though, because I can manipulate the FG with the mash temperature. 

• Like 1

My favorite kit and kilo with additions has always been the cerveza kit with either a nice big flameout addition and dry hop or if I want a little more hop flavour like a pale ale or something a 15 min and flameout addition. My favorite hop combo at the moment is citra and azacca for this brew. Easy brew that is quick and tastes great, pretty much the shark attack XPA but with more hops.

• Like 1

If I do full extract or partial mash, it is this recipe or something like it with different hops.

1 light lme 1.7 kg

700g dry malt light

300g wheat dry malt

250g dextrose

15g mosaic at 15 min

25g azacca and mosaic at flameout

50g of each dry hopped but I have been upping this to 150g total lately.

Nice beer.

Edited by Norris!
  • Thanks 1

Based on the 4 extract Saisons I brewed over summer... 

11l batch of Saison based on your Coopers LME tin of choice (I like the Wheat LME). 15 min hop boil for bittering, pitch saison yeast of choice (3726 is my favourite) once topped up in the fermenter.

Lots of variation possible, add LDM or do a partial mash for higher gravity, steep specialty grains if you want, add oak, coffee, fruit, herbs, spices if you like, add flameout / dry hops if you like.

Cheers, 

John

Edited by porschemad911
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, Norris! said:

My favorite kit and kilo with additions has always been the cerveza kit with either a nice big flameout addition and dry hop or if I want a little more hop flavour like a pale ale or something a 15 min and flameout addition. My favorite hop combo at the moment is citra and azacca for this brew. Easy brew that is quick and tastes great, pretty much the shark attack XPA but with more hops.

I will be putting down a shark attack XPA this weekend, keen to see how it goes. 

Looks like a nice tasty drop with decent alcohol content which is what I'm after 🙂

Edited by MitchellScott
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I've brewed quite a few hoppy Golden Ales - each time with a different 'feature' hop.  

• Malt base:  Coopers OS lager + 1.5kg Light LME
  • Steep grains: 200g each of Gladfield toffee and wheat.  (could use carahell or similar instead of toffee)
  • In the steeped grain wort boil 10 - 20g hop-of-choice for 10-15 mins (weight/time depends on hop AA) , 
  • 25g  'feature' hop at 5 mins
  • 25g  'feature' hop at flame out. 
  • Yeast: Mangrove Jacks M36

I'm  currently drinking a version that showcases Riwaka hops.   😋

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, porschemad911 said:

Hi BlackSands, what is your boil volume / diluted volume in the fermenter? Or are you doing a full volume boil? 

Cheers, 

John 

Boil volume?   Dunno....   I steep the grains in a few litres of water so I guess about that much!  23 litre batch.