Coopers Community

Cold steep quick oats

karlos_1984

I want to brew a beer tomorrow which makes use of quick oats.

Is it possible to cold steep these overnight? If I can avoid the time to do a hot steep tomorrow to make the overall brew and kitchen use time less, then it'll save SWMBO getting the shits about how long I've said the brew day will be that's all...

Found a thread on another forum answering my question. Can't be done, needs heat otherwise it just turns to porridge.

I didn't use any base malts when steeping last time and I got a nice cloudiness and body to my beer by just steeping in water. 

I read/heard somewhere that the process of making rolled oats into quick oats does some of that converting.  Therefore I think quick oats may not need to be mashed with a base malt to be converted.

Not sure, if that is the case, that you could do an overnight cold steep.  Worthy of more research?

1 minute ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

I read/heard somewhere that the process of making rolled oats into quick oats does some of that converting.  Therefore I think quick oats may not need to be mashed with a base malt to be converted.

Not sure, if that is the case, that you could do an overnight cold steep.  Worthy of more research?

Think you might be right there. 

Well I won't do this again. Last time I used normal oats that I smashed up with a rolling pin. Worked well, grain bag was easily cleaned. Used quick oats today and I've still got bits stuck in my grain bag. Its like glue. Hung it on the line and smashed it with the hose flat out, still wouldnt get the bits of oats out. Massive PITA...

I've used quick oats in a brew just steeped before I found out they had to be in with a base malt & mashed. It just created a starchy haze in the beer.

I didn't do it again. 😉

As Kelsey said though, it's your beer.

Lusty.

Yeah, starch haze is usually a result of poor practice somewhere in the brewing process rather than literally adding it by way of oats not going into the mash, which I suppose could be considered poor practice in itself. Either way it is a beer fault, and can cause problems as I understand it.  

8 hours ago, karlos_1984 said:

Well I won't do this again. Last time I used normal oats that I smashed up with a rolling pin. Worked well, grain bag was easily cleaned. Used quick oats today and I've still got bits stuck in my grain bag. Its like glue. Hung it on the line and smashed it with the hose flat out, still wouldnt get the bits of oats out. Massive PITA...

Try soaking it in sodium percarbonate. It may help to unclog it.

From what I recall when oats are cooked and rolled this gelatanises them. So they can be added to a mash as is. Similar to flaked oats/rice/quinoa.

They do need to be added to a mash with base malt because oats do not have sufficient enzymes to convert the starch on their own.

If they aren't processed like this and are raw grain then you will need to cereal mash. I've done this once with rice  so I could learn the process. Essentially cooking a rice porridge. I added a handful of crushed malt.to this sticky, thick porridge and it was amazing how quickly the enzymes got to work on the starcg. Within 30seconds it was thin and pourable. Then into the mash.

48 minutes ago, joolbag said:

From what I recall when oats are cooked and rolled this gelatanises them. So they can be added to a mash as is. Similar to flaked oats/rice/quinoa.

They do need to be added to a mash with base malt because oats do not have sufficient enzymes to convert the starch on their own.

If they aren't processed like this and are raw grain then you will need to cereal mash. 

That’s the one!!! Cheers for clarifying Joolbag. 

Archived